iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought a L150 nyle kiln

Started by Schramm, February 11, 2013, 05:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schramm

Well I was going to have another company do all my kiln drying and heating up of my reclaimed wood but today out of dumb luck I found a L 150 nyle kiln (compressor with 2 fans) and picked it up for $800.  Nyle sent me a scamatic on how to build a chamber and I will probably do that next week.  Nyle also told me that the heat rating on that was 125-130 degrees but told me that by turning off the compressor I can get it up to 160 with no problem.  I am only planning on doing 300-500 bf at a time so it should be great. 

If anyone hear owns one I would love to see a pick of the chamber you built for it.  Also any advise would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Rob

red oaks lumber

was the unit running when you looked at it? if everything works hey great :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Schramm

Yes the unit was running and he has it running right now as it is still at his place as I am not actually picking it up until Saturday.  I guess in my first post I said "picked it up" but actually I went and looked at it, paid a deposit on it and he was running it to test it.  Is there some reason I should think that it wouldnt work?  The guy from Nyle said that there isnt very many things that go wrong with them and they do still sell all parts for it.

If there is something I should look at when I go up there let me know and I will check it out closer.

Rob

Den Socling

I know that there is a lot of DH kilns running reliably out there. But we used to service a commercial operation that had 8 DH kilns. Seemed like they always had one down with compressor problems.

red oaks lumber

every one of my nyle kilns has a new or two compressors in them :)

Schramm

I do so much appreciate this site more and more each day as the information here is so great!  I would like to know of any other issues you have had with the Nyle kilns.  Is it just a compressor issue and if so what does a new compressor cost?  I am only paying $800 (maybe less now) and if the compressor is not too expensive I may still take it as a new one cost $3500 which if the compressors are expensive I think that I will just buy a new one.  I will say that without a purchase from Nyle, they went out of there way to help me with brochures and schismatics for the chamber.

Let me know and again thank you for your time and info!
Rob

red oaks lumber

the last compressor was a 3 hp cost $ 2600 installed. the biggest things to look for are the capulary tubes( copper) that go from the condensor to the compressor or vis versa. acidy air eats the coper away causing leaks. if your best friend happens to be a refrigeration man have him look it over  :D if not looks like you be rollin the dice. the worst  case you got 2 fans that cost $ 800 ;D

Schramm

is 2 fans for $800 a good deal???? 8)

I think I will just trailer my wood up to the mill 2 hours from here and save the money as it sounds like the compressor costs as much as the entire unit.  Go figure and then again I guess I should be glad I asked.

Rob

red oaks lumber

don't give up that fast. why is that fella selling it ?  nowdays what is $800? if it looks decent, dosent make weird noises, isn't stolen. why not buy it.

Schramm

He bought it 2 years ago used, he never set it up.  He did have it running but I definatly know that it will need freon which is what now has me scared.  No it was not making and weird noises and it seemed to be working fine but without a chamber to test it with spending $800 on scrap metal does not sound like a lot of fun.  I am so new to this that I am spooked easily.  To me used without warranty means just that "without warranty" and spending $2300 on a compressor after buying the unit for $800 means that I could of just bought this new.  I think my biggest issue is that at the same time that I am buying all this equipment I am also gutting and redoing my 1880's home.  I am guessing that if I waste $800 on something that doesn't work my wife will not be happy!  I have been doing this out of pocket as when I get done with my house I want to owe nothing.  I paid cash for a 1880's fixer upper and it is the last part of my plan for financial freedom!  YEAH RIGHT!

Schramm

This is the pictures of the kiln in the state that it is in right now.  Runs, no funny noises but definatly no freon at all.  Stuck between buying and passing.

Den Socling

Some gas isn't available anymore. Is what that compressor uses currently available?

Schramm

Very good question, I will have to find out.  Not as much interested in it with all the questions going on in my head about possible issues.

thecfarm

I'm only guessing,will it hold feon or does it have a leak?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Schramm

I do not know, I am thinking its best to pass.

Rob

Thank You Sponsors!