iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Of course donuts count.  That's like asking if bacon counts.

Tomorrow I will start building a treehouse of sorts for  one of my customers.  This will be a 12' x 12' deck 8' tall built around a tree, but not attached to said tree.  It will have two ladders going up to it and railing made of hog panels and wood.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

Nice things you all are making.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Not much doing here. Finishing some things off so I can start on some new things coming up. Friday afternoon I had some time, so I finished assembling a Loginator for stock. I have another all painted and ready to assemble but I will leave that in pieces because it takes a lot less room.

I have an order of mushroom logs due this week so of course I picked Saturday, the hottest day of the year so far to do that. ;D Fortunately it was only 35 logs for a workshop and Bill and his 5 y/o daughter came out in the gator to help drag brush and load a little. But it was still a 3 t-shirt and 2 hat day. I had the logs done by noon and I also collected 2 bags of hardwood chips for mushroom beds.

I did other chores the rest of that day, took a shower and a nap before we went out to dinner because it was so hot.

Yesterday I got the trailer queued up and got Bill to stop by with his little helper and help me get that work bench on the trailer. After they left I did a little extra work on a weak spot I found in the top, then strapped it all down, loaded installation tools and patio blocks and tarped the whole thing over against the forecast rain in the evening. We never really got the rain, the front split right before it got to us.

Today is cooler which is great. I will yank that tarp off, hitch up the trailer and go install the bench about 20 miles from here, then drive another few miles to deliver the logs at the retreat where they are doing their event.

Next up I have to make a couple of picnic tables with the RiteLeg legs. These will be slabs and we have to run them through the slabmizer then get them here for the finish work and build. We also have an order for 3" thick, 24"wide l/e slabs for a fella to build a 32' bar with, so I have to get on that also. We have the log pulled already.

Today is another day.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

trimguy

Quote from: jimbarry on May 22, 2022, 08:26:26 PM
Donuts count? :)  

Yes, I had to look and see if you were close enough for me to ride over.😂

Old Greenhorn

Heck yeah donuts count! Those surely look good to me!

Here's another stretch from the thread title: Not so much what I made as what I delivered/installed.

And the 'installed' part is even a stretch. This is in an outdoor classroom/workshop area and I was prepared to set 4 patio blocks to level it up on. But after we set the inoculation systems up over a month ago, there was a comment from one of the interested parties that we did not leave enough room to mow around them. Considering that and a few other issues we decided on a temp install to make it functional and then after they run a workshop figure out how the workflow works out and make adjustments before setting blocks. Also, we had both forgotten how much slope there was in the ground and I did not have enough block for a proper job. So the 4 blocks went under 2 legs to bring it up to level.

Since I was at the farm and we then had to go to another location to drop off the logs for a weekend 'mushroom retreat' I offered to transport the clients material at the same time. The trailer was empty, so why not? We loaded up and although the second site was just 1 mile, line of site, from where we were, we had to drive around the mountain and it took 30 minutes to get there. That's life in the Catskills. :D
 We off-loaded everything, settled paperwork, checked out the mushroom growth from the past 4 years of workshops (it's a bit early, but they are popp9ing up!) and I headed home and put all the tools away.

At least now I have room in the shop for the next thing and a couple more SGU's in the bank. Oh, and the client is "super happy" (his words, not mine).
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Tom King

Not really woodworking, but these are woodworking machines.

I built real mobile bases for a 24" bandsaw, and a drill press.  Things they sell as "mobile bases" haven't impressed me as being really easily mobile.  These are my two easiest to move machines now.

Rat Rod look will have to stay for a while, since I need to use these machines rather than spend time making them pretty.  6" casters under the bandsaw, and 4" for the drill press.

Crusarius

Those bases are really nice. I have been needing to do something like that for a very long time.

Tom King

Design criteria was keeping the machines close to the floor, and easy to move.  Metal was almost all from a scrap pile here when we bought this place years ago.

Here are the casters I used for the 24" bandsaw.  They have one foot lever to lock, and another one to release, so you never have to bend over, or pull one up without proper shoes.

