iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Enclosed Trailers: Tips and tricks? Outfitting?

Started by Old Greenhorn, March 10, 2024, 06:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Sunday I put in a few more hours. I found out that there are two (or more) standards for 7 pin trailer plugs: SAE or RV. Messing around with color codes soon proved to be a waste. I knew I had the ground right, so I took off the other trailer side wires, turn on the left turn signal and tried the tried one wire at a time until they worked and I screwed that down, then did the right turn wire, then did the running lights. All good to go. Then I wrote it all down. Turned out it matched the 'RV Standard colors'.
 Then I went and finished the other inside corner with the flashing material. Lastly I consolidated tools, parts and cleared out junk, swept it then vacuumed up all the little Styrofoam chips (I HATE those) Also worked on the spare tire mount up. Next on the list is laying out the front wall shelves and trying to match that curve. I am also thinking about how I am going to wire all the extra doo-dads.
 Rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain, and other assorted goodies coming in for the next few days. Guess where I'll be. ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

Always good to have "rainy day work" to keep busy when you can't do outside work.
And when you build it yourself, you know how it was done, no cuttin' corners. :thumbsup:
(Except all that rounded part on the front of the trailer). :wink_2:
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

SawyerTed

Trailer lights are like women.  They are among the great mysteries of the world.  Except trailer lights aren't nearly as much fun!   smiley_furious3

Trailer lights are very simple wiring and nothing complicated but can be frustrating at times. 

They are among the things that have lots of time to contemplate how to break when not being used
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

Well I have to say that the break out box was a huge help with making it easier. Simple to switch terminals. Once I gave up on trying to crossmatch the colors codes based on the standards and just took one wire and tried it on each of the open terminals, it got easy. BUT I was working alone and the box is mounted inside the trailer near the floor. So I was down on my knees moving wires, then get up and out of the trailer and walk around to look. 'Nope, that ain't it', then go back in and repeat on the next terminal. Lots of up and down, in and out. But eventually I got it. Unlike Christmas lights, I don't have the option to throw the whole thing out and buy a new one. :wink_2:
 Res, there is ALWAYS something to do here. I thought I would be on the trailer all day, but now it seems I have to go load the truck and head an hour north to make a delivery. I'm trying to beat the rain as they have moved it forward by 6 hours now and increased the predicted amount. It STILL beat all heck out of sitting in a conference room. ffcheesy
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

Trailer lights are like women Ted, gotta keep them grounded.   ffwave ffcool :thumbsup: ffsmiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hedgerow

I have a habit good or bad on used trailers all the wiring and lights come out and all new goes in with lights and wiring you find in the big rig industry. Then I never work on those lights again. Just hookup and roll. 

Old Greenhorn

Well, I haven't dropped this project and I ain't finished it neither. ffcheesy I have lots of other things taking priority, but I make headway when I have some time (rain days). However, I am quite anxious to get this back on it's wheels, so to speak.
 So this week I built the shelf unit go on the front wall and painted it. That sits in the shop until I get the inside of the trailer re-painted. The walls are white, which I like, but they have a lot of scuffs and I just figured this is the only and right time to re-paint before I start bolting things in it. I also need to do the wiring before I put the trim work on/in. I also have to make that trim work.
 But I have ben doing little things, like thinking this wiring out. I ordered a digital panel mount voltmeter, ammeter and Reserve charge meter to mount in a box yet to be designed. I found some switches and terminal blocks I can use for that enclosure also. I bought a small 110v battery maintainer for when it's plugged in and off the truck hookup. Then I started working on the schematic sketches and realized I should have some USB charging outlets, so I ordered those today. Lastly, I had to get a new battery for the mule today, so I also got a deep cycle for the trailer. (That makes 3 batteries this week for about $500.00 wholesale, geez Louise!) SO I did something today anyway.
 I keep forgetting to get paint when I am in town, gotta do that soon. I can paint almost any dry day.

