iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I started the original Whatcha Sawin' ?? topic with this picture back in 2014.  Wow, how many of our logs have become lumber and sawdust in the past 6 years??

For my sawing, this next year is starting off with 19 sawing jobs on the list.  Some of these customers really wanted it done this year but I decided to "schedule some vacation" and take a few weeks off.

So the question is:  Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

2020 was shaky over the spring and summer, but picked up dramatically in September, so now I ended up almost exactly same revenue as 2019. 

For 2021,  I have 3 jobs scheduled and two who waiting for me to give them dates.

Then a dozen or so where we are going back and forth asking for information.  
3/4 of those are probably still learning that logs are heavy, lumber is heavy, and wood has to be dried.   :) :)

So things just keep rolling forward pretty much as usual.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

After 2 week of equipment troubles and a bad snow storm.
I'm finally back milling.
2020 was the most lumber i have ever sawn.
I hope to better that in 2021.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

firefighter ontheside

In 2021 I plan to promote my sawmill business more.  This year I did not create a single ad to promote people bringing me their logs to saw.  I just didn't want a lot of strangers coming to my place, especially early in the pandemic.  I did have a few repeat customers and word of mouth folks bring their logs, but I didn't let them stay to help.  If my production rate goes up like I hope it does, I will raise my hourly rate.
Aside from that, I want to get a lot of already cut lumber into the kiln and sold.  I've got a lot of logs that need to be made into lumber before they become bug food.  I think my next major goal would be figuring out some way to store dried lumber.  Perhaps along the lines of Doc's container.  I expect 2021 will be a safer time to have customers coming to my place.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SawyerTed

2020 had a split personality for me. Sometimes I had plenty of jobs and logs to saw.  Sometimes things were very quiet.  I sawed more lumber this year as well.  The last few months since I adjusted my business plan have been more profitable.  

For 2021 I have seven portable jobs scheduled already.  I have a handful of standing orders with purchase orders in hand for first quarter 2021.  There's a market I've got my foot into the door, I hope will expand. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

longtime lurker

2020 was a mixed bag. Told my largest customer to stick it where the sun dont shine early in the year, then COVID had me second guessing that before it turned into a year of high retail demand, then picked up the nightmare dream job at the finish.

2021 starts with my own spec work backlogged, my regular guys all ticking away steadily, 1 contract sawing job in hand but I'm 45 days behind schedule on it, and another thats almost surely going to go. I have no idea how I'm going to do this... I dont have the equipment I need, I dont have the necessary skilled manpower for the equipment, I'm cash poor because I've been getting hammered with breakdowns, I don't trust any of these guys beyond the letter of the contracts. And I kinda need all three - 2 big multi year contract cutting orders plus my established business - to balance it all out so any one leg can fall and I'll make out. But I guess if it was easy anyone could do it.

It's January 01 here so I want to wish each and every one of you a fantastic 2021, and thank you for all the insights you've shared through 2020.
John
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Stephen1

2020 was a great year for me, I have 3 custom saw jobs sitting in the yard for next year, the 3 drying sheds are full of customers wood waiting for the kiln, I have 2 bundles of my own sawn,  walnut, spalted maple waiting to go in the kiln. I am keeping things running just like that, just enough for me. I am probably in a position to purchse another kiln, but I would need to hire someone and then I would have an extra head ache I don't really want at my age. I am also not a believer tht this economy  will keep on rolling. There is a lot of Government money rolling around, driving up prices and supplies. It has to end and the person with the cash wins.  
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

TimW

I'm gonna saw stuff.  Just a little more than I did in 2020.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Looking at my sawing job list, it appears that I just might start off with a bang.  First up will be a 70 mile road trip ~200 SYP & Oak log job that I will start Monday.  This is a repeat customer.

There are 5 other quite large jobs that are 90-150 miles away and two of them are repeat customers.  That leaves 13 more small 1-2 day jobs.

I have 25 new blades, ~15-20 resharps, and 10 at ReSharp  so I should be ahead of the curve on the ReSharp backlog.  I received two 1½ X 7/39 (Turbos) to try but there will not be an opportunity to experiment any time soon.  Just sawing um and leaving um.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I'm almost embarrassed to post when I look at the kind of number the MM posted for last year but, in spite of all the setbacks, I sawed a little more in 2020 than my previous best year but well over double the last 2 years. 

This time of year is always slow because of the cold and mud from rain and melting snow so I scheduled cataract surgery 11 January and I am sure I will be limited in what I can do for a few weeks. 

I have a couple of mobile jobs in the works where I did a site visit and am just waiting on the customer to get his trees cut down and logs assembled on site. Some of those will pan out, some will not if history repeats itself. 

I have plans to build another bay on to my last storage shed I built for an additional 10X12 covered storage area which is always in short supply. No other real big plans for expansion at this time.

Happy New Year to all and stay safe out there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on January 01, 2021, 08:38:32 AM
Looking at my sawing job list, it appears that I just might start off with a bang.  First up will be a 70 mile road trip ~200 SYP & Oak log job that I will start Monday.  This is a repeat customer.

There are 5 other quite large jobs that are 90-150 miles away and two of them are repeat customers.  That leaves 13 more small 1-2 day jobs.

