The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Watcha Makin'?  (Read 18675 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • In Memoriam
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Watcha Makin'?
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 08:16:31 AM »
Olcowhand, I really like that bar table.  Not too big and not to small.  Just right.  

Built a coffee table for a Lady out of wormy pecan.  The table is planked, that is the top edge of all the boards that are glued up for the top and shelf have a small 45 chamfer to highlight the individual boards to give it the old timey plank look.  I did not turn the legs, got them from Osborne Wood Products who make a large line of all types of legs from many hardwood species.  

The breadboard is pegged with walnut pegs.  The legs are hickory which works since pecan is a hickory.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 08:59:42 AM »
Thats a great little table Danny.  My wife doesn't like coffee tables, so we don't have one.  She doesn't like coffee either.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2022, 12:15:47 PM »
Rustic,

I made a rear 2 wheel dolly similar to yours. I use a ratchet strap around the log to attach it to the log and lift the log with my log arch. Acts like a rear axle on a pulp wood or log truck.

Good luck with yours.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 02:00:52 PM »
I made something like this too.  Mine is a piece of 2" tube with axle hubs in the ends and golf cart tires on it.  I don't use it often, but its nice to not skid the log on the ground.  I can pick up one end of the log with the loader and put the axle underneath.  Then I can pick up the other end with the 3 point and pull it like a trailer.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Offline jimbarry

• Work less, make more.
    • Share Post
    • Woodchuck Canuck
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 08:26:26 PM »
Donuts count? :)  
Just finished frying up a double batch of buttermilk cake donuts and a double batch of chocolate walnut crunch cake donuts.

To keep in the theme of wood, I did skid 2 cords of logs to the processor this afternoon.

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2022, 09:14:02 PM »
Of course donuts count.  That's like asking if bacon counts.

Tomorrow I will start building a treehouse of sorts for  one of my customers.  This will be a 12' x 12' deck 8' tall built around a tree, but not attached to said tree.  It will have two ladders going up to it and railing made of hog panels and wood.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2022, 06:06:48 AM »
Nice things you all are making.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2022, 06:48:06 AM »
Not much doing here. Finishing some things off so I can start on some new things coming up. Friday afternoon I had some time, so I finished assembling a Loginator for stock. I have another all painted and ready to assemble but I will leave that in pieces because it takes a lot less room.

I have an order of mushroom logs due this week so of course I picked Saturday, the hottest day of the year so far to do that. ;D Fortunately it was only 35 logs for a workshop and Bill and his 5 y/o daughter came out in the gator to help drag brush and load a little. But it was still a 3 t-shirt and 2 hat day. I had the logs done by noon and I also collected 2 bags of hardwood chips for mushroom beds.

I did other chores the rest of that day, took a shower and a nap before we went out to dinner because it was so hot.

Yesterday I got the trailer queued up and got Bill to stop by with his little helper and help me get that work bench on the trailer. After they left I did a little extra work on a weak spot I found in the top, then strapped it all down, loaded installation tools and patio blocks and tarped the whole thing over against the forecast rain in the evening. We never really got the rain, the front split right before it got to us.

Today is cooler which is great. I will yank that tarp off, hitch up the trailer and go install the bench about 20 miles from here, then drive another few miles to deliver the logs at the retreat where they are doing their event.

Next up I have to make a couple of picnic tables with the RiteLeg legs. These will be slabs and we have to run them through the slabmizer then get them here for the finish work and build. We also have an order for 3" thick, 24"wide l/e slabs for a fella to build a 32' bar with, so I have to get on that also. We have the log pulled already.

Today is another day.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2022, 03:55:42 PM »
Donuts count? :)  

Yes, I had to look and see if you were close enough for me to ride over.😂

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2022, 04:34:02 PM »
Heck yeah donuts count! Those surely look good to me!

Here's another stretch from the thread title: Not so much what I made as what I delivered/installed.

And the 'installed' part is even a stretch. This is in an outdoor classroom/workshop area and I was prepared to set 4 patio blocks to level it up on. But after we set the inoculation systems up over a month ago, there was a comment from one of the interested parties that we did not leave enough room to mow around them. Considering that and a few other issues we decided on a temp install to make it functional and then after they run a workshop figure out how the workflow works out and make adjustments before setting blocks. Also, we had both forgotten how much slope there was in the ground and I did not have enough block for a proper job. So the 4 blocks went under 2 legs to bring it up to level.

