iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Killing Termites

Started by Coyote, September 30, 2012, 10:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

Howdy,

I have some old white oak boards that I found in my family scrap pile. Apparently my dad found them on an oilfield location 10 or 15 years ago years ago. They are 2.5" by 5.5" by 10' long. They have been in the weather  since then but aside from needing a good planing they are in good shape. I did, however, find some minor termite damage and a few termites in one of the boards. Is there an effective way that yall have found to make sure to rid old lumber of termites before it gets recycled into new furniture? I plan to use the lumber to make a workbench.

Ianab

My understanding is that termites nest in the ground, and build mud tunnels up to find wood to eat. They don't actually nest and breed in the wood. The queen and eggs stay in the nest

Now powder post beetles, that's different. They actually live in the wood until they hatch out, then re-infest the wood with new eggs.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tree Feller

Ian is right. If the termites can't get to moisture they will die.

However, just about anything will kill them. Spray them with Raid if you're concerned.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Coyote

Cool! This may be easier than I thought.

Thanks Ian and Tree Feller!!

Sparky

Raider Bill

Do you have dry wood termites there? They don't have to return to the soil.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Coyote

Well I'm not sure if we have dry wood termites here. But I did find mud tubes from the ground up to the boards, so I'm guessing they are subterranean termites in this particular case. (I hope)

Thank You Sponsors!