iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first time milling yesterday

Started by twoodward15, June 08, 2005, 10:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoodward15

Yesterday afternoon I had the chance to mill some lumber.  I met with my sawyer friend at his mill and got to move some logs around by hand  (pushing the logrite cant hooks while using his inferior wooden handle 1920's jobs) and be the off bearer.  The first was a 14 foot red oak log about 24 inches.  We made a cant and had it cut up in about 30 minutes ( I think, my how time flies when you are having fun), sawing for grade.  The next was a big ugly looking walnut.  2 nails and an eyebolt (only one blade change) later we had it all cut up.  It was 2 sections one about 8 foot and the other was about 6.  Cut all 5/4 on the first and 8/4 on the second.  I ran the mill on the first walnut log.  I can't believe how addicting it is, but I'm wondering how you guys do it.  we were doing it in the heat of the afternnon and the sweat was running.  The wind was in our favor though, carrying the sawdust away.  Now all I want to do is make lumber, but I guess I need my own mill first.  Lots of work muscling the lumber around too.  I had a blast.  Now I understand hte feeling you get from it, too bad it only lasted 4 hours.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

MULE_MAN

Mill for 10 to 12 hour's by yourself & off bear too see how you feel then ,   
after you take some aspirin for pain ,  ::)  you'll sleep real well !  :D  :D  ;D
It's not no cake walk, but I enjoy it  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

twoodward15

My thoughts exactly.  It was a nice beginner though!!!!  Sure does make you want a mill real bad.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Kirk_Allen

You hit the nail on the head MM.

Most of the time I mill by myself and I try to shoot for about 150-200 bf an hour by myself.  If the trailer is set up and logs are all ready its not hard.  Once I have a cant I leave the first board on the cant then while the second board is cutting I drag the first board off and let the mill go on its own. 

Lots of little tricks to keep productive when your by yourself. 

mike_van

After sawing, the smell of fresh sawdust/lumber hangs around our place for days - Better than any air freshner you can buy!
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Swede

QuoteMill for 10 to 12 hour's by yourself & off bear too................

I know about that, MULE_MAN.  2:nd evening is the worst after some weeks not sawing. Then I haul my arms in the gravel when coming home. ;D ;D  :D
Best way to get away from pain is to saw 10 hours 5 days a week. It hurts but you get used.  :)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!