iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oh, how a project grows

Started by boonesyard, October 18, 2021, 11:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

It started with a customer building a new hunting cabin that began last year. He had to cut a couple large bur oaks down and had us saw and dry everything in to 4/4 for base and trim. There were a couple larger logs that would make some decent slabs so we sawed them up, just in case. Let everything air dry for a year, kilned it all this year and got the trim to him this summer. He was pleased with it and asked if we had enough material to build his interior doors, we did. I laminated 2 pieces of 4/4 for the rails and stiles, and milled them down to 1-3/8". The panels are a simple V tongue and groove.

He liked the doors so well, he asked if we could build him a table. I just happened to have enough 10/4 for the top, so that's next. He wanted a fairly heavy look and we didn't have enough 10/4 for the legs, but had a lot of 4/4 left. He let me run with the design, so it'll be bar height and a trestle style base.

Parts to laminate the leg components and the stretchers

The first trestle leg dry fit

Need to cut the mortise in the upright yet, but pleased with the result. Got some work to do to get it finished and delivered by the first weekend of November, deer huntin ya know.

We've kept him in the loop during the process, and now he would like us to build him a timber frame loft. The cabin sidewalls are 16' so it's doable. We'll need to process more material for the loft build over the next year. Funny how a small project can grow  8).
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

firefighter ontheside

This is a very nice, large project.  love the doors.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

VB-Milling

Those are some handsome looking doors!  Looking forward to seeing the table top on the base.  I like the angles.

Interesting the owner chose such a tall baseboard profile with such a narrow door casing. ???
HM126

WDH

Love the door too.  Well done!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Obviously you do great work!  It shows and the owner is pleased and likes the idea that it is getting done versus taking forever.  The doors do look nice and the table is shaping up to a great piece!

Thanks for sharing this.

boonesyard

They ended up using the larger base to cover up the 8" block that was used for a ledger.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

barbender

Wow, just wow! Not only is the work beautiful, but bur oak is one of my favorites!
Too many irons in the fire

boonesyard

Thanks barbender.  I really like bur oak too. If you can get it sawed and dried flat, and no honeycomb, the character is beautiful. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

metalspinner

The owner is going to love telling the story how the logs on the property were used in the cabin. Every new visitor to the cabin will hear it. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

boonesyard

We completed the table last night, will wrap and load this afternoon and delivery this evening. Deer hunting starts tomorrow, so we'll call this just-in-time  ;D. 

The owner wanted and heavy, natural looking European bar height pub style table. I sure hope he likes it.

It's 42"W x 96"L x 41"H. It's finished with 2 coats of Rubio Monocoat and Blackforest Wood Co Ceramic coating. We've used this system for a number of projects and it holds up VERY well to abuse. All table top voids are epoxy filled. 

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

aigheadish

That's really lovely! 

Is it still in the neighborhood of 10/4? It doesn't seem that thick. Is the top attached to the base somehow or just gravity? 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

boonesyard

Thank-you.

By the time all of the milling and flattening took place, the top is 8/4 finished. The table actually comes apart and can be moved/transported in 6 separate pieces. The two trestle ends, two top stretchers, the heavy bottom stretcher and the top. The two top stretchers are connected to the trestle ends using Rampa connectors and bolts. The bottom stretcher is obviously a thru mortise and tenon with wedged tusks and the top is then connected to the top stretchers using Rampa connectors as well. Very solid.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

WDH

That is very well done, Sir.  Very well done.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nebraska

Thank You Sponsors!