iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 Detroit oil recommend

Started by Timbercruiser, August 07, 2016, 10:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

In the past year that I've had a 3-53 I've used 30wt, 40wt, 10w30 and 15w40 all Rotella.  Doesn't make any difference.  It still uses oil  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

shawn55

I used delvac 1300 all winter long and never had any problems. I also pre heat with hot water hook up. Best way in my mind.

lshobie

15/40 in ours and starts way better.  Old timer down the road has used 0/40 in his since it came out.
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Wood butcher

The DD mechanic in the twin cities said straight 40 year round.
I use hot hoses, 300 watt magnetic heater on oil pan, & a frost plug heater.
Once your running it still wants straight 40.

larry1

We always use 15x40 in all of our diesels winter and summer . My buddy is using 0x50 synthetic in his 6cyl  perkins C5  and it seems to be fine so far .

Plankton

I run Rotella t straight 40w in the summer and 30w in the winter after my rebuild.

Before the old 353 blew up I was running delvac 15 40 and it leaked over a gallon a day but I think it was the motor not the oil choice. Decided to do it to spec and only run straight weight after I got her rebuilt. No leaks and it builds good pressure while cranking.

dgdrls

Quote from: Ox on January 07, 2017, 10:31:32 PM
I'd really love to know exactly why.  You know, the science behind it.  It's common knowledge that multi viscosity oils protect better than straight weight oils.  I want to know why this isn't so for Detroit 2 stroke diesels.

A great question Ox,  I think this is a big part of it

Ref: 7SE270 0510 Copyright © 2005 DETROIT DIESEL CORPORATION

LUBRICATING OIL SELECTION CRITERIA

Temperature Limits for Oil Viscosity Grades
3.2   HIGH TEMPERATURE/HIGH SHEAR VISCOSITY
High Temperature / High Shear (HT/HS) Viscosity is measured at 302° F (150° C) under shear
stress conditions similar to very thin
film lubrication areas such as those found at the piston
ring-to-cylinder wall interface. The value obtained from this test provides an indication of
temporary shear stability of the viscosity index improver used in multigrade oils. In 15W-40
grade oils, a HT/HS viscosity below 3.7 centipoise (cP) indicates that the oil will not perform as a
40 grade oil at engine operating conditions.

Seems if you can find multi weight with a 3.7 centipoise (cp) rate or better you would be set.

D

Ox

Thanks for finding that - it's very counter-intuitive to what I've read and been taught over the years.  Maybe it's time for me to rethink what I thought...  ???
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

dgdrls

"Seems if you can find multi weight with a 3.7 centipoise (cp) rate or better you would be set."

I'll condition that statement by adding you should meet or exceed the Sulphated Ash spec as well.

D

soperlogan

Rotella T6 synthetic. Lowest ash content of any oil on market including Delo straight weights.
It's all I use. You would never crank a Detroit up here in winter on 30w.

coxy

run what ever you think is best for you  :)

dgdrls

Rotella advertises sulphated ash at 1%

As i understand Delo 100 reports out to 0.8 wt/%

Detroit spec'ed the 2 strokers oil to sulphated ash less than 1%

From what I have learned  the old DD 2 strokes need a specific oil, straight weight 40, low ash,
the challenge is how to start them in the cold and is modern multi weight oil up to the task??

IMHO a block heater is the best solution even with the challenges that may bring
D

Thank You Sponsors!