iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Veggie Garden 2021

Started by SwampDonkey, June 05, 2021, 01:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

My lil pumpkin is doomed. The plant is history. 

I made cheesy chicken tonight cooked with a garden pepper and onions.  Ceasar on the side.  

Al_Smith

Try as I might the only squash I can grow is zucchini and yellow crooked neck and that is only to fry like green tomatoes .Some like zucchini bread I'm just not one of them .

SwampDonkey

The garden here actually dodged the frost, but it was lots white near by as I went to the woodlot that morning and whole fields were white up the road.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

weve got the stinkbugs and asian lady beetle.  plus a ton of monster carpenter bees, sometimes terrible flies, and the occasional lizard or copperhead who like to come in for a nap. 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

I'm on a ridge here, and we don't get the first frosts up here. Down in the low places always has frost first around here, yet I see Bernstein saying just the opposite. Cold pours like water and flows to the low ground, can't change that. ;)

Left some grapes for the birds and they ain't touched them yet. ::) Lots of robins beginning to flock up. Blue jays here by the dozens.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I tore out  a raised bed and half of another .Only left 6 tomato plants with green tomatoes .Probably fry them because if the frost holds off and they do get red they'll have hide on them like air dried buffalo bull back  skin . The jungle of cucumbers had about a dozen that didn't get too far long, saved them .The ones that hid were the size of small water  melons .I'll toss them on a pile of top soil .What the critters don't eat might turn into another jungle .

SwampDonkey

Warm again here this week, in the 70's. Was 54F this morning before I headed to work. Got one green squash left in the garden that is probably a 5 lb'er maybe it will ripen this week. :D

SwampDonkey

I still have my eye on the squash vines, been watching one cure and now there is a second one looking good to. No frost at the garden yet and suppose to warm up this weekend. :D  And now the trees are about as bare as winter time around here. :)

Chuck White

The only thing left in my little garden spot is tomatoes, and some of the leaves are looking like they've been hit with frost!

We haven't had a frost here yet, but I'm sure it won't be long!

Over the next few days, I'll be pulling the tomatoes and throwing them in the compost barrel.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

A few red oak leaves, but most everything else is bare behind them. Yellow birch, cherry, red maple, elm.

The ash is in front of the garden, so you see old dried up male flowers in those black masses. They persist for years on black ash. ;D

Al_Smith

I've still got a few green tomatoes ,they might get red or if a frost is forth coming I'll snatch them before .Ripened on a window sill is just nearly as good as on the vine .

SwampDonkey

The last handful I tried here did not have the taste I expect of a garden tomato. So fresh tomato is over for me this year. :D There is probably a  good sized potato barrel full rotten on the ground.

21incher

Garden is done.  Planted the garlic and still have a massive cleanup to catch up on. 
Garden 2021 Part18 Planting Garlic and Cleanup - YouTube
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

mike_belben

I went to pull maters maybe a week ago and the stems were all brown inside from fusarium so i put em in the burn pile.  Today i planted kale, kohlrabi, bok choi, several cabbages, rutabega, turnip, brocolli, etc 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

I've been waiting for a good frost here and pull off the vines and pull stakes. Then top with the sheep manure. 8)

Grape vines have never been hit with frost yet either. I left some grape bunches on them for the birds. :)

thecfarm

Peppers are still growing.  :)  Well not really, but they are still good. I plant mostly ace for sweet ones. I have black plastic on the ground and a cover up with greenhouse poly over them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yeah, we still pick peppers here to. I slice a bunch of rings for on my sandwich. Any left over I toss because I can grab another one next time. :D

Al_Smith

Since the mention of grapes left  for the birds I might mention I have plenty of wild ones .The birds are very good grape planters and raspberrys .About like squirrels and nuts .

SwampDonkey

I do have a wild vine on the back of the lot, probably 30 feet up into the trees. About 2" where it comes out of the ground. I know birds brought that one here because there wasn't any on the place years ago. But they always grew in the river valley so no surprise. :D

Mooseherder

Glaciated carrots headed across state lines next week to the southland.  :)
Yesir yesir one bag full.
And a bag of purple potatoes.

21incher

Let us know how your  rutabagas do Mike. I  have never had luck with  them. Mine always come out woody texture  or full of worm holes so I gave up growing them.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

mike_belben

Feeding blended up fermented veggies to chickens makes every garden adventure a success.  I feel completely different about the whole 'wasted time' concept now that anything i dont eat still gets eaten by something im gonna eat. 
Praise The Lord

kantuckid

One thing I've found that chickens won't eat is those giant no good okras. The chickens will eat the seeds but pass on the tough outer shells- like makes sense?
I have cherry peppers not red yet and still no frost in sight this month, maybe they'll get red? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

We always have left turnip or rutabagas until frost to sweeten them up. Also a borate insecticide in under the seed depth for the worms. Not borox, borox will kill anything including the garden. :D You could also try diatomaceous earth below the seeds and later under the leaves.

Cold north wind today, nothing going to grow in that. :D No frost, but cold.

kantuckid

What is a glaciated carrot?  No glaciers in ME? Not many anywhere now really... :D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!