iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I had an ususual customer today.

Started by pnyberg, September 13, 2011, 09:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnyberg

He's an artist.  From what I saw, it seems he works exclusively with wood.  But like most of us, he's willing to be flexible, trying to find what it is that people will buy.  In his workshop/studio, I saw some sculpture, some furniture, and a lot of boxes.  I'm guessing the boxes are his bread and butter, though he'd rather be doing sculpture.

He's also a sawyer.  He's got a Wood-Mizer.  It's an older model, and unfortunately for him (though not for me), it's no longer working.  I have no idea what the model number might be, but it's aluminum...

That's probably my finger in the upper left corner again.

Obviously his experience is with a manual mill.  I didn't see any scales on the mill, so I'm not sure how he managed the blade height, but he was used to thinking about cuts in a way that assumed that the kerf was deducted from the final board thickness.  But he still expressed his desires in 'normal' thicknesses.  He'd say he wanted a cut to be 1", but what he wanted was a board that was 1" less the 3/32" kerf.  When I explained to him that my setworks took the kerf into account, he briefly tried to take this into account when requesting board thicknesses, but this was clearly giving him a headache.  So, I told him that I could remove the kerf compensation setting from the setworks, and the measurements should work like his manual mill.  He was one happy camper after that.  (I really have to remember to put that kerf setting back to where it should be before my next customer.)

So, off we went.  Artists generally don't have a lot of money, and this one was clearly interested in getting the biggest bang for his buck.  Every log started with taking off a pretty big slab.  Most customers would have thought that we were wasting wood, but he know that this was a way to avoid wasting time.  After that, he'd look at the cant and give me instructions.  Generally he'd want thicker material (1", 3/4") from the outside, and thinner material (1/2", 3/8", 1/4") toward the center.  Occasionally he'd ask for a thicker slab for whatever reason.  Almost everything was 'through and through' with two live edges. 

At the end of the day, everyone was tired and happy.  The final picture is one that he took and emailed to me.

--Peter
No longer milling

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yup, two questions.  Species of logs, and did you buy the sawmill  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Looks like an old LT20. 

Nice stack of lumber.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pnyberg

Quote from: WDH on September 13, 2011, 10:00:23 PM
What kind of wood?
Red and white oak, ash, walnut, white pine, spruce, and something he thought might be cottonwood.

Variety is the spice of life.

--Peter
No longer milling

metalspinner

Yep,
That looks like an artistic pile of wood. :D

Is he planning on using the thin stuff green or is he going to try and dry it? I would be curious in his drying approach for the thin stuff.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

zopi

That is an lt20...last I heard woodmizer was wanting to acquire a few of them...but that was a few years back.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

MM

Thats a LT20 create version. They was designed to fit into a small single engine plane to be used in remote areas. A lot of them went to missions. They make ok lumber. not anything like the mills of today. only two log supports.
M.L. Morrow
812/614-1825

terrifictimbersllc

Very nice looking pile of wide boards, a testament to quality and Resharp.  Congratulations.  How many blades did you use that day?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pnyberg

Quote from: metalspinner on September 14, 2011, 08:10:13 AM
Is he planning on using the thin stuff green or is he going to try and dry it? I would be curious in his drying approach for the thin stuff.

He air dries it. He said he spaces the stickers close together and puts a lot of weight on the top.

--Peter
No longer milling

pnyberg

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 14, 2011, 02:02:05 PM
Very nice looking pile of wide boards, a testament to quality and Resharp.  Congratulations.  How many blades did you use that day?
I used 3 blades.  Two 9°, and a 4°.  I thought the second 9° would last the rest of the day, but it wouldn't cut a large white oak properly.  It was leaving a slight crown on the cant side-to-side.  This is the second time this year that I've seen this sawing white oak with what I thought was a sharp 9° blade.  In both instances switching to a 4° blade resulted in better cuts.  I left the 4° on for a large spruce to finish out the day but still got some dips at the knots.

--Peter
No longer milling

5quarter

Very nice sawing on your part.  I'm thinking that with the variety of species and thicknesses, he will soon find out what a real headache he's created...hehe.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Brad_bb

I was reading the story and was expecting the punch line of, at the end he realized that they were all too thick by the kerf width, and didn't want to pay.  smiley_whacko
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

Having a range of thicknesses is good for flexibility.  People invariably ask for what I don't have.  A mix increases the project possibilities, although I never cut thinner than 4/4 in hardwood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Of course the wider the range of species and sizes the better, just not all in the same stack. Imagine the fellows frustration trying to stack that hodgepodge of lumber in such a way that it doesn't all go squirrely on him :D :D. Well, maybe I'm the only one who thinks that image is funny.
   I never cut less than 4/4 either, but I routinely resaw air dried stock on the mill to obtain the same thin dimensions as pnybergs customer.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!