iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade width & guides

Started by hopm, September 01, 2022, 12:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

Have mostly run 1 1/4" blades on my mill. Run 1 1/2" this week and got really cuts....flat and clean. Just noticed last night guide rollers were warm to touch. Blade was cool. Is this something to cause concern? 

Southside

Can't say I have ever checked mine but if you think about the physics I would expect the results you discovered.  Awful lot more surface area, and thinner cross section, on a band than the guides and the band is passing through the wood so lot of opportunity to shed heat, where the guides are a chunk of metal, basically a heat sink.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

fluidpowerpro

If it was just warm, I wouldn't worry about it. All things mechanical, such as a bearing, have a certain amount of inefficiency. The energy loss due to this inefficiency shows up as heat.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

doc henderson

coming from the inside and outside on the guide.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

How old are the bearings?

WM says run either, and I do.  I get good results with 1.5s and no issues but have the rollers for 1.25s.

Metal on metal will get hot, the question is how hot is hot ?
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Silverfoxfintry

The Steel that Bearings are made from tend to lose hardness if heated much above 120/130c.
Not much, but enough to shorten their service life.
However. Remember that the bearings may get significantly hotter than the rollers, especially after regreasing.
Hope this helps.

Silverfox.

Thank You Sponsors!