iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

brands of mulchers

Started by 421Altered, June 08, 2020, 01:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

421Altered

Ok, guys.  I have bought a JD323E skid steer and want to buy a mulcher to clear up some land that was clear cut 10 years ago and then allowed to grow up in trash trees.  My 323e has the hi flow hyd option, but, it only puts out 26gpm, not really all that high.  My question is I've looked at web sites till my head spins, so I really need some real world info on which name brand and or type of mulcher would be best for me.  I know that is nearly impossible to answer, but, some help from people that have the same or similiar machine would be nice.  I have about 70 acres to mulch and get ready to plant pine trees on, and I am retired so I have plenty of time.  Mostly what I want to mulch is 6" diameter and less spindly hardwoods.  Also, I'm not planning to do it commercially either, just for myself, so, I can't afford the most expensive mulcher out there.  
  Also, I know I need a polycarbonate door for my machine, but, cannot find one for this machine, can anyone help out on this?
  Thanks in advance!

mike_belben

Whatever brand you go with, i suggest you get one with a drum that has the segment ribs between each tooth in order to limit how fast the machine tries to eat.  Looks like youve got 25gpm @ 3250psi in high flow.  Probably on the lower end of the mulcher spectrum. 

Diamondmowers.com has an image on the front page of what i mean. 
Praise The Lord

Riwaka

There are aftermarket forestry doors for D and G. Number of hinges on door vary. (D and Es share the same glass for some doors)
https://www.skidsteersolutions.com/john-deere-forestry-windshield-shields/

JD has two lists for the 323e depending on the PIN number of the machine. For the first pin number series.
Has a few door options. 
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/81790/level/3/snp/NzA3MzI6Q0hBUFRFUlsxMDYxOiNCVVNJTkVTU19SRUdJT04sMTE5NTojQ0FUQUxPRyw4MTc5MDpFUVVJUE1FTlQsMTI3ODY6Q0hBUFRFUl0

pine

That JD CTL is a bit on the small side as you know for doing the job.  I really like my Fecon head.  I looked at all of them and Fecon was the hands down standout for me.  I know down in the SE the folks really like their Cimafs but if you have any rock just don't go there.  Call Fecon and see if they can tune a head to fit your flow and machine.  Never hurts to ask the question.  When I get my next head it will be a Fecon as well.
What @mike_belben was probably referring to is a DCR head.  Depth Control Rotor.  Pluses and minus depends on the teeth (tools) that you are using and what you are doing as to whether it is right for you.  Fecon has the DCR heads as well as the HDT and FGT heads.  Take a look at them.

421Altered

Thanks to everyone that has responded to my posts.  All contained good info that I will be following up on!  Thanks again!

Bpoud86

I know Fecon makes a mulcher head for lower flow machines with 25+ gph. 
The problem will be keeping your hydraulics cool, these attachments are very abusive to the carrier. 
Check their website, I believe the model I'm referring to has a 50" cut and weights around 1300 pounds. 
🙈

Walnut Beast

Loftness Timber AX ,  Gyro trac and Fecon as mentioned. Chipper teeth or carbide? If your in rocky ground probably carbide. Chipper teeth can really cut. You can sharpen them. I hate to tell you. You really need more hydraulic flow. You won't be happy with the results. These heads are expensive and demanding . Hydraulic cooler, polycarbonate door and reversing fans are just a few things needed

Thank You Sponsors!