iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sliver Removal

Started by Left Coast Chris, March 13, 2012, 01:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Ran a sliver of douglas fir through my glove and into my thumb over the weekend.  Did some resawing of warped beams for Maylynn's horse coral.   It was sticking out of the glove so she tried to pull it out with the glove still on.  Why is it they ALWAYS break off at the surface of the skin? >:( ::)

I always try to dig them out the first day which usually makes them worst.  By the second day they usually fester up and most of the time pop out with a squeze  :)

Back in the day my dad used black salve.  Not sure what it was.   I tried hydrogen peroxide this last time and it did not fester up enough to draw it out.  It acts like it wants to stay in now.  Not looking forward to trying to cut it out now.

Any old time remedys for sliver removal?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

clif

I have some Drawing Salve  from PayLess which is black goo (looks and smells like the stuff mom use to use on us ).  I also have some all natural drawing save called     Smile's PRID  Homeopathic salve.  Not sure where I got it probably at the local feed store where they have natural remedies,etc.
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

bandmiller2

Chris,get an exacto knife with the sharp pointed blade alcohol everything and run the tip in the same way as the splinter went in then lift to open the skin and dig out that blighter.It will heal better opened up,Neosporin and bandaid. Frank C. MD [sure]
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ask DOCTORB. If he's on call today.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

doctorb may not be in an axeing mood today.   splitwood_smiley whiteflag_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I drove a splinter through my finger once. Did not come out the other side,but almost did.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Soak it in water and epsom salts. Just had one in the bottom of my foot thru a callous. Took soaking it once/twice a day for 3 days. Stab from side with pin and pry out  :o
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Raider Bill

Paging Doctor B Paging Doctor B call the FF ER
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Left Coast Chris

I usually dig with a pin but the exacto knife sounds good.  The one challenge is the fingers often have alot of nerves.  The one I have now is deep and when trying to dig it out or free it up I hit a nerve and thats it.  No way to cut or dig further on a small scale.   May need a couple of budwisers to go deeper.   If Im patient it should pop out.   

Didnt know the salve was still out there.  Im going to get some.

Just realized, the one thing we are missing here for the bad ones is going to the doctor and get him to cut on it....
pretty obvious but thats part of having a bad sliver.... it makes you think you can pull it out.  There you have it..they are evil!!    :o :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

submarinesailor

Had a fairly bad one back a few years ago.  As I was climbing up onto a rail, I caught a big one right into the back of my right thigh.  I got about 2" out, but just knew that there was a lot more in there.  Make it worst, it was PT lumber.  Anyways, the doctors at DeWitt Army Hospital had to split my thigh open for about 2', maybe 3" to get the last of it.  And you know something.....Here it is about 15 years later and I still hear about it for my wife just about every time I try to climb up on something....... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Bruce

bugdust

Once had a bad splinter from rough hemlock barn siding. Old doctor layed on the Black Salve and next morning there she was.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

CHARLIE

Here's what my grandparents used to do for Tom and I when we had splinters.

Before going to bed, put a piece of raw bacon fat over the splinter and hold it in place with a bandaid.  The splinter will travel the way of least resistance, so it will move into the bacon fat.  Sometimes one treatment is all that is needed and sometimes it takes a couple.

Another trick I've used to remove small splinters that you can feel but can't grab with a pair of tweezers. Coat the skin over the splinter with some Elmer's Glue All (the white stuff).  When it dries good, peel it off your skin and it should pull the splinter out as you peel.

Most of the  time I dig my splinters out with my pocket knife.  I spit on the knife first so it'll be clean.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

customsawyer

I don't know if I can get a pic of one but there is a product out there call splinter out (I think this is the name of it) any way they work better than any needle or knife. They are surgically designed and work great. I carry them in the truck every where I go.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

The stuff that you find out about here on the Forestry Forum.   Splinter Out   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I walked by a stack of pallets at work and got a splinter in the arm,about an inch long. Could not see the end of it,but could feel both ends of it. I went to the hospital for it. I'm not the toughest person when it comes to pain.I had one of the higher up try to give me a hard time about going to the hospital to have it taken out. I told her I'll drive a piece of wood in your arm, broke it off and I'll dig it out for you.  ::) Some types of wood you can get an infection from too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

Sorry I am late to the party.  No, I was not playing golf (I don't play!)

Nope.  No pearls of wisdom about sliver removal and salves or letting it get infected.
My advice is to WEAR GLOVES!!!

That'll be $97.00, after discount.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Not only do I always wear gloves, I buy them by the 12 pack and give them to the customer and off loaders.  No, they are not my employees, but it is amazing how many folks will show up for work without gloves.  It helps them to work faster, and that helps me.   :)

doctorb

Magic-

I was able to obtain some used pallets from my local hardware store for free last weekend.  First thing I did was go back inside and buy a pair of gloves to load them in my truck.  The price is real cheap compared to what those things can do to your hands.....which I kinda need!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Sprucegum

And be careful with those new gloves! Last month our machinist shoved his hand in a new glove and came out with a sewing needle stuck in his finger.

bugdust

Hey Doc, didn't know we got a discount, well by the way I got me a pain right back here between my giggama hickey. What do you think? Reason I ask, $97 seems like a good deal.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

customsawyer

This is the little package they come in.

This is what they look like. They work great.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Holmes

Bugdust.  Doctorb does not give a discount. That is the first time he has charged someone on the Ff for advice.  I think he REALLY wants that AXE. ;D ;D
Think like a farmer.

CHARLIE

doctorb, the checks in the mail!  ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

LAZERDAN

LCC  I did not know black salve make it all the way to california.  my grandpa's father was the last on we know of that made black salve. It has a very distinct smell and works unbelievable. we only have a small can left  and no recipes left by the family anyway .  just waned to say ya brought back alot of memories.  Now i just cut slivers out exacto knife and I understand not everybody has the same tollerance for pain thats why they havesalve I guess            Lazerdan

JRHill

Saw an add in the paper for some hemlock - free. I know it is a dense wood and thought to get it to experiment with on the mill. Turned out to be cut into 16-24" lengths tapering quickly from an irregular stump. Oh well. I can do something with it....

But unloading the pickup I must've gotten a sliver, a really small one. It took two days but Holy $h1t, my pinky is really inflating. I think I got it out this morning - my personal tool of choice is a replaceable scalpel blade cause they cut deeper and with less pain than a hatchet or something about as sharp.

So now I think I know what to do with the wood. I believe it has some BTUs in it.

BTW, gloves: as an old machinist/tool maker working with small, fine stuff, I despise hand gloves. Sense of touch is second nature to everything I do, even when doing stuff that I know I need gloves to do. Like concrete. Like replacing the Woodmizer blade. Like, now, hemlock. Nasty, nasty stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!