iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cruising

Started by Texas Ranger, July 10, 2007, 09:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Cruised some timber for an oil exploration company, land owner was, and may still, holding them up on value of the timber.  Here is a shot to make those Georgia foresters know what real timber looks like. ::)

My Technician beside one of some 75 of the same.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dodgy Loner

Nice tree, TR, but that was a low blow ::).  UGA has some land in central GA with some loblollies that would make a logger from the Pacific Northwest drool.  The tallest tree I measured there was about 145', but the average was a mere 130'.  Diameters ranged from 18-48".  Oh, and did I mention that the trees are only 80 years old? ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

It looks a bit like the loblollys in my N. Florida swamp.

Riles

And the Louisiana piney woods.

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Texas Ranger

That was only a 38 inch, have a cookie at my office from a 42 that was 80.

Tom, your tree is hard to tell anything about, ya got bigger wide bodies around it. 8)

Dodgy Loner, that was a shot at Dannie, I know the stuff he has been looking at.  Not a state champ, but one in several hundred acres of the same.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Texas Ranger on July 10, 2007, 10:36:26 PM
Dodgy Loner, that was a shot at Dannie, I know the stuff he has been looking at. Not a state champ, but one in several hundred acres of the same.

Yeah, that's what I figured.  He told me about meeting you, but you know we Georgia foresters have to stick up for each other ;).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

WDH

I am still learning the vagaries of East Texas :).  I will have to say that there are some big loblolly pines in that country.  That is a very nice one.  They must figure that before the pine belt runs out just to the west, they had better grow big ;D.  There is a tract on our property there in Polk County that has a some big ones like that.  I will have to take you over there sometime, TR.  However, the reason they are there is that it is not logging-friendly ground......

I am planning to raft in next week, maybe have breakfast with you Thursday morning ???.  I am trying to sell some timber too :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

When I leased my land for drilling, I put in a clause that they had to pay fair market value for the timber.  But I got to cut the timber and keep it to do as I wished.  I wanted it to be expensive for them to go through my good woods when they could avoid most of it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Texas Ranger

WDH, yeah, I am familiar with that logger unfriendly dirt we got around here,  this is from some flat land stuff east of me.  It does show the potential, on some sites, and this one is one of the best in the area.

Phorester

Cruising? 

I thought I was gonna see a picture of a '57 "Shivvy" convertible in front of a Tastee Freeze.

WDH

Quote from: Phorester on July 11, 2007, 01:19:07 PM

Cruising? 

I thought I was gonna see a picture of a '57 "Shivvy" convertible in front of a Tastee Freeze.

That is not how they cruise in Texas ??? ???  smiley_huh2 smiley_huh2 smiley_huh2 smiley_lips smiley_love cone_1 pepsi_smiley
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

I think when it comes to loblolly pines (or for any southern yellow pines) we all have to bow to those in Congaree Swamp, SC.  They have a virgin forest with many, many loblollies 4-5 feet in diameter and 160 to 170 feet tall.  This is the national champion, ie the largest loblolly pine known to exist in the United States.  It's 56 inches in diameter and 167 feet tall.  There are some that are fatter, and some that are taller, but none that are bigger!

Furby

Been there and they are BIG!

Tom

WDH

Tom, what a great way to give the old champion another useful life.  Thanks for sharing.

Dodgy Loner

Neat place, Tom, but where's the picture of the tree ???  Inquiring minds want to see ;)

Tom

I saw the tree before it got sick.  Mr. Raulerson had a sign on it telling folks to care for it.   To my knowledge there was never a picture taken of it.

I think I might have some pictures of the logs.  I do have some pictures of the boards. The light was wrong and I didn't get any good ones.   Lordy!  That was a long time ago. :D

Dodgy Loner

I looked through all 400-some pictures in your gallery, but saw neither hide nor hair of the big tree.  Maybe I overlooked some pictures of the boards, though ???

Tom

The Picture is probably in an Archive.   I did find one on my website under Tom's Customers on page 24.  I'm amazed that it is as good as it is.  I don't know if the logs on the ramp were the largest butt cuts or if the big ones were on the ground to the right where the tractor left the trailer.   I just remember there being a lot of wood. 

WDH

That sure is a big log on the ground in the background.  Looks like that Baker did the job ;D.

Tom

The Baker isn't much afraid of big logs.  That's the beauty of having the main engine driving the hydraulics that do the log handling. I'll have to admit that sometimes a little help is needed with a canthook, but those 38 horses driving the hydraulic pump take a lot of the strain out of the job.

I favor smaller logs, but have to cut these big ones regularly.  It has always seemed that the customers think that the bigger the log, the better the lumber.   Baker has put a wide throat on the mill and allows for trimming a log down to size with minimal chainsaw work.

As a matter of fact, the new mill has a added height in the throat which will make the job even easier.

SwampDonkey

That sure is big wood for 80 years.  ;D

I had an 18" fir blow over this fall that was 45 years on the stump and chalk white. If balsam was a long lived tree, couldn't imagine how big they'd get around here.  ;D

I think the record is 26" and 116'. Seen quite a few 18-22" and close to 80' in the natural forest on the best sites. Also on some sites the diameter is there, but they are only around 65 feet. I think they are younger trees. Pretty sure it isn't site in the instance I'm thinking of because it was logged off  25 years ago and likely 20 year old saplings were left standing. It's a really good site as well. Seems the last few years of their life is spent in height growth with very narrow diameter growth.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I wonder if Dodgy has cruised in a stand of Sitka spruce. 230-250 footers, 7'-9' DBH and 450-500 cords/acre?  ;D 8)

Properties of Sitka Spruce
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I gawked at some like that in the Queets River Valley on the Olympic Peninsula. 

Thank You Sponsors!