iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmaster 718 with drum sander

Started by BeeBazaar, June 19, 2023, 12:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeeBazaar

Ive been looking for a drum sander.  I was looking at open end style as you can run halves thru it.  Today I looked at an add I have passed on because it isn't open end.  It was a woodmaster 718. I had seen woodmaster before but it didn't dawn on my until I googled the machine it was a multi use machine.  The guy is asking $1000 for it, which isn't too far off from a lot of the drum sanders.  Are the woodmasters worth it?  How difficult it it to switch from drum sander to planer?  or gang rip?   and what exactly is gang rip?  just multiple cuts at the same time?  i don't know if it would be foolish to pass on it or not.   I really do like the moulding options though, but i think a lot of it could be done with a shaper too?

GAB

BB:
What else comes with it?
I bought one with the 3 blade planer head, the sanding drum, The gang rip shaft and saw blades, and misc. other options.
I have used it only for planing and it does a good job for what I need.
As an FYI the max thickness of wood that can be ran through it planing is approx 6".
Again, for your information when facing the infeed side of the machine the bolt that holds the planer head, and I assume the sanding drum, has a LEFT HAND threaded bolt.
You could call Woodmaster and ask the price of what this seller is offering and make a decision based on that info.
Good Luck,
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

wildtmpckjzg

Quote from: GAB on June 19, 2023, 08:28:12 PM
BB:
What else comes with it?
I bought one with the 3 blade planer head, the sanding drum, The gang rip shaft and saw blades, and misc. other options.
I have used it only for planing and it does a good job for what I need.
As an FYI the max thickness of wood that can be ran through it planing is approx 6".
Again, for your information when facing the infeed side of the machine the bolt that holds the planer head, and I assume the sanding drum, has a LEFT HAND threaded bolt.
You could call Woodmaster and ask the price of what this seller is offering and make a decision based on that info.
Good Luck,
GAB
I own a 718 and use it exclusively as a molder. I bought it expecting to switch back and forth between sander and molder but I had very poor luck with the drum sander. My problem had to do with inconsistent feed. A drum sander or even a wide belt sander will sand deeper the longer it remains on a spot. When the work piece stalls or slows down the result is peaks and valleys. The 718 feeds like a planer with top mounted infeed and outfeed tables. As you know, most planers have metal feed rollers, the infeel roller being serrated for positive feed. The 718 feeds with rubber rollers. The sanding dust concrete staining boston, even with a strong dust collector, gets on the rollers and causes them to slip. Woodmaster also makes a dedicated drum sander. I don't own one but it feeds from the bottom with a feed belt, a much better system. I have read good reviews.
I'm thinking about a woodmaster 718 or 725, but leaning toward a 718. I was wondering if anyone has used the Drum sander attachment to make veneers. I periodically make bent wood laminations, and need to go down to 3/32 or even 1/16th. Is that possible with the 718 or 725?

Thank You Sponsors!