iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic fluid cooler

Started by Coltbodi, September 25, 2017, 05:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coltbodi

I have an issue with my travel after the machine has been running a while. I know it's because the hydraulic fluid has gotten hot and thinned. Have any of you tried a cooler on yalls machines?
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

ladylake

Never had that problem with my B20 or A TK2000 I run once in a while . There could be a restriction somewhere causing the oil to heat up too much.  How are you operating the feed control, you should hold the lever all the way ahead and turn the dial to control the speed.  If your controlling the feed speed with the lever with the dial turned way up that might heat up the oil.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Coltbodi

I hold the lever all the way and work it with the knob. As it cuts I am haveing to turn The knob more and more to keep it moving the hotter it gets.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

bandmiller2

If your quit sure their are no restrictions or plugged filters you could change the oil to synthetic hydraulic oil it doesn't thin as much when hot. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Another possibility is wear in the pump and hydraulic motor. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Check how hot the oil is getting, I think my brothers TK 2000 runs around 150 F after its warm.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ron Wenrich

We ran a lot of hydraulics with our bigger mills.  We also ran big fan coolers to get the temperature in a decent operating range.  You don't want your hydraulics to get over 150°.  That was our normal operating temp.  If you run consistently above that, you will wear out your oil.

We pulled our filters about once a month.  You may not need to do that as often, but there should be some form of maintenance on them.  We also had our hydraulic oil tested to see how good it was.  On one mill, we had more water than oil due to condensation. 

I don't know the size of your hydraulic system, but I wonder if changing the oil wouldn't help. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

charles mann

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on September 26, 2017, 05:56:25 AM
We ran a lot of hydraulics with our bigger mills.  We also ran big fan coolers to get the temperature in a decent operating range.  You don't want your hydraulics to get over 150°.  That was our normal operating temp.  If you run consistently above that, you will wear out your oil.

We pulled our filters about once a month.  You may not need to do that as often, but there should be some form of maintenance on them.  We also had our hydraulic oil tested to see how good it was.  On one mill, we had more water than oil due to condensation.  

I don't know the size of your hydraulic system, but I wonder if changing the oil wouldn't help.
bringing back a dead horse. what type of cooler/radiator did you use? manufacture name?
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Thank You Sponsors!