iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

M-14 Belsaw

Started by first shirt, July 24, 2009, 08:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

first shirt

I have completed the construction of my M-14 Foley Belsaw, its is powered by a Massey Ferguson 135 tractor using the PTO system.  I am unable to keep the belt that moves the carriage forward on its pulley's.  Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions?  What are the correct belt sizes for this system?  Additonally, do you think the Massey Ferguson will provide adequate horsepower?  Thanks...

Army Don

apm

Hi Don,

The belt is a "B" size V belt. The one closest to the operator, when you're in the sawing position, is 66" on my M14. There is a bent metal guard that goes onto the feedworks with two threaded studs that's designed to keep the belt from running off when in neutral or reverse. If your belts running off while you're trying to feed forward, then I'd suspect an alignment problem within the feedworks. If otherwise, the little guard should keep it on there for you. If your guard is missing, it would be a real easy thing to make up. Looks like [  , just light metal, that goes above and below the belt to keep it from flopping off of the pulleys.

Greg

Timberking 1600 now

Ron R.

First shirt, Good to hear you have the mill up and running. I agree with apm that it's probably an alignment problem. Also, on horsepower it depends on the size blade you are running. What size and type logs,etc. I'm running my m-14 (40 inch inserted tooth blade) with a 70 horsepower tractor. I think the problem you may encounter is keeping your rpm's up in a large log. I've heard of these mills being run off of small tractors and doing fairly well. Depends I guess on how much you crowd it. There's lots of good info in the post on here so keep reading........Ron

apm

Ron's right on the power question. A 135 massey is going to be marginal in anything over about 12-14" diameter logs. I ran for several years with a John Deere 2010, slightly more powerful than the Massey and I struggled with hardwood over that size. But, it can be done. I was using a 48" saw, then. I use a 40" now with a little larger tractor, 52 pto hp, and it saws much better. Watch the speed of the saw and you'll do fine.
Good luck,

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

bandmiller2

FS,sounds to me like the idler pulley that tightens the feed belt is slightly twisted it will push the belt off the same side all the time bend the arm slightly untill it keeps the belt in its pulley.Keep your bits vicious sharp and your old MF will handle most stuff.Keep your eyes open for a bigger tractor with lousy rubber that can be a permanant mill tractor and not tie up your MF.  frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!