iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmaster 25" with the Helical Head

Started by Geeg, September 13, 2023, 07:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeg

Was wondering if any members are running this machine in their shop?, If so do they have a stripe issue with planed boards?.

I have replaced the bearing blocks and the tapered shafts and am still getting the same results in the finish. I can sand out the ridges with a sander on soft material but it is quite difficult to get the ridges out of hardwood.

The pictures shows lines approx 7/8" that run parallel to each other.

Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Larry

Looks like a insert problem to me.  Check first for chips on the inserts.  If that's not the solution I would remove all the inserts, clean them and the head with lacquer thinner, and reinstall torqued properly.

A long shot, I would check your outfeed roller to make sure no problem there.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

GAB

@Geeg:
You wrote "lines approx 7/8" that run parallel to each other"
Does your unit have variable speed?  If so does it occur at all speeds?  If not then not the cutter head.
What is the diameter of the out feed roller?  Is the circumference divided by 7/8 come out to an even number?
If yes I would be looking at that part closely.
Hope this helps.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

beenthere

Check the pressure of the feed roller, and do the marks match the feed roller ridges?  Too much pressure could compress the wood and after surfacing of knives, swell up to cause the wood to have ridges that you have to sand off. Very similar to chips being pressed into the wood that result in high spots after planing.

I've made an assumption, but would like to confirm if these ridges or lines are parallel to the direction of board travel or parallel to the head?  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Poquo

Do what Larry said ,looks like insert problem. Mine cuts real smooth, just rotated inserts today. I had some small wear spots on the inserts leaving some small ridges , rotating to new edge fixed it. I soaked the inserts and screws in denatured alcohol to cut the build up . 
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Geeg

The knifes were just replaced and the head was cleaned and each screw was torqued to the proper ft/lb. I will try some of the other suggestions and make another post as soon as I get more intel. 

Thanks for the input.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Geeg

Quote from: GAB on September 13, 2023, 10:43:11 AM
@Geeg:
You wrote "lines approx 7/8" that run parallel to each other"
Does your unit have variable speed?  If so does it occur at all speeds?  If not then not the cutter head.
What is the diameter of the out feed roller?  Is the circumference divided by 7/8 come out to an even number?
If yes I would be looking at that part closely.
Hope this helps.
GAB
Looks like Gab might be right, it may be the cutter head, does not matter if run slow or fast, I still got the same results. I also pulled some old cutoff's out when I got the planer and the lines are on them as well. I had mentioned this to Woodmaster back in the day but they said it was probably the blades needed changing. I didn't use it much until recently and found that the boards going through it need a lot of sanding.

teakwood

These are cutter marks. several inserts weren't cleaned enough and have some dirt, dust underneath them and are now a little bit higher than others.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Geeg

Quote from: teakwood on September 18, 2023, 08:06:12 AM
These are cutter marks. several inserts weren't cleaned enough and have some dirt, dust underneath them and are now a little bit higher than others.
The lines are 7/8" of an inch apart on all the lines and they go all across the 25" of the cutter head. 

beenthere

So lines are parallel to the head.

Can you post a pic of the drive rollers?  Are they rubber rollers? or fluted ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

teakwood

Quote from: Geeg on September 18, 2023, 08:36:29 AM
Quote from: teakwood on September 18, 2023, 08:06:12 AM
The lines are 7/8" of an inch apart on all the lines and they go all across the 25" of the cutter head.
Then it's probably the push bar after the cutterhead.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!