iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about what loggers will and will not take

Started by beemickdee, January 13, 2014, 09:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing

Kemper,

The tops are not the real issue, the 3' black walnut and big red oak, combined with the statement by the OP that the landowner most likely would want to be paid for his wood are where the issue is created.  Where does one draw the line?  Is scrapping out the old JD tractor parked behind the barn OK because it has been there for 5 years and the owner did not specifically say not to get rid of it?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Claybraker

I'll agree the horse has been beat to death, but here's my take as an absentee landowner.

If someone is doing something on my land, I kinda like to know about it. Depending on the activity, I may or may not care, but I absolutely want to know what's going on.

Jeff

The horse aint dead until it is dead.  The horse keeps getting up and trying to bite the vet is the problem. The original poster is the one that keeps coming back and firing this back up Kemper.

And why the hell would you come on here and pretend to have talked to the guy? A bit underhanded as well. More than a bit >:(
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I guess some will never get involved in organizations such as this?

http://www.woodtheft.ca/e/brochure_e.htm

And some of us will get involved. Just depends on your conscience I guess. Kinda leaves no guessing on who to entrust their property with.

Absantee owners are the prime target.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kemper

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."  (Benjamin Franklin)

I'm sure I shouldn't have said that, but everyone has said their peice. It's good sound advice, falling on deaf ears. Nothing is going to change. Let's put our efforts and insights to use in a more productive manner. I was hoping that my statement would end the discussion.

Quote from: Jeff on March 27, 2014, 04:54:55 PM
The horse aint dead until it is dead.  The horse keeps getting up and trying to bite the vet is the problem. The original poster is the one that keeps coming back and firing this back up Kemper.

And why the hell would you come on here and pretend to have talked to the guy? A bit underhanded as well. More than a bit >:(

Jeff

As long as someone thinks that timber theft is okay, then this won't be dropped.  You sir can hope all you want, if you think that the owner of this site is going to drop it you are wrong. I suggest if you don't like it, or don't want to see it or read it, don't tune in to this topic.   

If someone is taking forest products from land that is not theirs, without knowledge or permission of the owner, it is timber theft until said owner of the property deems it not to be. Said owner clearly has no say in something he knows nothing about.  I'll beat it until its a bloody pulp if I have to. >:(
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Small Slick

Quote from: beemickdee on January 13, 2014, 09:25:59 PM
Hey folks-

I'm new here, just registered! I live on a farm that was my wife's family's farm. Now it's owned by a landowner; the farm space is rented by a farmer up the road from us, and we pay rent to him. When my in-laws still lived here, my father in-law installed an OWB, and got most of his wood from the excavating company he worked for. After they moved, our neighbor, who also worked for that company, was able to get us substantial amounts of wood in addition to cutting dead fall from a stand of trees on the property. He moved, too.

So, last winter I went out to the stand and cut down about 10 trees, mostly walnut, and that's gotten us through most of this winter. At the end of last winter, I went out and cut down a few more, and started cutting them into rounds and left them there to get later in anticipation for the winter we're experiencing now, as well as next winter. The farmer never told me to stop, and we've never met the landowner, so I figured I was in the clear. Well, back in November or so, I noticed orange paint dots had popped up on most of the trees in our stand- dangit.

They've started cutting, and what I want to know is- will the logger collect all of the wood I've cut into rounds? I know they'll leave behind the tops of the trees which will probably yield a fair amount for me to pick from when they're done, but will the rounds be any good to them, or will they (hopefully) leave them behind? They're 18" in length and ranging from a foot or two in diameter to approaching three feet.

Beemickdee, have you had your fun yet?  Or are you that arrogant that (if all this isn't a lie) you actually think you are still in the right?  I am a firm believer that the lack of integrity that people like you have will be the downfall of our society.

John

beemickdee

Farmer stopped by while spraying the fields and chatted with me while I was cutting wood the other day. Said he talked to the landowner to ask him if anything was going to change with the farmland i.e. a development going in, etc., he said no, he was just cashing in on the timber. Farmer asked landowner if they (logging co.) were going to clean up what was left behind or if they were just going to leave it there, he said, don't know, they were supposed to clean up (as I mentioned, they came in and cleaned up around the landing). Take that for what it's worth.

I'm truly sorry to have upset some of you, in particular the moderator and others who are threatening to come across state lines and tell on me. I'll leave the comments on my character and the revealing of my possible addresses alone. FYI, if you're contacting the authorities, you'll want to know about the purple pickup truck that was in the field today gathering small stuff, and the farmer's neighbor with the beat up gray 80s Chevy who's been taking a load every couple of days too, who was out there this evening as well.

Kemper, thanks for being a voice of reason in all of this. I certainly won't be posting in this thread anymore, that's for sure.

Take care.
Echo CS-400
Stihl Wood Boss (currently busted)
92 Chevy 1500
Pioneer OWB

SwampDonkey

You are just exactly like a bunch everyone has identified  in these parts who think other's property is their scrounging grounds for wood, scrap metal, roofing off a barn, copper wiring out of an old homestead building  or what ever they can get their hands on. In short thieves. It just takes one of ya to make the first inroads so the rest get their bravado level up and help themselves to. Your attitude is that you could care less what goes on as long as you get your free firewood and you'll do nothing that could jeopardize your habit. Some of us was raised much different and were taught to look but don't touch, instead of look and take what isn't guarded.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

timberlinetree

I drove by a lot that had some pussy willows on it and Marcia and a bunch of other old lady's I know love them. The owner is a multi millionaire that has vacation homes all over the place (so he probably on vacation)and would have never know or cared if I picked some. I thought about this thread  and kept driving. Thanks ff!

Ps my adopted dad has some on his property (long walk) so ladies will be happy ;)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

SwampDonkey

Believe it or not, I don't take plants off private property neither. There are lady slippers across the road under a butternut tree and they stay right there. I have my own on my own ground. On the old farm dad sold we had wild maiden hair ferns that seems to be a novelty in some folks flower gardens. You see them in catalogs for sale. The fern is not common here. They stay right there to.  :)

Southside

Swamp Donkey,  I believe you, last year a neighbor who owns over 600 AC had a big area cut off by a commercial crew.  After they left my wife could see a Yucca growing right by where the landing had been as it was a very old house lot apparently, she wanted me to go and dig it up, nobody had seen it for probably 30 years, so I called the owner and asked him if I could dig it up, his answer - "my wife probably wants it", so I let it go, the thing is still there - and it belongs to him plain and simple.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!