iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there a standard for measuring bar length???

Started by burdman_22, October 25, 2021, 02:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdman_22

I bought an 84 inch bar from Granbgerg a while back, and it ended up being shorter than I had imagined.

My Stihl 59 inch bar measures 64 inches to the back "adjuster hole". Which gives a 59 inch cut with the dogs.

My granberg measures 84.5 inches to the back "adjuster holes"....so I can't even get a full 84 inch cut by removing the dogs.

Is there not a standard used for measuring bar lengths? I was very disappointed that the granberg bar was shorter than I expected.

sawguy21

The measurement available for cutting is the most common method but I have seen marketers use the overall length mostly for uninformed consumers. There does not seem to be a standard unfortunately.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Patrick NC

On my old ms260 you could cut 14.5 inches with a 16" stihl bar. My new Husqvarna 550xp will cut 16" with a 16" Husqvarna bar. I have an aftermarket bar on the 550 now(won't mention the brand) that cuts 15". So it seems to be all over the place. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

lxskllr

I've only checked one bar, and it came up about right, but I can't remember exactly how. It was out of curiosity looking at Stihl 25" bar, cause everyone else sells 24". Mounted to a saw, I measured ~25", but I can't remember if it was to the dogs or the powerhead. Whatever it was, I was satisfied it was a legit measurement, and Stihl wasn't just pulling it out of their butts.

mrcaptainbob

My MS390's chain (Stihl) has 36 cutting teeth. 20" cutting depth.
My Ward's chain (Stihl) has 35 cutting teeth. 20" cutting depth.

burdman_22

So I measured my 84 inch bar from end to end and it is 86.25 inches long. On Granberg's website it lists the dimensions of the 84 inch bar as 89 x 5.5 x 0.5 inches. So MAYBE I'm not able to get the 84 inch cut I expected because the manufacturer of the bar is making it 2.75 inches shorter than Granberg is asking for?

I've emailed Granberg about it, curious how they will respond to this. (The bar is stamped as an 84 inch bar, which I checked first as I thought they maybe sent me the wrong size by mistake)

lxskllr

How do the stated drive links for chain compare?

burdman_22

The website stated 222 drive links, and I was BARELY able to get the chain on the bar, so I guess that part checks out.

lxskllr

On Cannon's site, I used the bar selector with milling use case, Stihl 880, and 84" as the variables, and it gave this for drive links...

.404=225dl
.375=249dl
.325=282dl

Not sure it means anything other than a frame of reference, but there it is.

Thank You Sponsors!