Started by james, August 15, 2004, 08:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

Any body familiar with the ripsaw portable bandmill
//      thanx  ??? ??? :-/

james

oops still new to this tried to put in a link to http://www.ripsaw.com/ :-[

Fla._Deadheader

If yer talkin about the small model, I had some Pine sawed with one. The guy made great wedges. You nail spikes in the end of the log, and the very first cut he made, I motioned to him about the spike. He waved me off and proceeded to cut right into it.  :o ::) ;D :D :D :D

It put me off something like that. There are mills like the Norwood, that cost $3500.00 or so. You might want to look around a little more. That little thing was Waaaaaayyy too labor intensive for me to consider. :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

james

Iv basicly got two types of cutting to do one is logs 12-14 foot for lumber beams etc... the other is to square off 3 sides of a bunch of 9"dia 40 ft long logs for the walls in a log cabin i am building i dont want to have to build a bed for a 40 ft log when i will only have to cut about 15 of them :-/ :-/

Fla._Deadheader

I see yer point. They WILL cut. Ya gotta bend over and push. My belly couldn't take all that abuse.  ::) ;D ;D

The one that was here, had an opening of 14" I believe. The 066 Stihl would scream right in yer face and the exhaust fumes and heat were stifling.

I DID cut 4---24 foot long 6 X 8's for our logging boat with a homemade bracket for my 041 Stihl and a couple of straight 2 X 4's for a guide rail. Wasn't REAL pretty, and I knew nothing about sharpening a chain to rip with.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

scottr

James , I bought my Ripsaw in 1996 and I like it . It is not a production mill . Check your instant mesages . Scott

james

thanx for the input guys decisions decisions ::) ::)
trying to decide if it would be worthwhile making extentsions for a40 foot log for a good mill or go with something lite for just the few cuts i'll need :-/ :-/

ADfields

I would say get an alaskan mill and some ripping chain for your needs and save a couple thousand. ;)
Andy

Thank You Sponsors!