iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plans?

Started by Satamax, April 12, 2012, 05:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Well, I will need in the near future, to draw plans. I'm just under 40, and I've learnt the old fashion way, rotring and drafting table.  Thought, i don't have room for one in my workshop nor flat.

I've seen a few notes of sketchup.  Is it possible to make plans with that? Any other suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Jim_Rogers

I have not used sketchup to product printed pages.

But I believe you can.

Maybe someone else will tell you how to do it. I personally don't know how.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

AMB30518

Hi Max
Yes you can draw a timber frame structure in sketchup and make shop drawings of individual pieces, with specs & dimensions. You will need the "TF Rubies" for the shop drawings, which is an add-on feature that you can get from northernlightstimberframing.com. It is from Clark Bremer and he also has some youtube videos on how to use some of the TF Rubies features.
I did 2 structures, a storage shed I rebuilt on an existing foundation and a R-V carport from scratch. The carport/polebarn I did with sketchup is in the drawings section. And thanks to Jim Rogers for posting it for me..... maybe he will tell me how he did it so I don't have to bother him next time???
I am no expert at sketchup or timber framing and still learning both. I downloaded sketchup and had my storage shed drawn in 3-4 months, many hours of learning from the tutorials and youtube. It is a heck of a program to be a freebie.
I hope this helps some and perhaps others will also give you some info too.
I did some chainsaw milling, learning sketchup & timber framing for home projects but not an expert..... I learn as I go and go as I learn.

Aaron

jander3

Max,

Sketchup works fine for plans.   As stated above you need Timber Frame Rubies.  Once you understand sketchup and rubies, you can make a 3D plan and then produce shop drawings.  Examples are below. 

http://sketchup.google.com/#utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-google&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=SketchUp

http://www.northernlightstimberframing.com/su/

Also the TF Guild has a TF sketchup Manual the covers rubies

http://tfguild.stores.yahoo.net/tifrdeusgosk.html

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys!

Jander3, ye'r ace! Many thanks.  I asked the same question on the four wheeler forum i hang about usualy, in the bar section, and two of the professional architects there, told me to go to an architect for my plans! No way! I don't trust them!
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

Am i getting the hang of it?

Huh, daft question, can i use the link below to show this sketchup rendering onto another forum?

Thanks.

Max

AMB30518

Looks to me like you are making good progress with sketchup.
I did some chainsaw milling, learning sketchup & timber framing for home projects but not an expert..... I learn as I go and go as I learn.

Aaron

Satamax

You'd see where i' am now :D

Well, anyway, it's just to make exterior views for a future building permit. For the moment, i'm trying to rush it to show it to some guy from the town council, to see if it's all right with the zone's code. It's for an artisanal estate.  My future workshop i hope.

Satamax

Hersa few screen shots of what i did today. Well i'm stuck as it seems that i can't make the openings for the french windows on the terrace side, nor the openings for the back windows or the veluxes. Dunno why!

Satamax

Brian_Weekley

Satamax,

Your entire building seems to be missing braces in one direction.  Don't know if that's intentional or an omission, but the structure wouldn't be very stable without them.

BW
e aho laula

Satamax

Thanks a lot Brian.

I know. This is just presentation views for the town council  to look at and say, yes we like it or not.  I've ommited the bracing out of sheer laziness. Took me a while to do this in sketchup. Thought i can always add some now.

:D

Thank You Sponsors!