iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I finally found a shed

Started by thecfarm, January 24, 2019, 02:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

I've probably got a dozen or so I've collected over the years. I made my daughter a necklace out of a point one year for jul. Carved some designs in it. I don't think she cared. Oh, well. I had fun making it. I need to dig that one up, and make something for myself. I pick them up with the intention of cutting them apart and making things, but I can't bring myself to cut them. They're too interesting as they are.

thecfarm

Quote from: lxskllr on March 25, 2019, 09:02:54 PMThey're too interesting as they are.
How right you are. I gave my step son some of my Fathers deer horns that he had shot. He keeps them on the table and people will come over and just pick them up and look at them. He gets a lot of enjoyment out of them. More than I would. I am glad they went to a good home. He also has a trapping tag of my Fathers too. Made out of copper and my Father's name is stamped in the copper.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Thank you for sharing your treasure Ray, and also for showing what you are doing for your deer herd.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Yea,but where do the deer go during hunting season? As I posted I have a stepson that hunts this area. I've had 6 hunters here at one time. They might and I say might hear something,but none have ever fired a shot.  :( I guess they need to hunt with a tractor under them.  :D The deer will stop coming to feed,when the snow is gone.
I just enjoy seeing them. The deer was here long before I built a house in their backyard. 
I have only started to see bucks in the last 2 years. He always ask me about horns. Never seen any until last summer. I know the bucks are here,but don't see them. I've been feeding them for 18 years and this is the first time I found a shed close by. Brenda found one across the road in the field years ago.

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on March 30, 2019, 12:14:30 PMYea,but where do the deer go during hunting season?
Since there is snow on the ground, tracks?  smiley_headscratch   whiteflag_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

They bed down in the swamp during the day and eat at night.  
when the shooting starts. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

@Magicman,that's what snow is for in Nov. ;) Stepson came up with only a few inches of snow on the ground. I think he was alone. Well don't matter because he was alone in the woods. :o  He crissed crossed my land and then headed for Gordon hill. Came back and said,I don't know where the deer are,but I know where they are not,around here. He left and went hunting someplace else. There is a couple good miles on that hill. I said he brings 5 others at time. Friends and thier Fathers and than more friends of the Fathers and so. He always calls and ask. The stepson brings his Father up here to hunt too. And these guys are hunters. We usually have Thanksgiving dinner and yes the wife's ex is here too and that's all they talk about.  One year there was 4 tree stands on my land. A good piece of land is hard to come by now. Yes there are hunting spots but having someone walk by once every 15 minutes gets old quick. Not that way here. I do have some land posted and some will ask,but I say no,I want to keep it for my family. :) Than there are the deer scraps,where they dig the ground up. These guys cover some ground at times. It's not all sitting in a stand all day either. I hear the stories and they wonder where they go too. They have the good GPS that tells them where they are,the lay of the land and all that good stuff.
@Peter Drouin, my swamp is not that big,but a couple hundred feet wide by 1500 feet long can hide some deer. I've been in that thing a few times. Make sure I can walk a straight line and the sun is out. ;)  
If them DanG deer have enough smarts to stand still a person could walk within 50 feet and not see one. Sometimes I am on the tractor and see them run off in the woods. I know the spot they run off too and I have to really look to see them.

Magicman

Many times I have walked my property and swore that there could not be a deer anywhere on it.  Late in the evening out pops deer.  :o

Peter Drouin

They lay down and are hard to see. 

A&P saw Mill LLC.

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

timberking

No sheds yet but did find a complete skeleton last week just inside woodline next to young plantation.  8 pt. from last season barely legal (13" inside spread).  

thecfarm

Found another one!!! Well pumpkin found it.  ;D  Wife's dog.She was running in front of the tractor. All at once she jerks around and starts to smell. Just another animal trail I thought,she does that a lot in front of me. This time she really lingered. She knows not to stop in front of the tractor. I hollered to her and she stays off. But I thought it was strange,like she tried to bite at something before she rook off, I stopped and there it was. It was on the graveled woods road. I had run over it many times. I broke off one of the points. Was not a big horn,just a small one,so no big points to go through the tire. I walked through there a few time,so I might of saw a big one.
That is number 5 that I have found.

Peter Drouin

With a 100 dear in your back yard. you should have a truckload. :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Only 50 at a time. Most years,well the last 17 years,I never saw a buck,well with horns,on my land. I saw one a few years ago and saw a couple last summer,than when I was feeding there was 4-5 with horns. I would suspect that is why I am finding the sheds.

thecfarm

stepson find one this time. I was running over that one too. A small one.I have not seen it yet,but it might match one of the ones I have found.

Thank You Sponsors!