iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Every once is a while a YouTube video gets your attention....This one got mine.

Started by weimedog, January 30, 2017, 11:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

sawguy21

That skidder looks like a bit of an antique. ;D Actually, I was waiting for the bucker to amputate his foot.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

weimedog

Yea...but what a world, looks like logging heaven right there! And so COLD! Alaska cold...antique or not, it would be cool to have that here on the farm..of course then the concept of putting a cummins four cylinder in it.....
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Thanks for sharing weimedog.
Cold just like here in northern Manitoba. 40 below in the shelter of the bush with no wind for a month straight at a time . Easy on the man as he can dress for it, but a little harder on the equipment.

Those Russians probably have a few daily shots of vodka to keep limber working on that landing :D
Stihl sold alot of saws to the Russians, probably more then any where else.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Hilltop366

I did not see any name brand or model number on the saw, just wondering why.

Perhaps after market plastic parts, I did notice a chunk broken out of the top cover.

weimedog

My bet that saw has a tough life...probably will see many skins....;)

Albert Beerstein

That is a chinese copy stihl I'm sure. no elastostart handle, orange centre oil fill plug,no "stihl"cast into starter housing?

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 30, 2017, 12:10:51 PM
That skidder looks like a bit of an antique. ;D Actually, I was waiting for the bucker to amputate his foot.
sawguy21, you don't know your Canadian history.  ;D
That's an old Nodwell track machine.
I had to watch the video again then I recognized it was a Nodwell.

We never skidded wood with them but we used them at our logging camp as a man carrier and to haul fuel into some of our swampy cut blocks.

Bruce Nodwell from Saskatchewan invented the machine for the Alberta Canadian oil industry in the early 1950's.
There's a mountain in Antarctica named after him as his machines have been on the south pole since 1960.

Read his Wikipedia attachment.  It said one of his greatest success stories was selling to the USSR and Russia market.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Nodwell

https://youtu.be/DotV3yMfIpA

chet

I put many hours on Nodwells and Go Tracs working utility R/Ws. One thing I will say is,  you never want to git one stuck.   :-\
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

HolmenTree

Yep very true :D
But I never seen one stuck. Some of them with the  full belly pan and box are almost amphibious with a good operator.

HolmenTree

HolmenTree

HolmenTree

Quote from: Albert Beerstein on January 30, 2017, 04:06:02 PM
That is a chinese copy stihl I'm sure. no elastostart handle, orange centre oil fill plug,no "stihl"cast into starter housing?
Yep that 660 definitely has non OEM parts.  Just the way the world is today and has been for decades. One time Taiwan was a big supplier of aftermarket chainsaw parts.

Alot of new OEM Stihl saws are delivered around the world but how they are maintained,  that's  another story.

chet

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 30, 2017, 11:29:28 PM
Yep very true :D
But I never seen one stuck. Some of them with the  full belly pan and box are almost amphibious with a good operator.

Key words, "almost amphibious"   :D :D :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Spike60

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

sawguy21

Willard, I have certainly seen Nodwells but I'm not old enough to recognize that as one. Just sayin' ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JB Husky

I, on the other hand, have just seen but first Nodwell. I'm definitely down with anything that has tracks and a Detroit.
455 Rancher
562 xP
Stihl 460
Echo 750 EVL
Antique Brave splitter

weimedog

Loved video number two! I sold my cows in the late fall, and can tell you there was a couple I would have loved to strap a few logs too! They are most likely "McCows" now....:)

HolmenTree

Fokke, very nice videos especially the team of oxen skidding those logs.
My great Grandfather Anderson farmed with oxen and my Grandfather Anderson farmed with oil pull tractors replacing the oxen.
But total respect was given to the oxen for their power, reliability. and easy maintenance.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I've said it for years - it seems that the people with the least amount of money are the ones who beat on their stuff the most.  Around here it's the scummy crowd, driving the biggest pieces of crap ever.  Beating the heck out of them.  It's no wonder they never have anything nice - they're always having to buy other vehicles.  I see lots of videos from across the pond of folks beating on their stuff exactly the same. 

I was very poor in my past life.  Now I'm just slightly poor.  I never beat the crap out of my stuff.  I run it how it's meant to be run, but never beat on it because it took me so long to get what I've got.  If I can do it, so can anyone!

Does anyone have an explanation as to why these types of folks do this to themselves?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Fokke

Well woodcutters here are traditionally the toughest meanest badest people around and they have to keep the reputation at any cost. Combine that with a strong dose of alcohol and you have the video as a result

Tho I also know people that would hire a chainsaw operator and make them clear the brush around the road all day rather than have scratches on their skidder

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!