So yeah, I'm still working on it, but it's funny how 'clean it up a little' turns into all this work to get it right, or at least at a good string point. Some stuff I see and just can't let it go, I have to fix it. Show season is right at hand. I gotta get on the stick pretty quick, which means getting the log harvest season in the rearview mirror ASAP.

doc henderson

usb are 5 volts and you could get a cigarette lighter plug at any auto parts place and then plug in any 12 v accessories, including phone chargers, inverters etc.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Well, I am still working on this thing but I haven't made the progress I had hoped. Things are going embarrassingly slow. I can't say why, but there are a ton more little details that take time I didn't expect, and this is not going to look like a show piece, I just want it to look decent, so I am not being fussy. The wiring I thought would take a day is now going on parts of 3 days as I figure things out. It's not done yet. I still have to make the panel and box. But I did make the terminal busses and install them, also wired in the gages, the jury is still out on the reserve capacity meter. It gives me a voltage and I don't see two that helps. Also put on a combined amp and voltmeter. Installed 2 pairs of USB outlets. One on each side of the person door.
 I got some trim finished up and put just two pieces up. I think I am ready to install the brown front shelf during the next session. I also ran a wire for a backup light that this trailer lacks. I'll find the light and install it later, but the wire is there under the trim work. Not sure how much I will need it, but I think it's the proper way to do things. I am going to use a general spread LED fixture because I like to see what I am backing into.  :wink_2:
 The inside paint is also done, a nice blue color. $2.00/qt for 2 quarts of nice quality Behr paint was a great seal, so I took it and still have a little lees than a quart left. The battery is in and temporarily hooked up, the battery maintainer also. I am waiting for the shelf to go in before I pick a home for the battery. I bought a strap to keep it where I put it. ffcheesy
 My artwork arrived, I will put that on during  nice weather day. I also ordered some banners for shows that I can hang on the side of the trailer during the show, so I have to add some hanger points for those. I still have to do the wheels bearings, but I can put that off if I need to.
 Still a mess of work to do, but if I get the shelf unit in, clean up and close in the wiring, I can finally finish the trim work, then begin putting in side shelves (conventional brackets and install), setting up spots to strap in the usual tables and canopies and begin moving stuff in and figuring it out.
 Some things I've already learned: I am glad I went to a full 7 blade hook-up for the trailer. This gives me the 12v line to charge the battery as I drive and also the backup lights. If I ever add brakes, that wire is there also.

beenthere

Making progress. When is the first show to break out the "new" trailer? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Well tonight I signed on for a show on 4/27. We will see how it goes. Only a 20 minute drive but the organization seems a tad flaky. I'll call it a test run and be happy if I make table.

Old Greenhorn

Since the log harvest is pretty much done and the rain has moved on (for the moment) I was excited to have the day yesterday to work solely on the trailer (pretty much). Seems like I run to town for 'stuff' for this thing every other day, or more.
 The front shelf got put in sometime since Friday, painting is pretty much done (touch ups left yet) and I cleaned it out. Battery is tied down to the floor properly and that wiring is neatened up. I have yet to start working on the electrical panel, but that's not holding me up. Everything is wired and just hanging there.
 So, after cleanup yesterday the goal was to figure out how I am loading and securing everything. I started working on ideas while trying to keep as much of the floor open for last minute items and getting in and out.IMG_20240415_191815778.jpg

In the photo above, taken from the side door, you can see the front shelf on the right (mostly junk and tools now), then my 2 tables (just got the second one yesterday) is strapped to those, then the first bench is strapped to the wall and blanketed. After that going left are 4 more benches.  I put d-rings on the wall between the benches in a high an low row. On the floor is a foam pad to protect the bench, and I used 1" rigid Styrofoam against the wall as another pad. None of those benches are going anywhere, nor will the wiggle. They will survive a rollover nicely. It took me a while to figure this out and I have some stuff on order to makes things better/neater going forward. Eventually everything will be blanketed to minimize rubs, but for this test, I just did the one.
 On the other wall:

IMG_20240415_191748313.jpg

I have a larger curved bench and a coffee table next to it with a finished slab between the coffee table and the wall. All of this will be re-done and I would like to come up with a quicker method to attach and remove the straps, but for now, things are functional and secure.

