iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of pine tree??

Started by A-z farmer, August 14, 2020, 08:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A-z farmer

I saw this tree in our woods yesterday and it has branches and needles but they are above the canopy of the surrounding trees.
Thank you 

WDH

Most likely pinus resinosa, red pine.  Could also be pitch pine, pinus rigida.  Check the needles.  Red pines have needle bundles of two while pitch pine has needle bundles of three. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

A-z farmer

Thank you WDH
I cannot get to the top of the tree where the needles are but I did find another one like it and took a picture but it was 60 feet up .I might just cut one of them down this coming winter to get a better look at the needles and the trees insides.
It is just amazing learning about all the trees around us and their uses .My grandfather and father thought that the only good lumber to make came from white oak ,eastern white pine ,hemlock,and cherry,and all the rest were fire wood .

WDH

There should be some fallen needles that you can pick up off the the ground.  Although they will be dry and brown, there will still be that little fascicle sheath that holds the needles together at the bottom where the bundle is attached to the twig.  See if there are two needles to the fascicle bundle or three. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

A-z farmer

WDH
I found some needles around the base of the tree on the ground and also a pine cone but I am not sure it goes with the pitch pine tree.
My ancestors came to New York with the Palentine migration in 1709 to Germantown New York to cut trees for their pine pitch or tar but they found out it was not the right kind to use in sealing her majesty ships.We ended up being farmers like we were in Germany .
Thank you WDH for all your expertise on trees .

WDH

Three needles to the fascicle.  Sure looks like pitch pine. 

kantuckid

Pitch pine- is it the same as Field pine or black pine as grows here in KY as a pioneer tree?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WDH

Those common names must be local.  Field pine must mean that they are growing in a field? ???.  I have heard lobLLoly pine called "black pine" or "bull pine".  Those are not recognized common names.

The range map does show pitch pine growing naturally in Kentucky, and lobLLoly too, but only in the southern part of the state. 

Thank You Sponsors!