iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Latest figures for the Delta outbreak here in NZ

Of the 224 people that have needed hospital care, only 3 were vaccinated. (2 shots + 2 weeks). A lot of children have caught it, but fortunately not so many needed hospital care. MOST of the serious cases have been the non-vaccinated. The vaccination rate is for the total population, so includes the under 12s in the %.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HemlockKing

A1

kantuckid

Given that the discussion of vaccines is a worldwide hot topic lately, the most recent Smithsonian magazine has an article, written by a doc, that I found interesting.  Covers the historical and current diphtheria vaccination senario. 
It is an article any parent of younger children should read IMO.
 The diptheria vaccines have changed as recently as lately and it continues to be a factor for children's health in several areas of the world. Even in Europe, held up as being the more advanced society at times, they are still yet shuffling diphtheria vaccines from place to place.  
I may (probably) have miss-used the proper terminology of vaccine vs anti-toxins and so on but when we have parents who hold back their own kids from vaccinations it's a worthy discussion to understand better. 

After reading even more professional comments each day, I'm still in a holding pattern for more info about the booster covid shot for myself. I'll share that I do find the media comments from Dr. Marty Makary, of Johns Hopkins both informative and useful. He is of the opinion that the covid vaccines should have been spaced further apart than was the case for shots #1 & #2. Like most docs he also know there is a lack of research in the entire arena of covid vaccinations.

On shoulder shots I have wondered if somebody will strike my left shoulders screws or cable someday?

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

I've seen several doctors state that using a different vaccine boosts immunity and giving second doses further apart than 2 weeks is more effective as well. Around here I'd say from observation and the media reporting that most of us had doses a lot further apart than 2 weeks. I know mine was over 2 months apart. But that was only by consequence, because of availability of vaccine. So can't give full credit there to be honest. Just happens that it is more effective when doing that, as it turns out.  Mixing vaccines has been good to. Why mixing of vaccines was a big hesitation in some countries is still a mystery. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

It has to be studied.  if you got two very differant vaccines would they together be twice as good, no better than one alone, or some multiple of the origional like 3 or 4 times better.  when we started, we were trying to get people immunity, so do you wait a few months for the second dose so it lasts for years, or get two in soon as possible to get over 90% relative immunity.  if you die before the second dose, not so good.  I agree we are learning as we go.  how else can you do it with a novel pandemic.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Well stated Doc. smiley_thumbsup

As it turns out, if we look at other vaccinations for disease. Often see a different vaccine for the same disease gives a better response in some patients that didn't respond well from another. So going on inference and not all guess work.

But yes, maximize the # of people getting a poke was priority. ;)

Ianab

NZ had switched to 6 weeks gap between shots because research suggested that gave better immunity, and at the time the virus wasn't circulating here.  But when the virus did get loose again, we started seeing community cases, and there was now plenty of vaccine available, they are back to the 3 week gap. You can see from the table I posted above, the 2 shots (whether 3 or 6+ weeks apart) give a LOT better protection than just one shot. I don't believe the difference is huge, but currently the push is to get everyone that 90%(?) immunity. Maybe waiting longer might give 95, as might getting a booster next year. 

Like the Doc says. we don't KNOW, we are learning as we go. Makes it tough to give people exact answers for legit questions like "How long is the vaccine immunity good for?". You can measure how the level of antibodies in the blood falls off over time, but that's not a direct relationship to immunity. That probably depends on the body's ability to make MORE antibodies at short notice if needed, and that's harder to assess.

Will there be booster shots next year? Maybe. NZ is currently testing a new vaccine aimed more specifically at the Delta variant, and not MRNA based. It's hoped that this will work as a more effective booster shot. But it's only in animal testing at this stage, so no where near ready to deploy. And again it's the question of whether a different booster vaccine will work better than a 3rd dose of Pfizer, which no one knows yet.  

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

firefighter ontheside

My friend who is a researcher for pharmaceutical companies was telling us about the process of doing trials.  The manufacturer comes up with a hypothesis and tests it.  Pfizer hypothesized that waiting 3 weeks between shots would be a good time frame.  They did all the studies and it was found to be 95% efficacious.  When it was approved by FDA, that was what they had to do, because that's what was studied.  To change the timing gap, there would have to be whole new studies is what he said.  Now, that's for the US.  I presume other countries can do what ever they choose to be the better course.

My wife was just reading from the study on Pfizer in children 5 to 12.  So far, the vaccine was found to be 91% effective which is very good considering that much of the study was involving delta variant.  My 11 year old may be able to get a shot next week if they approve it.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

"New Canadian data suggests the bold strategy to delay and mix second doses of COVID-19 vaccines led to strong protection from infection, hospitalization and death — even against the highly contagious delta variant — that could provide lessons for the world."

New data suggests Canada's 'gamble' on delaying, mixing and matching COVID-19 vaccines paid off | CBC News

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

Sorry for your loss, Jeff. He sounds like a colorful character just from the obituary.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Sorry to hear that. Sobering that he was about our age. 

SwampDonkey

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Very sorry Jeff. This plague does not separate the good from the not so good and sadly takes all it wants..
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

newoodguy78

Ed_K

It sucks when everybody around you the same age die, and makes you wonder what's happening. Sorry Jeff.
Ed K

Texas Ranger

Sorry for your lose, bud, this has been all too frequent recently.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

firefighter ontheside

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, Jeff.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Lostinmn

For those interested in the protection of natural vs vaccine effectiveness there is a new study out which this article discusses.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/10/covid-19-vaccine-gives-5-times-protection-natural-immunity-data-show°°

Hilltop366

From the local radio station stats for Nova Scotia.

There have been 87 cases of COVID-19 between October 21 and October 27. Of those:
— 23 (26.4 per cent) were fully vaccinated
— 3 (3.4 per cent) were partially vaccinated
— 61 (70.1 per cent) were unvaccinated

There have been 5,649 cases from March 15 to October 27. Of those:
— 359 (6.4 per cent) were fully vaccinated
— 359 (6.4 per cent) were partially vaccinated
— 4,931 (87.3 per cent) were unvaccinated

There were 306 people hospitalized. Of those:
— 12 (3.9 per cent) were fully vaccinated
— 31 (10.1 per cent) were partially vaccinated
— 263 (85.9 per cent) were unvaccinated

Thirty-four people died. Of those: