iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will end grain cutting boards tend to split?

Started by Brad_bb, September 20, 2023, 09:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Will end grain cutting boards tend to split?  Like if they fall over when leaned up to dry, or fall off the counter?  I'm thinking through the end grain because it's the weakest direction, not the glue joint.  Is something done to prevent this like banding the perimeter with grain 90° to the end grain?  Or molding the bottom of the board in a thin pour of epoxy?  I'm assuming the cutting board is 1-1.25" thickness.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ianab

Simple answer, yes. Simply because of the grain orientation. they will tend to be fragile. Think of it the same as a 1-2" Cookie cut from a log. It's pretty weak compared to a long grain board. Drop it on the floor and there is a good chance it will break. 

Putting a long grain border around it is not a good plan, it's almost certain to crack due to seasonal movement. Traditional end grain butcher's blocks are made thick, 6" or more, so there is some strength in the wood to resist splitting. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

firefighter ontheside

They are more likely to crack if dropped yes.  Make them thicker than you would a long grain board of the same size.  If you keep them oiled and dont put them in the dishwasher they don't tend to just crack while sitting there.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tom K

Depending on what species you plan on using a coat or two of a good penetrating epoxy would help strengthen the grain some, if you can get it to soak in.

Sparty

Here are two end grain cutting boards used heavily for 10 years. I made them about 1" thick. There are no cracks and I dropped them plenty of times. The key is keeping them oiled. Most people let them dry out and start cracking.

Thank You Sponsors!