iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's happy customer

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 27, 2019, 02:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdaddy01

hersnsh#590

We used to make white ash snowshoe frames.  We'd soak the blanks in water with Downey fabric softener, then put them in a heated pressure steamer with 25 psi pressure for  couple of hours. It was amazing how pliable the wood was, for  a few minutes until it cooled.

dale
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

WV Sawmiller

I did not get his picture but he sent me one of what he did with the wood he got from me a year of so back.

He is a local doctor who is retiring very soon and says he is going to spend more time wood working so I have high hope for a boost in sales. He even brought his future, now actual SIL, over last year and he bought some odd pieces for wood turning and says they turned out well. Anyway the Doctor and his wife came and bought about 20 bf of lumber. He says he just needed a couple of pieces to make legs for a dining room table he plans to make with his leftovers from the above chair project. He decided he needed a piece of 4/4 for stock so he liked a 6' 1X8 then his wife remind him that would not be enough so he bought another. She is fast becoming one of my favorite people. They love to come look and I love to see how excited he is to show off the results of his work with my wood.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

Tuesday's happy customer came over just before it started raining again and picked up a 10' piece of bark on slab he needed for an outside balance beam project.
He got one but most of the bark was falling off and I mentioned it to him that it would but he got it anyway.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Today's first happy customer came by to pick up some trailer decking for a long drop frame trailer:

He thought he couldn't back the truck up next to the pile, but when he started moving one plank, he soon moved the truck.

Jim Rogers
PS. Thanks Coady towing out of Lawrence, MA

Jim_Rogers

Today's second happy customer came over and got a 4" thick x 18" wide clear piece of lumber 12' long.
He's going to cut it in half and make 2-9" beams to hold up a roof for his outside cooking area.
Oh well once it leaves the yard they can do what they want with it.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer brought over a piece of cherry burl that he bought online from somewhere out west.
He wanted it sliced down the middle.
It took a bit to get the clamp to hold it but we got it and it came out like he wanted it:

He's going to make his wife either a coffee table or an end table from the best piece.
I hope she's happy.

Jim Rogers

WV Sawmiller

Good job on the burl. I have cut a few and I always tell the customer they may just explode during the process and not to hold me responsible if they do. It is a fine line between not enough tension to hold them steady and overclamping and throwing shrapnel everywhere. It looks like he had several inches of good wood on the outsides to help hold it together. Anyway, burls are one of those breath holding exercises IMHO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

Today's first happy customer came over to pick up a piece of eastern white pine that was 4"x18"x12' for an outdoor bench seat.

Today's second happy customer came over to pick up a 2x4x5'. He stopped by last week when I was busy with someone else and asked me if I could cut him one. I said yes. He asked me how much would it cost. I told him $3 and he gave me 2. I really hope he never comes back.
Jim Rogers

samandothers

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 03, 2019, 01:43:41 PM
Today's second happy customer came over to pick up a 2x4x5'. He stopped by last week when I was busy with someone else and asked me if I could cut him one. I said yes. He asked me how much would it cost. I told him $3 and he gave me 2. I really hope he never comes back.
Jim Rogers

Would have been fun to take the 5' board and cut 20" off of it and handed it to him!  :snowball:

Peter Drouin

I would not put up with that for a second. I have customers try to get me to lower the price.
No way. Customers leave with no lumber unless they pay up.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

if it was a scrap going in the fire pit, and he was a friend maybe, but if you had to crank up the mill and custom cut it, prob should have been 20 dollars.  i guess that is part of dealing with a cross section of humanity!  good luck!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer came over to pick up some timbers for his timber frame shed project as well as some siding boards.
I took this snap shot just before he attached his red flag.

On the truck is a 7x9x16' some 4x5s and some 3x5 brace stock. All eastern white pine.
Jim Rogers

Old Greenhorn

Well, I don't have a picture (I don't even have many customers because this isn't a job for me), but I milled some 2-3/4x10x16' top boards for a friends dump truck. As he pulled out I thought of the folks here and how many of you would like to have a customer like this. I was sanding a table in the yard when he came in, driving his 350 and pulling a trailer loaded with a mini-excavator. He backed up next to the planks, got out with a helper and loaded while we talked, he handed me the cash payment between boards and as soon as he had it secured, he was off. No muss no fuss. I  know he was happy, and I was happy too. His only comment was that he liked the spalting in that maple. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer came over and picked up planks for two trailer decks. One for this trailer and one for another contract hauler he uses. He also got a stack of blocks. Thanks TJ heavy hauling.

