iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pen and Pencil Turning

Started by Fla._Deadheader, March 07, 2006, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Need all necessary info, machine, accessories, video, etc., etc. ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Texas Ranger

Rockler and Grizzly got it all.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Den Socling

stumpy

I started making pens just before Christmas and found a DVD from Penn State industries was very helpful. They were offering it free at the time. You can check their website. If it's no longer free, drop me a note and I can send you mine to watch. Making the pen is the easy part. Finding and applying the best finish is another story. I have tried a couple different finishes and have not hit on one that I'm happy with.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Fla._Deadheader

Checked out the Lathe. What kinda tools is needed ??  Thanks for the responses
   First, it is ridiculed;

shopteacher

You'se needs 2 big vacuum pumps ta make them pens with.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

I'm trying to figure a way to get them pumps down here and on to CR.

Gotta help Ed do some mounting of Sand Blowers on a boat and then we have a sawing job.
   First, it is ridiculed;

stumpy

I use the following. Pen press (for assembling the pens), pen mill ( to square the blanks), drilling vice (to hold the blanks centered for drilling), a good turning tool. I don't know the term for it, but it is half round at the end.
Some will say you don't have to buy all those things, but I chose to because it makes it easier for me as I am not a craftsman by any means.

Tom

Perhaps this will help to give you an idea of tools.
It isn't unusual, especially for small or strange-shaped
designs for a turner to make his own tools.  Most
anthing that will  make a cutting edge will work if
it is the  shape desired.

metalspinner

A 1/2" spindle gouge and a parting tool will make any pen kit you want.  I use the drill press to push the parts together ( off, of course).  Pen mill is a must-have item.  A simple fence on the drill press and a clamp will drill nice straight holes for you.
Well... here's a list:
Lathe, 1/2" spindle gouge, 1/8" parting tool, drill press, mandrel, bushings for selected kit, drill bit for selected kit, pen mill, extra tubes, 5 minute epoxy to glue tubes, Thick and thin CA glue for use in turning as needed, sand paper through 400 grit (Norton 3X is my favorate), 0000 steel wool to follow up sanding, Behlen's friction finish, wood, and 15 minutes.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

brdmkr

Grizzly used to sell a kit that would let you make pens with a router.  You mounted the blank between 2 wheels and rolled the wheels over a router with a half-inch straight bit.  I never have made pens, but thought this might work pretty well for me as I am all thumbs smiley_thumbsup_grin
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

You gett'em too close to that router bit and it'll take care of that for you.  :D

katie-did

Hey DH
    I have been turning pens for about a year know. I will tell you what I do it may not be the right way but it works and my customers are really happy with them.
I by most of my stuff from Penn State or The Woodturners Catalog they are both on the web. The Woodturners Catalog is the cheapest on a lot of the pen kits that I by and they are the same as the rest so why pay the extra money.
   I use a cheap mini lathe that I bought at a box store ($88), I have a pen turning set of tools but I use a 1/2" wood chisel (this is the nonprofessional tool but I like it and it works (easy to sharpen), I also use the parting tool on any pen that has a band on it, Hot Stuff Super-T for the glue (it is a super glue type really fast drying and I have no patience, it also works great to glue little knots and voids on the outside of the pen finishes good), I also use Excel Glue for spalted woods and porous woods because it expands to fill the voids, I use the box set of sand paper it has 150, 240, 320 & 400 grit sand paper then I clean it with 000 steel wool, on darker woods I use EEE Ultra Shine it polishes the wood before you finish it, I also have tried several finishes and the one I like is Shellwax Cream it is easy to put on and holds GREAT (apply 3 coats steel wool between coat 1 and 2), I bought a pen press putting then together with a gripper clap is not the way!!!! I just use a wood screw clamp to drill my blanks and a band saw to do any cutting, universal barrel trimmer, oh and of course you need your mandrel right for your lathe and bushings and drill bit(s) for the type of pens you are turning (if you are going to be turning alot of one kind I would suggest the you buy a second set of bushings. I think that is all if you have anymore questions I will be happy to answer what I can.
   Here are picture of some of the ones that I have done. (Made 80 for Christmas just burn out on it right now and have a lot more to do)

Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

Fla._Deadheader

Katie-did, and others, really appreciate all the info.

Are there refills for the ballpoints, or, is this a 1 shot pen ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

metalspinner

Standard refills from anywhere will work.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

stumpy

On Woodweb.com (I'm so ashamed!!!) in the classified section, someone is selling a mini lathe and all the pen turning stuff. I don't know how much, but I thought I'd let ya know.

Radar67

From the price he quoted, you could go out and buy new for less IMO. I've been checking around and the JET lathe with accessories comes out less than 650.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

stumpy

As I said, I didn't know what he was asking for it. I never called or email'ed. I just thought I'd pass it on cause maybe it would help.

Fla._Deadheader

I checked it out and appreciate the heads-up, Stumpy. Shipping puts it out of my reach.  ::) :) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Daren

I shot him an e-mail too just for kicks (he did respond fast), an off brand lathe and a "good supply" of cherry and walnut blanks. That is what I use for kindling. You can buy a nice machine and cutting tools for less that $200, I think. He is including a duplicator, I don't know what a little one costs, but a 40" with a 3" depth is $100. He has some finishing products. I am not a pen turner, but for what he had there is money better spent, IMO.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Daren

This post got me thinking about a mini lathe, so I bought one. I didn't need it for pens, but had wanted to try doll house furniture. I have 2 big lathes, they aren't near as much fun as the little one. I would suggest everyone needs a mini lathe, they are a ball. Here is a project from wood from the kindling box. A curly maple bowl setting on a walnut trestle table. (with a quarter for scale)

woodsteach

WOW! Daren that is small!  From what my eyes are able to see it looks like someone will have a very nice doll house!

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Daren

That little lathe "turned" out to be alot of fun, I can't quit playing with it even when I should be doing other things. The legs on the round maple table are a replica 1/12 of a table I saw in a ladies house, the picture doesn't show it but they are cool, finely turned. I have turned my fair share of bowls, I would have to say the timble size are alot better when they fly off the lathe and hit you in the head that an 8 lb chunk of wet sweet gum :D I made some of my own turning tools with the steel from a busted bandmill blade to help with the small stuff. To think, this wood came out of the kindling box beside the shop woodstove. Beats sawing ties and trying to make margins, and not as hard on the back for sure.

Tom

...............and in the right market they are worth big bucks.

Daren

Quote from: Tom on April 06, 2006, 10:51:02 PM
...............and in the right market they are worth big bucks.

I found that out. I stumbled across a webring for mini furniture builders and there was several things for sale WOW.  They are asking $50+ for little tables, one was $100. Their stuff is better constructed that mine though, they mortice and tenon 1/12 scale furniture... my stuff in the picture is just stuck together with some glue, I was just playing around 'cause it was POURING rain yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!