iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

black walnut

Started by trapper, January 01, 2020, 10:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Problems direct seeding Squirrels may be the problem so am going to plant a couple black walnut seedlings.  Ash is dieing so would like to add to the mix in my woods (10) acres.  Hickory oak elm willow and basswood.  How much sunlight do the black walnut seedlings need  to grow? planted 4 chinese chestnuts on the edge last spring and put chicken wire cages around them this fall to keep the rabbits off them 3 of 4 grew.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WDH

I believe that black walnut is shade intolerant so the seedlings need to get a good complement of sunlight.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

trapper

planted 10 black walnut seedlings (about 2 foot) this spring 8 growing.  Do I need to protect them from the deer and rabbits this winter?  They destroy white oak unless protected.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

lxskllr

Judging by my yard, a walnut will grow about anywhere, from full sun to full shade. No real deer problems, and not enough bunnies to worry about, but protection can't hurt. A wire cage is cheap insurance.

Thank You Sponsors!