iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White ash?

Started by WhitePineJunky, July 24, 2023, 12:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhitePineJunky

This is white ash right? 

Ron Scott

Looks to be. Do you have a good picture of the bark to determine that it is not black or green ash. Also, soil type that it is on?
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Looks like white ash. I'm finding a few on my pre-commercial thinning block for Crabbe's sawmill, mixed with maple, beech, birch, ironwood, fir and red spruce.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: Ron Scott on July 25, 2023, 11:54:05 AM
Looks to be. Do you have a good picture of the bark to determine that it is not black or green ash. Also, soil type that it is on?

WhitePineJunky

beenthere

To my eye, that bark looks more green than white ash. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

White ash is a common tree around field edges, pastures and line fences in New Brunswick. Grows here like weeds. However, green ash is more common in southern New Brunswick. Green ash (also known as red ash) is very rare in NS. Green ash is typically a river bank tree in this region. Twigs of green ash are often minutely hairy (not always), white ash is not hairy. I think bud scars or bud morphology and twig surfaces (hairs) is where to differentiate the two. Also location in this instance, because of it's rarity (green). I've seen different soils change the look of the bark of some species up here. Several varieties of green ash have been named.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Due to the tree's size and ecosystem that it is located on, I agree with white ash. Any emerald ash bore there?
~Ron

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: Ron Scott on July 27, 2023, 06:42:55 PM
Due to the tree's size and ecosystem that it is located on, I agree with white ash. Any emerald ash bore there?
I didn't see no D shaped boring holes, but the insect made it to the province in 2018

SwampDonkey

Apparently emerald ash borer was found in NW New Brunswick in 2018. It's been found in Moncton, Oromocto and Fredericton since then. But I've not seen any around here and the ash still seem healthy. We have firewood restrictions in some counties of NB and NS, which I never heard tell of until very recent when I ran across a web page. So the public is not very informed by CFIA. Most folks buying wood for firewood don't use ash anyway. Maple and yellow birch is much higher demand.

That page
https://www.nbinvasives.ca/emerald-ash-borer

KEC

SD, why do folks not want ash firewood ?

SwampDonkey

Less BTU's per cord. I'd burn my own, but wouldn't buy it. In fact my wood is mostly aspen and fir for firewood, and I'm only 3 miles from my woods. I couldn't give that away for firewood in these parts. :D I've got thousands of ash trees. 

Thank You Sponsors!