Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

SawyerTed

Great demonstration!  

Do you use the magnetic scale in combination with the SimpleSet?  

I use the scale when when I can so that any trim boards come off the top of the cant rather than just above the bottom board.  If I have squared the cant correctly using the scale, the SimpleSet takes over and the rest of the boards come out right (as your video shows).
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Ted,

I don't understand your comment about the magnetic scale use. Are you talking about the quarter scale vs the permanent scale? I turn to my final face and start on a predetermined mark from my cheat sheet then use my SS to cut the thickness boards I want then I finish right on my mark leaving the dog board the same as the ones I just cut above it. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

I use the magnetic scale as my "cheat sheet".  So I move the magnetic scale so the bottom board comes out even.  Then I set the SimpleSet to align with the magnetic scale.  That way the trim is on the top rather than the bottom board having to be trimmed.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

4/4, 5/4, 6/4 and 8/4 scale.  It doesn't work with boards that don't align with the quarter scale.

WV Sawmiller

Ted,

My cheat sheet has a wide variety of cuts from 1/2" to 4" to allow for whatever the customer wants. Anything less than an inch I set up so the bottom board is a 1" board as my dogging cleats are already short enough. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

I cipher like Jetho Bodine on anything other than the quarter scale.  :D

Actually, I'm the only customer so far wanting anything other than quarter scale with one exception.  I have a guy that orders 5/8th siding. 

WV Sawmiller

I cut mostly true 4/4, 6/4 and 8/4 but have had customers want 1/2, 7/8 or 3/4 and sometimes they want their 4/4 actually 1-1/6  or 1-1/8 or such. I am "service oriented" and try to please.
Howard Green

richhiway

Thanks. Because I cut for myself I don't care about the bottom board. I just set it aside and use it for furniture or some other project. If I was cutting for someone I would definitly use a cheat sheet, I try to figure it in my head but I am not that quick.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Yes I use the scale in combination with the computor.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Bandmill Bandit

This is a good video to be sure.

It also shows the primary reason a GREEN laser is a time saver. You don't have to move the mill to the cant to get that set point because the laser will show it to you just by dropping the head till the laser is on the top edge of the cant. You start the simple set at that height and you are off.  

I use the ruler with the simple set because the ruler knows where the bed is, same as Accuset.

If you are cutting to 1/4 scale, (ie 4/4) you make sure you open the log with the ruler marker always on a 4/4 mark. That way you always have 4/4 boards right to the bed or whatever 1/4 dimension you are cutting for.

When you do it that way you can truly set and forget the math. I don't use a cheat this way because there is no need for one. The puter does the math for me so no need for a cheat sheet when I open the log using the ruler to ensure that I am in the proper scale dimension that I am cutting to.

What does that mean?
Less lumber waste,
Less cuts per log.
No off size dog boards unless I screw up.
Faster log processing
Fewer material handling cycles/cut passes. Material volume is the same but less pieces.          
Bottom line; IF you worry about the first top board starting point you don't have to even think about the bottom because it will be the correct set whne you get there cause you started off right. 

That is exactly what accuset does! Calculates for the first board instead of the last one.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

SawyerTed

We are talking the same method - Using either the quarter scale or a cheat sheet to determine the top cut then setting the SS so all boards in a cant or log come out the same.  And using the scale or cheat sheet and the SS to arrive at the target cant so boards coming off the sides are same thickness.  The goal is to make sure trim boards are avoided and getting the optimum yield from the log.

As long the quarter scale is aligned so the bottom board is at least 4/4, I can't hit the cant stops on the bed.  However, I can saw into the back stops or clamp if they are above the 1" mark - I'm sure you know why.

I just haven't had demand for anything other than boards cut to the quarter scale.  Occasionally. I get requests for 12/4 or 16/4 live edge stuff.  

Stuart Caruk

While I love the quarter scale, I'm sold on Simple Set, and even more sold on Accuset. Quite simply, there is no easier way to make consistent (rather than thick and thin) lumber than by letting the computer position the height of the blade for you. I don't care how much practice you have, you just can't bump the head down the exact same amount every time by hand.

FWIW, I get a lot of siding business because my competitors either don't have any form of setworks, or simply don't know how to use it.

Accuset 2 gives you the abilities of Simple Set with 16 places to store the settings, as well as a kerf setting to make exactly the proper thickness boards with the kerf accounted for. Being able to move up a preset value, saw in a pattern mode all the way to the deck, or just move quickly to a reference height is worth the investment as well.

Nice video.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

WV Sawmiller

You guys talking about not needing a cheat sheet and just using the SS in conjunction with the magnetic quarter scale makes me think I must be cutting more odd sizes than other people. I think I have added a new column to my cheat sheet every time I got a customer ask for a new size. I think I got the idea years ago here on the forum reading one of the MagicMan's posts about one. Of course by now he probably has all the marks memorized but my mental hard drive is full and every time I learn or memorize something new I have to dump some memory to make the room and it might be a memory dump that gets me in trouble (Like my wife's birthday or something) so I just write it down and forget it. Attached below is my current cheat sheet. One of these days a guy will want some 3-5/16" or such and I will have to add another column. :D

One feature I noticed on the Accuset was the toggle up function which would have allowed me to start on my bottom cut, set the thickness then just toggle up to the top of the cant. I don't know how many people use that but if I had Accuset I sure would be using that one too.

EDIT: I had an error on my cheat sheet on the 5/8" column so I corrected it, deleted and added the corrected version. If you saved the earliar version please delete it and use this one. Sorry 'bout that.
Howard Green

Magicman

:o  Oh my, I don't have anything nearly that complicated. 

My little sheet is seen in the top left and I don't use but a small portion of it.  I have mentally adjusted several of the numbers but as long as I remember to fudge up/down of those they still work.  ::)

I will occasionally make a practice run of an odd size to establish a starting point.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Well, I guess I could simplify and just put 2-3 points for each thickness board and start on one of them even if it meant I had to toggle down 2-3 times before I actually started sawing.  say_what
Howard Green

Magicman

Which is what I do.  One at ~12", another at ~16",and the top at ~20".   I only have 1" plus the dimensional lumber thicknesses saved, but I have memorized all of them. 

When sawing thinner than 1" or an odd thickness, I just start at the first board and do a cleanup cut at 1".  If there are several logs, I usually make a "practice" run noting the starting point.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

richhiway

My mental hard drive is full. That's a good one. 
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!