iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee

Started by isawlogs, November 01, 2007, 08:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave7191

I had to laugh at Tom post  Because i was thinking that the only time i could think of ever diluting my coffee was mid watch and that is even stronger than normal navy coffee  a few cups of Cajun coffee  otherwise straight up and hot and fairly strong

customsawyer

Being a vet I drink it strait up. Kind of like cowboy coffee, through a horse shoe in it when she foats its ready. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

LeeB

Used to drink it by the gallon, but only every once in a while now. Mostly when it's cold out. I like it black and strong and thru a perculator. I buy beans and grind it myself. The best coffee is river coffee. The kind you boil in an old pot on the fire and drink it through your teeth to strain out the grounds and the bugs from the river water :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Slabs

Maybe me n' DanG need to make an odyssey down and have a cup (pot+) with Harold.  I was in Panama in 86' with the reserves and got introduced to "Central" American coffee, namely Cello Dorado.  I found it more tasty than the Columbian brands so popular in the comissary.

Mine always comes as from the pot.  No "adjuncts" (as they say in beer brewing).  Needless to say many of my coffee drinking habits come from the Army but I wish I 'd had an oppurtunity to enjoy more Navy coffee.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

hiya

I learned to drink coffee in Central America.Hot coffee or warm coke.
Put a little milk in mine. Grew up on a farm, milk makes anything better ::).
My coffee maker is a 12 cup, Saturdays when I'm home, even when it's in the 90's, usually make 2 pots.
Richard
RichardinMd.

sawdust

Reg coffee ONE drop of cream.
Occasionally I make Arab coffee, it is flavored with some Cardamon ground into it. Boiled in a sauce pan and served sweet. sort of like dessert.
Nice as a treat I would not want it daily.

Grew up in a Danish family,,, drink it strong, drink it often!
Nowadays I need to take my pantaloc first.  :'(

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

SwampDonkey

I drink Costa Rican medium roast. A spoonful of sugar and a drop of cereal cream or milk. Not much of a cream user, prefer milk. This is only 10 % MF and regular milk is 3.5% so no biggie. I also add a dash of salt to the percolator. I usually go for 3 cups, but maybe drink only half of those cup fulls. I can go without it. It's just one of them things that go good with a slice of corn bread or a muffin. ;D

I don't visit the coffee houses at all. They serve the most expensive coffee by the tablespoon I ever saw.  ::)

You do know that Tim Hortons and the likes put additives in the coffee don't you? To enhance your craving of course.

I never use any of those plastic perk machines, I have a stainless steel perk.

When we were hunting and fishing, you'd just boil your water in a lard kettle and add the coffee. We used a piece of hey wire for a handle and held the bottom rim as well for pouring. Most of the time we boiled tea.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

I recently had a cup of turkish coffee, it was in a teeney little cup, very strong and sweet. It had abut an eighth of an inch of mud in the bottom of it and it felt like I had 4 cups of coffee.
Probably not legal in the states ;)

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sawguy21

I remember being served that coffee in the tiny cup. I thought that odd until I drank it. That stuff is strong and certainly has a kick. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

brdmkr

This morning was a pot of my own French Roast blend.  Roasted by myself on Tuesday evening.  I aim to roast up a batchh of Kenya AA tomorrow for next week.  I build my own roaster (I REALLY LIKE COFFEE), that lets me roast about 3 lbs at a time.  I could likely roast up to 5 lbs at a time, but I don't have that kind of outlet.  I like the Costa Rican too, but I tend to favor the African and Indonesian coffees as they seem to take a little darker roast.

I don't put anything in it, but I don't knock them that do!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Grawulf

Well, I'll probably be labeled the "wimpy man" here........... ::)  I drink espresso..
expresso - however you spell it. Eight O'clock coffee with a dash of southern pecan creamer. OOHHHH - startin' the day right. Recently had a birthday and youngest son came up with six packs of Boca Java. Maple Bacon Morning caught my ear as they have been advertising it. My son loves me........... 8) 8)

Slabs

Waaal now DanG

Maybe we better go up and tip a pot with brdmkr.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Ed_K

Folgers red jar  ;D.but I'll drink any kind if its cheap  :). I stoped at a java hut once and ordered a regular coffee when they brought it to the window they said $4.50 please I drove off  :o .
Ed K

brdmkr

Quote from: Slabs on November 02, 2007, 07:46:26 PM
Waaal now DanG

Come on!  Happy to share a pot with my friends!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

So, now you're brewed maker too, eh?

DanG

Quote from: Slabs on November 02, 2007, 07:46:26 PM
Waaal now DanG

Waaal now Slabbsey-Wabbsey, I'll take ya up on that!  Just drag yer carcass over here tomorrow and we'll invade Brewed-Maker's territory.  I'm gonna call his hand on that "that kind of outlet" remark, too! I'm pretty sure my outlet will handle that other 2 pounds. ;D  I gotta go up there soon anyway.  I picked up them bar clamps for him at Harbor Freight and he paid me for'em at Moultrie, but they're still ridin' around in my van. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

brdmkr

Got to work in the morning, but will be there in the PM.  You want me to call when I get there?

