iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Intake and Exaust Vent Instillation Question

Started by Ga_Boy, August 21, 2005, 05:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

I'm just about ready to cut the vent holes in my kiln chamber, which is a 20' insulated sea container.

The exterior is Aluminum with about 4" of foam insulation, the interior is stainless steel.

Now, here is my question.  When cutting the holes for the fan and exhaust vent, should I install a header to bridge the opening? 

I have assumed I will cut through some of the structural studs in the wall of the container.

Anybody got any suggestions on this one?

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Dan_Shade

Hey Mark,

are there studs in there?  are they wood, or those metal reinforcement ones?  I think I'd certainly do something, easier to do it and avoid a problem than wish you had later.

It may not make much difference, but it could help the wall with wind loading and such.

Dan
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

GaS

I was wondering how you were doing on the project!

The fan didn't vibrate too much that I noticed, but over time you never know.  Reinforcing it isn't a bad idea if you have material handy.  Having not seen a cut-open sea container, I can't say for sure, but I imagine they are extremely well-built pieces of equipment.  Translation: you probably don't need to but overkill doesn't hurt :)

G

Den Socling

I'd add headers to keep moisture from getting between the two skins even if they weren't needed for structural integrity.

Thank You Sponsors!