iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any lumberjack athletes here?

Started by LT40HDD51, February 26, 2007, 10:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT40HDD51

Just got the axes out on the weekend and was wondering if anyone out there in forumland has done any jumberjack sports ???. I've done quite a bit of swede and crosscut sawing, axe throwing, kettle boiling, and am getting into the single buck saw and the standing block and underhand chopping.

I've got a couple great guys to practice with and we plan on hitting a few competitions on the East Coast this summer. There is a Stihl sponsored pro event in Liverpool, Nova Scotia in September. There is also a Nova Scotia Guides Association meet on Labor Day weekend, complete with shooting events, lumberjack sports and canoe racing.

I got a nice digital video camera for Christmas, so its great for taping the sawing and chopping to watch and improve your form. I happen to have a few old blocks kickin around here to chop...  ;D Got a nice place in the barn to train, nice and warm and dry  :).
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Captain

Always a spectator, never a participant.  I could certainly get into it, however.  Taking any trainees??  ;D

Captain

Ron Wenrich

I did that back in my college days.  I was part of the woodsman's team and we always had a Tri-state meet - Penn State, Syracuse and West Virginia.  We also went to competition at McGill Universitie and the U of Maine.  We also had some events during the spring at Mont Alto (forestry campus).

I was a participant, just not very good.   :D   I did the best in chain throw - where you unwind a steel tape and wind it back up.  I also participated in the log chop and burling.  Lots of fun.

Northeastern Loggers Assn. usually has a list of competitions in the East. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

Like Ron, back in College days. Called a "conclave" between Purdue, ISU (Iowa State), others ??, and held the year I went at MSU around E Lansing, MI (almost can remember the name of this forestry center). The one that sticks in my mind is the Tobacco Spit - bad memories. But the games included traversing (through or around a swamp), 8' pulp-wood toss, bucking/chopping/felling, axe throw, match splitting, log rolling (cant hooks/peavy's), etc.  Lots of fun, but not supported by ISU professors (go on your own). I got wet from the swamp (should have offset  ::) ), and sick from the tobacco (new to me)  ::) ::) ::), and the beverages didn't help at all.   :)  I lit the match in the stump with the axe, so thought I would win. Ha....the next guy split the match and both halves burned.  Seemed to go like that all day.
But for the tobacco, good memories.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wudman

Ditto on the college days.....Forestry Club at VA Tech......Men's crosscut, Jack and Jill crosscut, pole fell, axe throw, and 1 competition attempt at standing block chop when our regular chopper was injured. 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

a old timberjack

yeh, i am into it. i coach a high school ffa team, my  " wife to be " is on a jack and jill crosscut team with one of my students. i myself do the axe throw, and the stock saw i am looking to buy a mercier saw but it is a 2  +year waiting list  and i dont feel like waiting. i just mite buy a 2nd hand one.
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

LT40HDD51

IMHO, Donald Lambert makes the best saws around. Easier to deal with him too...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

a old timberjack

never herd of him ( donald lambert?? how can i see some of his work and how is his pricing, wait time etc, etc,  i would like to get one a wisker under 6 feet. does he have a web site???
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

snowman

All real "lumberjacks" are athletes. ;D

LT40HDD51

Quote from: a old timberjack on March 01, 2007, 08:04:47 PM
never herd of him ( donald lambert?? how can i see some of his work and how is his pricing, wait time etc, etc, i would like to get one a wisker under 6 feet. does he have a web site???

Im not sure right off the bat on any of those... If youve ever read up on world record swede sawing, you have read his name several times  ;). He makes single and double buck saws too, as well as tree topping saws. Hes from Quebec, where the best sawmakers seem to come from ;D. Competes with Gaston Duperee (pronounced dew-pear-ray) if youve ever seen them on ESPN or Outdoor Life Net. Theyre the ones with the funny french accents and holding a few double buck records, too ;D. Best I can do is look for an e-mail address and see what I can find out. No website that I could find. Hard to say on wait times, hes busier in the summer. I know hes usually better than some guys out there...

Quote from: snowman on March 01, 2007, 11:42:05 PM
All real "lumberjacks" are athletes. ;D

Youre right  ;D. I spent the last 4 days cutting big spruce and pine in the snow and I'm ready to go to bed early tonight too  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!