Since I was at the farm and we then had to go to another location to drop off the logs for a weekend 'mushroom retreat' I offered to transport the clients material at the same time. The trailer was empty, so why not? We loaded up and although the second site was just 1 mile, line of site, from where we were, we had to drive around the mountain and it took 30 minutes to get there. That's life in the Catskills. :D
 We off-loaded everything, settled paperwork, checked out the mushroom growth from the past 4 years of workshops (it's a bit early, but they are popp9ing up!) and I headed home and put all the tools away.

At least now I have room in the shop for the next thing and a couple more SGU's in the bank. Oh, and the client is "super happy" (his words, not mine).
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline Tom King

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2022, 04:37:42 PM »
Not really woodworking, but these are woodworking machines.

I built real mobile bases for a 24" bandsaw, and a drill press.  Things they sell as "mobile bases" haven't impressed me as being really easily mobile.  These are my two easiest to move machines now.

Rat Rod look will have to stay for a while, since I need to use these machines rather than spend time making them pretty.  6" casters under the bandsaw, and 4" for the drill press.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2022, 07:44:48 PM »
Those bases are really nice. I have been needing to do something like that for a very long time.

Offline Tom King

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2022, 10:27:03 AM »
Design criteria was keeping the machines close to the floor, and easy to move.  Metal was almost all from a scrap pile here when we bought this place years ago.

Here are the casters I used for the 24" bandsaw.  They have one foot lever to lock, and another one to release, so you never have to bend over, or pull one up without proper shoes.

Amazon.com: 6" x 2" Heavy Duty Metal CASTERS with Poly Tread - Set of 4 Wheels, 2 Fixed, 2 Swivel w/Brakes - Swivel Casters are Locking - Foghorn Construction : Industrial & Scientific

Other than overcoming the inertia of the big bandsaw, it's the easiest moving machine I have now.

On the drillpress, I put the fixed casters on the front so the locks would never be in the way.

For a planer, I like four swivel casters.  When I'm running a batch of parts that require multiple passes, I just spin the planer around without having to handle the boards twice.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2022, 07:41:06 PM »
I've been trying to figure where to put the drill press in my new shop and now I think I know, it won't matter.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Offline trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2022, 08:01:32 PM »
Tom , Thanks for the link. I started a thread about putting casters on my planer and those look like what I need. They are rated for 3500 lbs. There might be some copying go on 😁. 

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2022, 08:56:44 PM »
I got the posts up and most of the joists for the tree house today.  I have to work tomorrow and thursday.  I will go back Friday and get the floor boards on and hopefully start on the railing.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2022, 10:25:49 PM »
I have been working, so making "money".  2 days, then 2 nights, then today in the past 6 days.  65 hours.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2022, 10:32:32 PM »
And in the meantime you make stuff like that potting table, which, apparently, I now need to make for my wife. :D ;D

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2022, 10:36:04 PM »
sawdust Jimmy @Jim Thomas made it with wood I gave him from Doc Hagley @Cardiodoc the cardiologist.  I will let them know they are in trouble.   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline aigheadish

• Senior Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2022, 11:10:36 AM »
FFOTS- That picture made me think of when a board is attached to something through the rungs of a ladder... How 'ya going to get that tree out now!  :D

I've got a deadline and a speed-build! Normally, I take my sweet, sweet time (read- procrastinate) on projects. My sister is going on a camping trip in her tiny, little Mini-Winney, which has a stove top but otherwise very little counter space in a few days. 

She asked if I could make a chopping block and cover for the stove. I said yes but then she proceeded to not send me any measurements for it until she was doing a practice run with the camper in my back yard, this past Sunday night. She's leaving this coming up Sunday and I expect to see her Saturday afternoon. Thusly, I started last night, got my pieces ripped/jointed/planed and mostly glued last night, but I had to leave three or four pieces glued separately, so they'd fit through the planer, then I'll glue that chunk on the other chunk. I realized just a bit ago that my daughter has her 8th grade graduation this evening, so very little time to work on it, and tomorrow is golf night, so that's out. I'll have a couple hours tonight when I get home, then a few hours Friday night and Saturday morning... We'll see how it goes. This is the beginning. Granted, I'll be removing about 4 inches on the sides (left and right in the picture) but this is some heavy, dense wood. I'm thinking I'll rout out the backside a bit but I've never really done such a thing, so I'll have to figure out a jig and all that crap, unless I can do it with the slab flattener jig...

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
makin a log grab

Started by weisyboy on Forestry and Logging

14 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 08:28:11 PM
by Ironwood
thumbup
Makin' the Grade

Started by fencerowphil (Phil L.) on Sawmills and Milling

19 Replies
Last post January 09, 2007, 08:59:26 PM
by fencerowphil (Phil L.)