iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A nice door was long over due!

Started by firefighter ontheside, April 01, 2023, 09:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I built the house 22 years ago and used some cheap $15 luaun doors upstairs in our bedroom.  About 10 years ago I replaced the bedroom door with a couple 18" 3 panel doors I got at habitat for humanity.  Several years ago I bought a rail and stile bit set for making passage doors.  I saved some American elm that I milled and dried and used some Tulip poplar that I milled and dried recently.  The elm was used for the rails and stiles and the poplar for the raised panels.  Each side of panels came from a board and so the grain is continuous up and down.  I finished with rattle cans of Helmsman spar varnish to try and preserve the color the way it is.  I chose poplar with lots of character including epicormic sprouts.  I'm very happy with this door.  Almost as happy as I am with the floor that's in front of it and the rocking chair is to the left.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Man that door is freakin' gorgeous! Holy cow, you SHOULD like that. Beautiful job Bill!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

kelLOGg

Jaw dropping nice! Beautiful surroundings. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

doc henderson

fantastic!  Glad your family likes wood!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Clobbers kids always go bare footed.
Looks good!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen1

I think I would sit myself down in that rocking chair and never leave! beautiful!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

firefighter ontheside

Thanks guys.
That's a good analogy cfarm.  
Doc, Cindy has a love hate relationship with wood.  She appreciates it, but doesn't want every surface in the house to be wood.  That bedroom has one wall that is drywall and painted blue.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

maineshops

Beautiful work. I'm in the process of lining a store room off Ma's sewing room. Balsam Poole and balsam fr floor. Fun wood to work with. Your color matching is striking. Thanks for sharing. Dan
Phil:4, 13

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Larry

Very unique and interesting door.  Great work!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Nice door. Glad you could tame that elm from wanting to twist when drying. Just call them knots poplar freckles. ;)  Nothing wrong with that door at all. :)

Love that rocker. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

~Ron

kelLOGg

I love the floor too. What species did you use?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

firefighter ontheside

Thanks.  There are 14 species in my floor and I will try to name them all.  I love my floor.

Red oak
white oak
walnut
black cherry
jatoba
american elm
red elm
tulip poplar
soft maple
mulberry
sweet gum
persimmon
2 others I can't think of
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

69bronco

Well done! That Maloof rocker aint nothing to shake a stick at either!

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Nebraska

Broncman

I have been slowly replacing our bifolding doors in our log house with standard doors I have made. 

That door is awesome! I love it. I also like the Maloof chair. If I ever win the lottery,  I will have one of his pieces he made.

Working on doing a maloof inspired bench .
Frontier OS31 bandsaw mill
Dehumidifier Kiln with sanitize heat,
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

doc henderson

Bill it all looks great.  I am unfamiliar with "Maloof".  Is it inspired by design, and or is there a pattern?  very nice and substantial.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

doc, better brew a pot of coffee after you google Maloof.  :o
It's a rabbit hole!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

Maloof is surrounded with my wood.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

btulloh

He lived pretty close to you if I recall. You made his casket?
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!