iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

update photos from an old post: Barn is nearing completion!!

Started by catalina, October 23, 2018, 09:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catalina

Hey folks its been a busy last 2 years! below is a link to a post where I was asking about maple and cherry framing lumber mixed with pine for a barn we were going to build-Well things changed a bit. After getting all the trees milled up in the attached post ( Cherry and Maple framing lumber in Sawmills and Milling ) I had to face reality that I wasn't going to have the time to build a barn myself the way I wanted. So, we went looking for someone to build it with our lumber and the estimates we were getting were literally within a few thousand to have a commercial poll barn built with all materials supplied electricuted-smiley.  Well, we decided to go with the commercial pole barn and do all the internal finishing (electric, loft, stalls, etc.) with our lumber as we figured we could get that done on weekends and evenings and use our lumber for other projects we could tackle like run-ins and such. Well the barn is almost horse ready for the Misses horses and I am soooo glad, lol. As I get older the estimates I make on time required seem to get further and further off. Didn't get pictures of this weekend's work but we got the gravel in the stalls and packed and ready for mats and to hang stall fronts and all fencing is done. Ill post some more pictures when I get the chance. It probably doesn't look like much compared to many of the posted projects but I'm still pretty happy and proud that at least part of the barn came from trees grown within feet of the barns location, and cut and milled by Meg and I on the property. 

samandothers

Congratulations on your barn.  The interior work you are doing looks great.  Sometimes I make plans and way under estimate the effort or skill needed. Once I get into projects I quickly learn I was optimistic on the timeframe.

hedgerow

Looks like the wife is going to have a nice home for the horses. 30 plus years ago with the help of a FIL I put up couple smaller pole sheds 32x56 and 40x72 that we made the trusses and used telephone poles for the post used 2/6 lumber for the nailers and bought new steel for the siding.  Back then I was working nights in town and farming. It took us all one winter to put one up and the next winter we put the other up. We saved some money. In the last 20 years all the building we have put up have been down by a building company and like you I did the finish inside concrete,wiring and in one lined it and insulated it for a shop. That was enough for me with a town job and farming.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations on the good looking barn. I hope you, your wife and the horse enjoy it for many years to come.

When I read your first line it reminded me of a letter I got from I good friend whom I had not heard from in a year or so. He started his letter as "I'd have wrote sooner but the fish were biting." Who can refute logic like that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

catalina

Thanks guys! Howard, Im tired of the homestead work-I want to go fishin! lol

Skipper11A

I think you have made a whole lot of good decisions regarding that pole barn that you're going to be very happy with:

1)  You hired out the construction and saved a lot of time!  You also saved a lot of money when you figure what your time is worth and what it would cost
     if you fell off a ladder (happens all the time).  You also avoided pressure from your wife to get the building finished (ask me how I know).

2)  You built with sidewalls that are tall enough to allow you to actually use your second floor. 

3)  You put the fiberglass panels at the top of the sidewalls where they will be protected from the sun and hail.  

4)  You used your time and lumber to finish out the inside which is the best use of both.

Your barn gets a big thumbs-up from me.

Thank You Sponsors!