DanG

Yeah, give me a call, Mike.  I don't know if I can shake loose from here, but I'll know by then. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I have a pot of coffee here next to the computer but decided I wanted some ice cream.  I went to the freezer to see if we had some and, lo and behold, we did.   I opened it to find that it was Neapolitan.  I think that is what it is called when they put vanilla, strawberry and chocolate all in the same container.   Gael doesn't like strawberry and the vanilla and chocolate on each side was missing almost down to the bottom.  The strawberry wasn't touched.  Heck!  I didn't even know we had ice cream.

Not being too terribly particular, I spooned out the strawberry into a coffee cup and returned to the computer where I was eating it and eyeing the coffee pot at the same time.   Finally, I was down to about a tablespoon and a half of ice cream and couldn't stand it any longer.  I poured the cup full of hot coffee, making myself a Strawberry/coffee something or other.    The coffee was cooled almost immediately and I began drinking it and nibbling on the ice cream.  It wasn't very good, so I gulped the coffee down and ate the what was left of the strawberry ice cream.  I know some of you like flavored coffee.  I don't.  But even if you do, don't try this.  Not being a flavored coffee connoisseur, I can't tell you that it isn't a  gourmet treat, but I can tell you that I don't like it.  :-\   :D

DanG

That was a successful experiment.  You had a question, you sought an answer, and you got one! 8) 8) 8)

Did ya ask Gael why she bought Neopolitan if she don't like strawberry?  Enquiring minds want to know. ;D

solodan

I drink coffee everyday, at all hours of the day. I never put anything in good ole brewed coffee, just coffee. I prefer the taste of a darker roast such as Italian, but I really need the higher caffeine of the lighter roast to start the day. Yes, lighter roast has more caffeine. :) I arrive at the SugarShack at about 6:20am where my oldest daughter gets on the school bus. I usually start with a Cappuccino. :) I prefer little milk, mostly just foam on top to hold the heat of the esspresso in. I like to take my time with my first cup, and an espresso looses its heat too quickly for this. It also needs to be served in a traditional porcelain cup, which has far better heat retention characteristics than glass or paper. After my daughter gets on the bus, I switch to a fresh black cup of Guatamalan Hue Hue :). I catch up on all the morning gossip, and then I get a cup of Italian in a paper to go cup, to bring with me while I drop my youngest off, and then to the mill yard :). I usually go back for lunch around 11:30 have some lemonade and then get a 1/2 cup of Italian to go :). Sometimes I have another in the afternoon :), and in the late afternoon early evening I go in and get an espresso. :)  or Espresso Con Panna :) This is an invitation  to all of the FF members. Come on out to the Sierra Nevada and I'll buy you a great cup of coffee.  8) I even pull a great espresso.  The place is owned by my wife and myself, but she rarely lets me in the kitchen :DAliciassugarshack.com

brdmkr

Tom,  I wish you would have given me a yell.  I'd have told you that would NOT be good.  Of course, I'm getting a pretty big kick out of it :D  I bet that was pure nasty.

Solodan,  If I am ever out your way, I'll look you up.  It sounds like you know where to get the good stuff.  You hit it right on the head regarding the caffeine content and the roast.  All things being equal, darker roast have less caffeine.  However, this can be offset some by using different coffees (different origins).  Trouble is, the really high caffeine beans aren't very good (my opinion).

tcsmpsi

At the shop, I use a Starbucks Sumatra or French Roast mix (which I buy from Staples when it's on sale in large quantities)  with Folgers Columbian.  At the house we use Community New Orleans Blend mixed with the Columbian (my wife likes the chickory).  So, in the morning when I leave the house, I fill up my travel mug with that, go open the shop, get things up and going, take the children to school around 6:30 (having about finished my travel mug by that time) and usually go stop by Valero (that opens at 6am) afterwards and fill my mug with fresh  Kenya, and perhaps get to hug my wife.   ;D

This morning, I'm filling my mug with Kenya and notice new, little containers of Caffine booster (with a warning not to use more than 2 a day).  I tried one of those in my Kenya.  Not bad, but I think in a travel mug, probably have to use at least 2.   ;D

Hmmmm....I've not tried strawberry ice cream in my coffee, Tom.  Chocolate and vanillar bean is pretty good, every now and then. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

sawguy21

Caffeine booster :o Yikes, that is all I need :D After having several cups of coffee one morning, I chowed down a chocolate coated coffee bean. A half hour later, I was like Elmer Fudd on helium, what a buzz. The crash was ugly though, was fighting to keep my eyes open.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bro. Noble

Well,  you guys can look down your nose at me for using instant coffee if you want to.  If you had some instant handy, Tom, you could have sprinkled some in dry form over your ice cream and you would have had a real treat ;D  I also like to put a little in my chili 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!