I still have the more odd shaped stuff to figure out, but I didn't stop working until about 8pm last night and at that point my brain was slowing down. I think I may need another shelf on that door side wall, but I will have to look at the sizes of my stuff and think more on that.
 Today I may add a little artwork outside as a diversion and start working on the stuff I have left to fit in. I am saving the wall spaces by the rear door to strap in the two canopies in those corners and have to put those hooks up also. I can also strap some lighter stuff to the roof 'joists' saving more space.
 Progress is being made.

Resonator

The real test is the "shakedown" test, drive around with the load and see what rattles loose. Anytime I hauled loads that were tied down, I'd stop within a 1/2 hour of leaving and check and retighten as necessary. Only suggestion I'd consider is how heavy the bigger tables/benches are. For best stability the heaviest weight of the load should be low in the trailer balanced so the wheels each carry it.
Question is have you tried hauling fresh cut mushroom logs in your trailer? If you do I'm sure they'll take a lichen to it. :thumbsup:
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

Yes, I always check my loads after a few miles, it's just a habit, also re-check safety chains, hitch and lights.

Yes, I am planning on a balanced load, at least side to side, not so sure on front to back yet. That's why I am putting one canopy in each corner because the do have some weight. The benches not so much until you have a pile of them. Still working on figuring out the next larger pieces and placement.

I don't plan on hauling logs in this at any time that I can envision. This was my last load of Logs on Sunday:
IMG_20240414_132642463.jpg

It's a different 'thing'. ffcheesy

doc henderson

hey looks good.  I will throw this out cause that is what we do.  I like the strapping.  But... are you making it harder than it has to be for the bang.  If you begin making stuff dedicated to a show, and you want variety and to use what is at hand, you might make things that will nest.  along the lines of what Res. said, you could make 3 or 4 table that go face down on the floor table to tabletop in incrementally smaller sizes.  keeping the center of gravity low.  some fool may buy all 3 as a set.  then remake stuff to replace.  I worry you will still get some rub marks.  if the top table of say 4 in the stack is flat, then other stuff with padding can go on top.  there will be other things to strap to the wall.  we have cross ties at the ceiling of out trailer and long skinny things go up there like poles and such.  looking good.  Oh, love the color, whatever it is!  ffcheesy

Old Greenhorn

Yes, we are kind of on the same track Doc and I still have more that will go on the floor as you say. Yeah, tough to plan the nesting issue just yet. The stuff comes out by what the wood is, how it looks, and what I am making. Those curved ones will never play well with others. I will be moving stuff around today trying to figure out the puzzle. It's a perfect weather day for it.
 Back to work. :wink_2:

21incher

Wow, you even have purple mud down there 😀.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, in that photo it does look kind of purple, but I can assure you it is more black and brown. That's right at the edge of the chip yard and is A #1 first class growing soil right there. Thousands of tons of chips in that yard and it will swallow up a skidder if you are not careful. We used a dozer to drag that tree in there. I backed in with the trailer until my helper started waving his arms wildly, then I went another foot or two. :wink_2:

Hilltop366

Well that explains everything.....Must have your camera set on purple! ffsmiley

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

Looking good. I like the ratchet strap idea.

I transport mine with the tops facing each other with a moving blanket in between but you have a lot more time and higher quality finishes than I do so if one of mine gets scuffed it is not as hard to repair. I often even lay some unfinished ones face down on the floor because I am not worried about them. Then since they are all the same height/leg length, I put the next row on top with the legs between each other, put down my moving blankets then a row of benches on top face down and repeat if needed. I put small items like crates and birdhouses in the dead space between. Then I put a couple of straps across the tops of the benches and hold the whole load down.