Jim Rogers

Hilltop366

Quote from: samandothers on June 03, 2019, 09:03:05 PM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 03, 2019, 01:43:41 PM
Jim Rogers

Would have been fun to take the 5' board and cut 20" off of it and handed it to him!  :snowball:
Reminds me of my Grandfather, in the seventies he had a roadside stand where he sold vegetables, apples and eggs.
A guy a half a mile up the road was telling me that he stopped to get a dozen eggs but when he went to pay he was short 10 cents and said I'll pay you the 10 cents later so my grandfather says ok and handed him the eggs.

When the guy got home he looked and there were only 11 eggs, the guy has yet to figure out how he got the egg out of the carton without him seeing it.

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer came over from the next town to get some 4x4s and a 4x6 to practice cutting some timber framing joints.
thanks Glen:

Jim Rogers

KenMac

My first customer is a coworker who picked  up a couple slabs of Red Oak. Hope he understands that it will crack and move as it dries!

Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

I took a load of assorted wood products to a large local flea market today and must have had 8-10 former and one in the works customer come by. One said he bought a small walnut crotch and sliced into 1/4 blanks for knife handle he makes and wanted to show me pictures of how it looked. Another couple have bought wide poplar (I had to get mules to pull the big logs) for a shed he built and said they were building a Fla room and were going to want some pine. I offered him another card but he said he had me on speed dial. Another reminded me I had been by January of last year and sawed a bunch of cedar, cherry and ash and said he was getting another load ready for me to come back. best of all he recently gave some of the wood to a friend sent him to me me as another customer who has been by and bought some and I visited him Wednesday and looked at several big RO logs he wants me to saw as soon as weather and our schedules mesh. One lady saw a crate of kids blocks like I made my grandson and suggested I could take the 3-4 inch cubes and paint from one to six dots on each face and sell them as "Yard Dice". I may try that too. It was a lot of fun visiting with old customers who are now friends and having them tell me how much they enjoyed the wood and sawing. That is worth way more than the cash.

Then, of course, I had to have one knothead come by and want 6 tomato stakes (I had them bundled in stacks of a dozen but agreed to split a bundle for him as a favor) and wanted to reject any with a slight bend or a loose splinter or such then wanted me to tie them back into a neat bundle for him. I think he was about to ask me to take them to his car when he realized I had about reached the end of my rope. Oh well, there is one in every crowd I guess.
Howard Green

terrifictimbersllc

Good you were patient with him. He might be dealing with a vampire infestation.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

A few more minutes and he'd have ended up with a (tomato) stake through the heart. :D He'd probably have checked it to make sure it was straight and no knots. >:(
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

GEEZ! My own kids!
 So my 3rd job is for my Daughter and SIL, they want to build a flight of stairs off the back of their deck. I offered to make their lumber as they wanted it, told them "just give me a cut list of what you NEED" and I'll find you some nice hardwood.
 SO this morning my daughter texts me the list and one of the items is "Treads: 5 pcs 1x6x8' " so I text her back and ask if she does think 1" is a bit thin for an 8' long tread, perhaps I should cut them 1 1/2" ? She says, "oh no, they are actually going to be 4' long, we just figured 8 footers would be easier, we will cut them in half". ARRRGGGHHH! ;D :D
 So I explained how things work and now we are good. I am always looking for a way to use those 5' logs that find their way in.
 I suppose if I had the mill when they were growing up they would already know this so I don't count it as a failure on my part or theirs, but still.
 GEEZ, my own kids. :-[
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

OG,

Yeah, we all have those tales. I cut a special order of 3/4" X 6" X 16' poplar for a guy 85 miles away. When I asked him how he was going to transport it he said in his pick up. It had a 6-1/2' bed but when he opened the tailgate it made it 8'.  After I pointed out the problem hauling a 16'-6" load he decided to rent a 12' trailer from U-haul. I've read of the folks here who cut the customers 20' order only to have them saw it in half to fit on their 4X8 trailer. Or the guy wanting pine or poplar for a horse fence or posts in the ground. Keeps life interesting.
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Yes, I know. I have read SO many of those stories here which is why I just shook my head, put on my calm 'Dad Voice' and explained to her that she provides the cut list and as the sawyer I will decide how to best supply that. I might be more sensitive because I have spent a good part of the last 45 years having engineers try to tell me how to make the parts they design. I usually hand them my mic, get them in front of the machine, and say "here, show me". ;D

goose63

Jon has a car body shop he asked if I had some slabs for a table in the brake room

Now I  should sell him pine toung and grove to do the wall with
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!