iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Redwood?

Started by Bosco, January 09, 2021, 07:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosco

What trees are used to make "Red Wood"? Surely all redwood doesnt come from the Redwood Forest!?

firefighter ontheside

All redwood lumber comes from redwood trees.  I believe redwood trees grow thru california, oregon and washington.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Well since we are on the subject - What the heck is "white wood" that Lowes and Home Depot sell?  Went there last night to pick up a door for the never ending series of additions onto the mill shed and noticed the signs saying that.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

I imagine it can be any number of pines, spruces and firs, but not douglas fir or yellow pines.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom the Sawyer

Around here, "whitewood" boards are usually stamped SPF (spruce, pine, or fir).
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Ianab

Quote from: Southside on January 09, 2021, 11:40:06 PMWhat the heck is "white wood" that Lowes and Home Depot sell?

I believe there are 2 criteria for the "White wood" grade. 

It has to be wood, and it has to be sorta white. Other that that it's whatever random species they can source the cheapest (in that area). I think it simplifies their stock control, rather than having 10 different possible types of wood, they just have "white wood", and sell it to people that "just want a piece of wood". 

SPF group woods fits the criteria in most areas, but they could stock birch / poplar / soft maple etc if they got a truck load of it cheap. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on January 09, 2021, 11:36:26 PM
All redwood lumber comes from redwood trees.  I believe redwood trees grow thru california, oregon and washington.
That's their native area, and they are a pretty fast growing species. Most of the really big ones are either gone or protected, but lots of 2nd (3rd?) growth trees that can be harvested. 
They do grow here in NZ, but are a little fussy about the micro-climate they flourish in. So they haven't been planted on a large commercial scale, but odd trees get cut down and milled. A 100 year old Redwood can be 5ft+ dbh on the right site, so a redwood forest can sustain a commercial harvest on that sort of rotation. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GAB

Earth to Marcel, Earth to Marcel, Come in;
Marcel please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the french term for basswood is bois blanc which in english is white wood.
Question: were they selling wood for carvers?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

Another point is there are other woods which are red in color but not redwood as we know it. Wild black cherry (Prunus serotina) and Red Oak (Quecus rubra, Quercus falcata, et al.) and many exotic woods often have a very red color but they are hardwoods with much denser grain and heavier in weight than redwood.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

The "White Wood" was 1x and 2x
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Resonator

From what I've read "white wood" is a generic term for utility grade wood used in cabinet making. This could be toe kick framing, cleats, bracing, etc., and could be Poplar, or Spruce, Pine, Fir, that isn't grade stamped for framing lumber.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

High_Water

From what I understand only a small percentage of the old growth redwoods are actually protected (the famously huge ones like General Sherman), which leave the majority as fair game for harvest. I believe though that for the most part everything today is second growth or plantation, much younger trees but also lower quality than the 2000 year old monsters as would be expected. I imagine its also possible that something labeled "red wood" could refer to the color and actually be a different species, but the pacific coast redwoods are indeed harvested.

moodnacreek

In my area , if an oldtimer said whitewood that would be tulip or aspen [or cottonwood] never a conifer .

Clark

Quote from: High_Water on January 11, 2021, 02:28:07 PM
From what I understand only a small percentage of the old growth redwoods are actually protected (the famously huge ones like General Sherman), which leave the majority as fair game for harvest.
General Sherman is a sequoia which grow in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Different species than the redwood of the coast. Although, the names are sometimes mixed up.

Redwood does grow into southwestern Oregon but just barely. It's basically a tree of California.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

tule peak timber

Redwood arriving at my mill.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Brad_bb

Tule, so that was a harvested "green" redwood?  As opposed to a tree that had been cut long long ago laying the on the forest floor, a salvage?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

tule peak timber

Brad, The log in the above picture was harvested crap from a canyon,,, a salvage exactly. I only deal in fire kill, beetle kill, mitigation timber, and a little urban tree trimming crap.I do buy old orchards, old building material and other junk/crap from power poles to other peoples garbage. I do homes from the owners own forest woods but not to just mill and sell the woods.
  The redwood log in the pic ended up as bartops in some brewery in the Midwest.
  I'm just starting some giant redwood gates and have a few other redwood projects on the books for this year.I know where to get plenty of it if you are interested. WOC
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

moodnacreek

Here in N.Y.S. my red wood is dawn red wood, hard to get.

Erik A

Ljohnsaw

The sequoia and the coastal redwood battle it out as the largest trees.  The Sequoia has the largest volume but the Coastal Redwood is the tallest.  A few years back we went to Sequoia National Park and viewed quite a few of them.  You take a walk down hill on an interpretative trail.  It points out various facts and you can view the General at various levels as you descend.  When we got to the base, it was truly awe-inspiring!  There is a trail around the base (far enough not to pack the soil over the roots) and there is a "branch" that broke off some 75 to 100' up.  The branch was 6' in diameter.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

This is the main redwood forest in NZ. Trees are ~118 years old. We've been there, it's free to enter and walk through the park, but you pay for the special stuff like the aerial walk, the swing bridges 60ft up in the trees etc. 

Gallery | Redwoods Treewalk®

At ~100 years these things are just babies, only about 230 feet tall.  

We have a handful growing here in Stratford, but unless they are in a large grove or plantation they don't grow as tall. Friends just up the street have a couple in their back yard, maybe 3 or 4 ft DBH, but only ~100ft tall. it seems like if they get up much above the surrounding canopy they kinda stall and bush out. 

Ianab

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 11, 2021, 11:29:34 PM
Tule, so that was a harvested "green" redwood?  As opposed to a tree that had been cut long long ago laying the on the forest floor, a salvage?
A log like that could come from a ~100 year old tree, at least in our climate. A 1,000 year old one isn't going to fit on that truck  ;)

This is a 104 year old Redwood (when this pic was taken in 2006) from an old post. 

David Yager

Hi guys. I'm the NEW KID here (age 73)  having joined up just today. And what do I find but a bunch of wood brethren discussing redwood, the beer that made Milwaukee famous! No, wait...it's what we raise on our Tree Farm in the N. Calif. near the town of Mendocino. The whole coastal area is prime redwood country with the fog and cooler climate, and our north slope property is excellent for timber. We've selectively logged dozens of times and the trees just keep popping off the stumps. It's very hard to kill 'em and you have to thin out the new shoots a couple of years after cutting. The virgin forests were cut in the mid 1800's so, doing the math we come up with SECOND GROWTH at 150 years old. Fairly respectable, and there's always residual stuff as standing snags, 10' high stumps and log chunks left in the woods. My current favorite is root material which is super hard and nicely figured. Any knife makers out there? That's what I'm doing in retirement. No more choker setting or tricky back-cuts but thanks for the add.

Thank You Sponsors!