I have 25 new blades, ~15-20 resharps, and 10 at ReSharp  so I should be ahead of the curve on the ReSharp backlog.  I received two 1½ X 7/39 (Turbos) to try but there will not be an opportunity to experiment any time soon.  Just sawing um and leaving um.  ;D
Lynn,
     Let us know how the blades do, please.  Happy New Year.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

123maxbars

This was actually my last logs of 2020 and I finished them up today, a small rainbow poplar and a good size cherry,

This Log Will Blow You Away, Massive Cherry On The Wood-Mizer - YouTube
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Magicman

I will Brandi but for now I will be using my old standby 1¼" X T7°'s.

I have been idling for a few weeks so this morning I was surprised at how much "getting ready" I had to do.  Fill the Diesel cans, mix chainsaw gas and fill my traveling gas cans, fill my chainsaw bar oil can, fold blades and fill my "magic blade can" & backseat box with blades, replenish the wire brush box, fill my blade lube jugs with antifreeze mix, and fill my ATF jugs.  Guess that I had better get my lunch box out too.  ::)

I was running and gunning in November and the first of December so tomorrow morning I will change the sawmill engine oil and replace the oil and fuel filters.  I normally do oil changes, etc. at 250 hours, but this time it has been 300.  Not a problem but it will be done before I saw again.  Scheduled ~200 log 70 mile road trip starting Monday.

richhiway

Quote from: Magicman on December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

I started the original Whatcha Sawin' ?? topic with this picture back in 2014.  Wow, how many of our logs have become lumber and sawdust in the past 6 years??

For my sawing, this next year is starting off with 19 sawing jobs on the list.  Some of these customers really wanted it done this year but I decided to "schedule some vacation" and take a few weeks off.

I
You are the busiest sawyer I know and a inspiration to an old (60) guy like me. Enjoy a Happy Healthy New Year.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Quote from: 123maxbars on January 01, 2021, 03:25:58 PM
This was actually my last logs of 2020 and I finished them up today, a small rainbow poplar and a good size cherry,

This Log Will Blow You Away, Massive Cherry On The Wood-Mizer - YouTube
Happy and Healthy New Year to you, your wife, Bruno and the cats and Dogs.
Rich
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 01, 2021, 09:02:33 AM
  I'm almost embarrassed to post when I look at the kind of number the MM posted for last year but, in spite of all the setbacks, I sawed a little more in 2020 than my previous best year but well over double the last 2 years.

This time of year is always slow because of the cold and mud from rain and melting snow so I scheduled cataract surgery 11 January and I am sure I will be limited in what I can do for a few weeks.

I have a couple of mobile jobs in the works where I did a site visit and am just waiting on the customer to get his trees cut down and logs assembled on site. Some of those will pan out, some will not if history repeats itself.

I have plans to build another bay on to my last storage shed I built for an additional 10X12 covered storage area which is always in short supply. No other real big plans for expansion at this time.

Happy New Year to all and stay safe out there.
Happy Healthy New Year, Howard. Good luck with the eye surgery.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

I plan on making some Lap siding in 2021 for a 10X12 shed that I am going to use for a planer and a cut to length station. I was going to buy a new one but got lucky and this one was on a post on the Wood-Mizer F.B. page yesterday. I drove a 120 miles to Illion, N.Y. to pick it up this morning. Met another nice guy with a sawmill. Happy New Year to all of you.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Another F.B. Marketplace find. No more lifting heavy slabs. A 80 mile road trip to P.A. Put a few miles on the Cummins this week...
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Quote from: richhiway on January 01, 2021, 04:07:22 PM
Quote from: Magicman on December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

I
You are the busiest sawyer I know and a inspiration to an old (60) guy like me. Enjoy a Happy Healthy New Year.
Yes indeed. Your a Stud in my book Magicman. Thanks for all your input and wisdom 👍

KenMac

I haven't started my sawmill in 2021 yet, but I did set and sharpen enough blades to do me for a while when I get back to sawing next week. 8)
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

DPatton

2020 was a good growing year for D&S Sawmill Services and I'm proud of my accomplishments this year. What I do is small potatoes to what so many of you guys do but that's ok with me. I still work a full time job as a construction superintendent for one of the larger building contractors in Nebraska, so my sawing business is part time mainly just weekends for now. I completed 26 custom sawing jobs durning the 2020 season and increased the companies gross sales 2 1/2 times over my first official year in business (2019). I've begun to acquire some satisfied repeat clients, and met some great people with at least one similar interest along the way. I can honestly say that I sincerely enjoy my days that are spent traveling to new locations and custom sawing. I'm looking forward to 2021 and am currently spending a little time here in January sawing some materials for future sales. 2021 has also brought with it a rate increase because simply put, I've been told I'm not charging enough for the yield I regularly produce. 2021 is also the year I'm going to make it a priority to get my first solar kiln built and into production. This could be a game changer in my material sales market but will also require more time on my part to keep it operating. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

caveman

John and I brought home a large butt log form a lightning killed, laurel oak that I dropped earlier in the week for an 82 year old neighbor.  We also brought a few pecan logs home from my uncle's place today.  We sawed one and went through three blades in attempts to get it to cut flat.  We determined that one of us needs to be spraying diesel on the bottom of the blade or configure a blade lube system that cleans both sides of the blade.  Sawing with a south wind like we had today is dang near torture.

One of the pecan slabs with included bark. 

laurel oak.  We may saw  the pecan butt log tomorrow.
Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Yes, sir, but sometimes the potential reward is worth the trouble and aggravation.  We may try to saw the butt log today.  We cut the slabs yesterday at 2 1/2" thick (@WDH) in order to hopefully have enough to work with to flatten them after drying.  We were about maxed out on width while using the backstops- does sawing at this thickness seem like a sound plan? 

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!