I like the idea of driving the open trailer into a mudhole so the tires sink in 6-8 inches to the axle before loading. It must make it a lot lower and easier to reach over the sides to load those heavy mushroom logs.  ffcheesy I assume it may make it a little hard to get rolling but what do I know.  :huh?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with that dirt, There are a lot of minerals and decomp going and and it's very rich and mushy. Yes, though, ya got me, I was thinking about letting trailer sink down making loading easier for sure. Also note, the truck tires remain on good hardpack. There's about 3,300-4,000 pounds of logs on that trailer. I will look hard at that dirt next time I am back there.
 But I remained focused on the trailer today, gotta get this in a workable form quickly. I started before breakfast today, then broke for that and got back on it. I moved all the stuff remaining in my shed out to the trailer and looked and thought and move things here and there both in my head and physically. I undid the long row of benches and nest one bench in another opening up a spot, then took a bench from the passenger side and moved it to the driver's side. This allowed me to strap a table and a corner shelf to the floor on the passenger side. That corner shelf attracts a lot of interest, but nobody buys the doggone thing, it is a pain in the ash to pack anywhere. I hope it sells soon. I don't need too many 'ornaments' in my booth. I also managed to fit in the chair and a sewing machine table.
IMG_20240416_151205985_HDR.jpg

I have one more sewing table that is not finished, but almost. Don't know if I want to bring them both. But of note is that the center floor area is still pretty open. This was a question I was wondering about, how much more could I fit? So now I have to transition again tomorrow. I have real work to get done on products that are already owed, and I see that my 'booth dressings' are in need of replacing or sprucing up, such as signage and brochures. I would like to bang out a lower end bench or two if I can, those can strap tight down the center isle.
 I also added some decals to both sides to break up that heavy black look.
IMG_20240416_160910897_HDR.jpg
 I'll do the one on the back when I get time.
 I still need to get some more straps as I see how things fit, and some more d-rings for the ceiling which I haven't even used yet. It will take time to work through the trial and error. I wish I could find wall hooks that were only hooks and not d-rings, that would be a big time saver.
 Always more to do, but it's getting there and I have stopped worrying about it. I just have to put the two canopies in there but I have their spots saved and ready.

Hilltop366

That is going to be so much nicer that loading and unloading in the truck!

Old Greenhorn

Well yeah, for sure, that was one goal, but the main goal was not having to unload after one show and then load again for the next show. This saves me storing if the shop and shed and doing all that extra non-value-added work. It just stays in the trailer. At most I will probably loosen some straps while it is just sitting and waiting. It will be beyond a huge improvement in efficiency for me doing shows. I just have to find the bugs and work them out. Still not happy with my tie downs on the walls, they are time consuming.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

Looking better all the time I am sure everything will find its place, then a better place and as things sell something else will go in that place.

Now you need to find one of those urban graffiti experts to do a classy specialized, eye catching paint job on that trailer.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Well after my last update I spent an hour or more searching for hooks to replace those d-rings. I finally gave up. As I was getting into bed, still annoyed by my failure, I realized I could just cut a slot in the ones I have. The material will handle the load, which really isn't that great anyway.
 So I got out there early this morning and fired up my (yet unused) cutoff disc and made one up. It's very simple, should have thought of it sooner

.IMG_20240417_132027890.jpg

I didn't even have to try it to know it would do the job. Problem solved, but I had to go off on family stuff for several hours and I picked up more d-rings while we were out.
 When we got back I started removing all the d-rings in the center sections, cutting the slot, then putting them back. It took a couple of hours to re-rig it all. Still more fine tuning to do over time. I also nested in a few stools as was suggested. Everything is high and tight. I need to get more screws to hang more ring/hooks, but that's for another day. I also put the artwork on the back door before the rain came in and put on some reflective safety strips on the back too, feeling it was pretty dark and hard to see., but I have to transition back to shop work and make some product and other 'stuff'.
 It's coming down to small details now and none too soon.

Thank You Sponsors!