iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dust Sucker

Started by metalspinner, November 08, 2021, 09:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

So this happened today. Local Craigslist find. A brand new, unused, 2016 Oneida High Vacuum 5HP cyclone. 

I was dream shopping just last week and was comparing this model to the Laguna equivalent. But I emptied all the carts because, I mean, really?? Who in the world can spend that much money on a machine that doesn't produce anything?? :D :D  New, full blown retail, tax and freight would have made this the most expensive tool in my shop. Maybe any two tools in my shop combined?

Then cruising CL this weekend, I found her. Just begging me to take her home. We had our first date tonight in the back of my truck.

My old, 1hp Penn State collector doesn't know I'm about to break up with her yet. I don't want to say anything because I still need her work for about one more month.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Andries

A great find, very nice!
That's a twin to mine except the one in my shop is yellow. They are great dust collectors. Falling down the rabbit hole of ductwork design may be in your future.
Makes a guy wonder: who buys something like this and then let's it sit for five years?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

Hey!!!  That's the one that was stolen out of my mill shed.  Wow, can't believe they tried to move it on Craigs List, it's been so long I figured it was scrap by now.  Do I need to send a truck with a lift gate or can you get it back onto a semi without one for me?   

Did your heart skip a beat yet?   :D  :D  Congrats on an awesome find!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

metalspinner

:D :D
You must have the cleanest mill shed on the planet!

kantuckid

Your dust sucker is stronger than mine :D but mines OK one machine at a time. You win the dust sucker war...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

metalspinner

This was bought through a used machinery dealer. He bought out an entire shop from a guy. He had recently retired and bought all new stuff - mostly Powermatic and Laguna - then decided it was too much work. So it sat for 5 years then he sold it to the used equipment dealer. 
All the tools looked like showroom new. Crazy. 

I've been thinking about that Laguna resaw all day. But my marriage and life is important to me. Not sure if she would divorce me or kill me???🤣

samandothers

Great find!  I should spend more time on CL.  However spending more time on CL could mean spending more $! :o

VB-Milling

Quote from: samandothers on November 10, 2021, 08:40:10 AM
However spending more time on CL could mean spending more $! :o
Can confirm this is a true statement  :D
HM126

welderskelter

I could suck every ounce of heat out of my shop in about a minute. Ha

metalspinner

Houston, the Eagle has landed

@andries
Yes , duct work seems to be more complicated than it should be. 

I haven't looked into it for real yet. But the online, snap together, dust collection ducting seems crazy expensive. The home center stuff ??? 

I'll give a call to my HVAC guy to see what alternatives there are. 

But there are so many accessories like the different blast gates, automatic gates, etc. 

In my current basement shop, I have 4" pvc. But it's a very short run, and a low powered sucker. 
This Oneida unit starts with an 8" intake. They have a design service available but haven't looked into yet. 

Andries

The HVAC guys always gave advice based on blowing air, none seemed to wrap their heads around sucking sawdust. 😜
After a ton of headscratching and emails, the best advice and materials I got were from a firm called Blastgate, near Detroit.
Their advice:
- keep it simple, as straight as possible and as smooth as possible.
- keep your main duct the same size as your inlet to the cyclone 8"
- drops from the main should be 6" and most hookups to machinery tends to be 4".
- any duct bends should be big radius ducting.
I got a rash when I saw the price tags on the snap together ducting so spiral pipe was used. The HD ducting is too light and flimsy imo.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

metalspinner

Is the spiral duct a local HVAC product?

Andries

Yup, a local firm called Eastside Ventilation made the duct pipe, bends and reducers to order. I needed two 90 degree 8" long radius bends and some 8" blast gates, Blastgate makes a really nice product and shipped quickly.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

farmfromkansas

The local Ace hardware stocks 26 gauge pipe and fittings.  You might get one to order longer lengths of pipe.  The local is only 24" lengths.  But the elbows and such are great.  If you could get 5' lengths of pipe would be great.  Careful to use nothing less than 26 gauge, a sucker like that would flatten 30 gauge pipe.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

DDW_OR

Quote from: welderskelter on November 10, 2021, 10:15:34 AM
I could suck every ounce of heat out of my shop in about a minute. Ha
add a HEPA filter between the collector room and the shop/
that way the heat can return to the shop as clean hot air
Filter in blue
arrows are dust flow
large door is for exterior access to remove collected dust

"let the machines do the work"

samandothers

Looks like you have filters already.  I have a Oneida super dust deputy cyclone, an old Grizzly single stage 4 bagger with a 4hp motor and Wynn filters.  I need to get some duct too but have not purchased.  Looked at some of the Oneida stuff, but they sure are proud of it. 

Walnut Beast

So when the smoke settled how much money do you figure you saved ?

metalspinner

All in on a new one with tax and freight, this unit is over 5k. I came in under half of that.
Who knows if you can even get a new one in this day and age??

Walnut Beast

Definitely nice score 👍

kantuckid

Obviously, an outside sheltered dust collector box would greatly reduce noise and save space. ;) My collector is smaller and no filtration-it sucks and blows into an outside box. I always have ear protection on if I'm sucking dust so noise isn't a factor for me.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

farmfromkansas

I have a 3hp cyclone, and made an outside air dump, similar to a dryer vent, and use a blast gate to open to let the air outside, which works fine most of the year.  When it is really cold, I close the gate outside, and let the filter return the air to the shop.  Using the filter cuts the suction by half.

alan gage

I have pretty much the same unit that I got used from a cabinet maker friend when he upgraded. I was very fortunate that he was moving into a new shop at this time and after redoing his setup he had a lot of spiral pipe, elbows, and adapters left over, which he gave to me. 

The pipe he gave me was more than enough to do my whole shop but I did run short on adapters and elbows but I've had good luck sourcing regular HVAC parts at the hardware store for those. I'm not sure how regular HVAC pipe would stand up to the suction but the adjustable elbows are plenty sturdy. Once the adjustable elbows are installed I wrap all the joints with real duct tape. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

farmfromkansas

26 gauge is the gauge for wood suckers.  Anything thinner can go flat.  26 gauge snap lock elbows are very sturdy.  You can twist them into a 45 and use 2 to make a 90 and big sticks can make the corner. My 3hp will suck thin strips off the tablesaw up the pipe.  I have a shark guard with overhead dust collection.

Thank You Sponsors!