iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timber treatments

Started by JD_Kid, April 02, 2002, 06:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD_Kid

Hi ya
I hope this is in the right place ,does anyone treat there own timber for outside use?? one of the tree's i'm looking at milling is bad for rotting if out side ,like rails posts etc etc i know it can be pressure treated but is there anything paint/spray on or soak in a big bath kinda way of doing it .the timber will not be painted or used for looks so does not have to be clear ,
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Tom

Jd,  I don't know what the environmental impact rules are where you are but they tend to be fairly stiff here.  There was a time that folks painted or soaked fence boards in Diesel, automatic xmissin fluid, or burned motor oil. It worked after a fashion but is frowned on today.  Long ago pine was charred in a fire before being place in the ground to keep rot and insects away.  I don't know how good it worked but it may be worth a try.  

The general rule is that coatings don't do a lot to protect wood that is on or in the ground.

Frank_Pender

Build yourself a good bed of coals and roll the posts around on the coals to char the wood real well.   I am not saying to burn the wood, but simply char, well done.  ;) I would also encourage that the wood be heart and not sap wood.  I have Western White Oak posts planted in the ground and prepared as I suggested, that have been good and sturdy for at least forty years.   These posts were split by using a blasting wedge and powder.  ::)  Not a one was sawn.   :'(
Frank Pender

JD_Kid

Hi ya
charing then wirebrushed would look good on a wall useing something like orgren(?) fuel and oil i have done before used to paint the chook house at my grandmothers place like that .a lot of stuff these days is getting harder to use chems etc etc i have even heard CCA treating is on a short list , i think ya can still buy creosote but the smell may make it hard putting animals in the yards  :(,what does the charing do realy? harden the outer layers ? .i'll give ya the full names of the stuff i'll be milling it may help ya's with treatments cupressus macrocarpa (monterey cypress) and pinus radrata (monterey pine)
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Thank You Sponsors!