The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: how to join 4 oak slabs together  (Read 1571 times)

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: how to join 4 oak slabs together
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2021, 10:51:30 AM »
As I am a woodworker with very limited tools, I would assume that you have at least a hand held router, so first build the router table, side runners at least a foot longer than the proposed table top and 1/4" to 1/2" taller than your thickest board/slab, then mount your runners to the base (a sheet of chip board, Masonite, particle board, plywood etc.) spacing the runners far enough apart to allow the widest board/slab to fit between then you construct the router sled to  slide up and down the runners and the router across the slab that way you can get a level slab, also could use the same method to square the edges by using taller runners and clamping the slab/board to the squared runner.  A lap joint could be cut using the router sled also.  
I have used my 4x24 Bosch belt sander on large slab type surfaces to maintain thickness rather than one of my several routers. I've even used radial arm saws, many times in fact, to create a true flat surface. 
A hand plane was the tool I was forced to joint edges with in 7th grade, like many kids, it was hand tools or nothing which is the best beginning and perhaps the more creative end as well. Lots, meaning "too many of tools", is a disease many folks get, while ignoring technique. I'm not limited but i try to avoid wasting space and moolah. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 11:22:35 AM »
he (OP) may have been curious and after posting but then forgot his password.  but he did get a pic in the thread, which is a learning curve for many.  he also may think no one will reply, at for some time.  Our forum tends to be quick to try to help new members.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2021, 05:02:51 PM »
I for one, enjoyed the discussion, OP or no OP, wood freaks are like that? :D

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2021, 07:02:00 PM »
I really like seeing what you guys produce from the slabs. I saw and dry. When people send me pictures or I see what a finnished product from my work, my comment is ussually. I didn't Charge Enough. The wood looks better finished than it did when I opened that log. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2021, 12:57:41 AM »
Joining boards end to end isn't done much.  Generally doesn't look very good, but one way to make it look good and work would be to use a strip of wood between them (grain running perpendicular to the slabs).  This strip could be straight or S shaped or curved.  you then use kreg jig screws to to screw the two halves of the top to the divider strip.  Depending on the thickness, you'll have to see how strong and rigid it is.  It may be necessary to add reinforcement on the underside.  You could add a routered in metal plate, or maybe bowties?  

Keep in mind this assumes you glue up each half first at the parallel grain glue joint.  What I'm talking about above is joining the end grain to a divider strip.  The strip can be a contrasting wood like Walnut, Ebony, purple heart etc. or it could be the same type of oak.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2021, 10:25:27 AM »
It could be done as you say by making the center strip similar to a breadboard end design which allows for wood movement. No Kreg crews required perhaps if a frame surround the affair which also allowed for wood movement. 
Seems to me the OP's wood belonged as other table parts and he needed a few top suited ones as the better solution. 

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2021, 11:20:27 AM »
Yes Kentuckid is correct, you could do a breadboard divider. That is sort of the next level of woodworking. I was trying to keep it a little simpler as the OP is a beginning woodworker. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How to join slabs

Started by ljohnsaw on General Woodworking

18 Replies
Last post September 20, 2016, 07:15:23 AM
by cbla
xx
Had to Join In

Started by DeepWoods on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post December 02, 2003, 10:12:51 AM
by Stump Jumper