iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wild hogs

Started by pineywoods, December 14, 2018, 02:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

The hills of north Louisiana have become heavily infested with ferral hogs. They have become mostly nocturnal ie sleep all day and forage at night in herds. Here's what my lawn looks like after one night of invasion. 

Legal to take them any time, any way, but they have become smart.
Baited traps worked for a while, but seldom work any more. Adding to the problem is the practice of deer hunters putting out corn for bait. Hogs love corn and they run in herds of 1 to 2 dozen and hit a different deer hunters bait each night. I put a baited cage type trap on the edge of my lawn, but the hogs haven't been back.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Raider Bill

DanG it that's a lot of damage for over night!

Time for some night vision mounted on a AR :rifle:
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WV Sawmiller

Mom's handyman in N. Fla has a trap there on her place that he periodically baits, sets and catches a few. I think he just leaves it open with bait for several weeks then when ready he  sets it. 

Last summer I was down there and ran into an old classmate and met her husband who says he catches 20-25 at a time using an elevated pen trap on their place. It is hooked to a wireless trail camera and switch and he can see how many and where they are under his trap. When ready he hits the remote, from his phone I think, and catches a bunch. He says the hogs don't seem to get alarmed at the pen above them and he catches big bunches again in the same spot. They never seem to get used to or alarmed by the elevated trap.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 14, 2018, 02:50:22 PM
DanG it that's a lot of damage for over night!

Time for some night vision mounted on a AR :rifle:
5 gallon pail of Tannerite right over the corn pile.....Get 'em all with one shot.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

timberking

Was out  south of Abilene deer hunting last week and killed the first hog off of that ranch.  Rough prickly pear, mesquite, and thorns everywhere makes you wonder how they make it.  Was just a matter of time before they showed up.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: timberking on December 17, 2018, 08:58:09 AM
Was out  south of Abilene deer hunting last week and killed the first hog off of that ranch.  Rough prickly pear, mesquite, and thorns everywhere makes you wonder how they make it.  Was just a matter of time before they showed up.
Heat is tough on hogs, they need mud and water to cool off in the heat of summer, I suspect that there wont be many out there, also suspect some body brought them in.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

charles mann

Run real rough curs on them. I used to run some peanut busting, ham chewing yellers and if i didnt get there asap, hind end would be torn up, but sitting down, waiting to hobbled. Ran some with some guys out of serepta, la. They had good dogs and not many hogs got away. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

timberking

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 17, 2018, 09:24:59 AM
Quote from: timberking on December 17, 2018, 08:58:09 AM
Was out  south of Abilene deer hunting last week and killed the first hog off of that ranch.  Rough prickly pear, mesquite, and thorns everywhere makes you wonder how they make it.  Was just a matter of time before they showed up.
Heat is tough on hogs, they need mud and water to cool off in the heat of summer, I suspect that there wont be many out there, also suspect some body brought them in.
They had been around close by but there are a lot out there.  Ag fields in the area and tons of protein and corn being put out.  Small ponds or tanks there for the cattle.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: timberking on December 19, 2018, 10:13:15 AM
Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 17, 2018, 09:24:59 AM

They had been around close by but there are a lot out there.  Ag fields in the area and tons of protein and corn being put out.  Small ponds or tanks there for the cattle.
Well, they are adaptable devils, and once they adapt they are hard to get rid of.  We killed or trapped over 70 one year on 800 acres and did nothing to thin the crop.  Near Livingston.

goose63

You guys need some help shooting them hogs let me know me and my 45-70 will be happy to come down there  fudd-smiley fudd-smiley :rifle: :rifle:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Texas Ranger

Quote from: goose63 on December 20, 2018, 09:39:21 AM
You guys need some help shooting them hogs let me know me and my 45-70 will be happy to come down there  fudd-smiley fudd-smiley :rifle: :rifle:
That thing wont shoot fast enough, at least an AR with 30 rounds, or a machine gun, should you be so lucky.

goose63

No it don't but makes a big hole Ido have a 308 and a 7mm Mag
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

starmac

They can sure play havoc in a hayfield in one night.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Peter Drouin

Put a bounty on them People will make a living and no more hogs.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

went to a college visit yesterday.  Talked with a bio-chem professor who grew up on a farm.  they have developed a biological that will kill feral hogs.  the problem is it kills domestic stock hogs as well. :o
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

petefrom bearswamp

A few escaped from a local game farm about 15 yeas ago and multiplied to a few "families" in a couple of years.
We hunted them in winter by tracking as we didnt have any dogs.
I was the truck man following the chase.
Killed 23 one year and ate quite a lot, was OK. I tried to make bacon but the loins were too small.
USDA and our state agency started a trapping program in about 06 or so.
My friend poo pooed the idea saying they will never get rid of them.
Dont see any evidence of them here now.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Woodpecker52

Just part of the south now kudzu, fire ants, moonshine, rattlers, and razorbacks.  One will cover you up in one night, one will get you jumping out of your britches, one will give you a good night sleep, one if you step on will make you the high jump champion, and the other will beat your team in football, and basketball and baseball etc. etc. ....... day or night  :D
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Peter Drouin

Quote from: doc henderson on March 26, 2019, 07:16:50 AM
went to a college visit yesterday.  Talked with a bio-chem professor who grew up on a farm.  they have developed a biological that will kill feral hogs.  the problem is it kills domestic stock hogs as well. :o

Killing like that is never the answer.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

doc henderson

I agree, just a comment on research i heard about.  i think enough people want to kill them the old fashioned way.  just like other domestic animals going feral, it can get out of control.  if they would become a vector for serious human disease might change the outlook.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Peter Drouin

That would make a difference.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

doc henderson

it was a casual visit with a biochem professor, and i had not heard of that before. I thought it was interesting but also doubt it will be practical or used.

Skip

Hope not, we got enough poison and biological agents out there . Scary there even is such a thing.

Texas Ranger

In Texas they have become so invasive that we kill them anyway we can, and have not hurt the population.

Southside

Biological warfare on our own soil.  What could possibly go wrong?  I wonder if your associate ever heard of the poor kid and his dog out in Idaho that got into the US govt planted cyanide bomb?  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Woodpecker52

Idiots wanted to spread MIREX coated seeds all across the south to kill fire ants.  Now that would have been a biological disaster.  That makes as much sense as turning corn pollen into insect killing machines.  Might this be the reason butterfly s are having such a hard time?
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Thank You Sponsors!