Amazon.com: 6" x 2" Heavy Duty Metal CASTERS with Poly Tread - Set of 4 Wheels, 2 Fixed, 2 Swivel w/Brakes - Swivel Casters are Locking - Foghorn Construction : Industrial & Scientific

Other than overcoming the inertia of the big bandsaw, it's the easiest moving machine I have now.

On the drillpress, I put the fixed casters on the front so the locks would never be in the way.

For a planer, I like four swivel casters.  When I'm running a batch of parts that require multiple passes, I just spin the planer around without having to handle the boards twice.

gspren

I've been trying to figure where to put the drill press in my new shop and now I think I know, it won't matter.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

trimguy

Tom , Thanks for the link. I started a thread about putting casters on my planer and those look like what I need. They are rated for 3500 lbs. There might be some copying go on 😁. 

firefighter ontheside

I got the posts up and most of the joists for the tree house today.  I have to work tomorrow and thursday.  I will go back Friday and get the floor boards on and hopefully start on the railing.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I have been working, so making "money".  2 days, then 2 nights, then today in the past 6 days.  65 hours.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

And in the meantime you make stuff like that potting table, which, apparently, I now need to make for my wife. :D ;D

doc henderson

sawdust Jimmy @Jim Thomas made it with wood I gave him from Doc Hagley @Cardiodoc the cardiologist.  I will let them know they are in trouble.   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

FFOTS- That picture made me think of when a board is attached to something through the rungs of a ladder... How 'ya going to get that tree out now!  :D

I've got a deadline and a speed-build! Normally, I take my sweet, sweet time (read- procrastinate) on projects. My sister is going on a camping trip in her tiny, little Mini-Winney, which has a stove top but otherwise very little counter space in a few days. 

She asked if I could make a chopping block and cover for the stove. I said yes but then she proceeded to not send me any measurements for it until she was doing a practice run with the camper in my back yard, this past Sunday night. She's leaving this coming up Sunday and I expect to see her Saturday afternoon. Thusly, I started last night, got my pieces ripped/jointed/planed and mostly glued last night, but I had to leave three or four pieces glued separately, so they'd fit through the planer, then I'll glue that chunk on the other chunk. I realized just a bit ago that my daughter has her 8th grade graduation this evening, so very little time to work on it, and tomorrow is golf night, so that's out. I'll have a couple hours tonight when I get home, then a few hours Friday night and Saturday morning... We'll see how it goes. This is the beginning. Granted, I'll be removing about 4 inches on the sides (left and right in the picture) but this is some heavy, dense wood. I'm thinking I'll rout out the backside a bit but I've never really done such a thing, so I'll have to figure out a jig and all that crap, unless I can do it with the slab flattener jig...

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

firefighter ontheside

That's a pin oak.  I have no need to get it out of the treehouse.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

This is Marla, our med staff office champion.  this place would not run without her.  she is getting married to her long-time sweetheart and leaving for Europe in 2 days.  this is their wedding gift.  engraved glasses, a holder, and wine made from Dr. Lairmore's vineyard here in Hutchnson.

samandothers

FFOTS Are the piers on gravel and how deep?  Good start for the tree house.

aigheadish, could be the board is not hollowed for this trip given time constraints.  If it needs to be raised from the cook top add some temporary rails under it.  

DOC the gift is a great idea and well executed.  Good idea for other gift occasions too!

aigheadish

The time constraints are a lie that my son pointed out to me yesterday. I forgot that I'm taking off of work tomorrow, so I have a fair amount of time. I initially was going to go the route of raised rails, until a felt how heavy the thing is. Some hollowing out is in order. My nemesis is the router. I don't have tons of experience with them and they make me nervous, not just for my life but for my projects also. I'm hoping to make a suitable jig to just be able to throw the router in whatever direction and it cuts out what is not needed. We'll see. Thanks for the idea!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: aigheadish on May 26, 2022, 01:13:37 PMI'm hoping to make a suitable jig to just be able to throw the router in whatever direction and it cuts out what is not needed. We'll see.
I would think you will need an "adjustable" jig.  For the inside edge of the cutout I would go with a 3/4" radius bit.  Then clear the field with the biggest flat bottom bit you have.  Make a plywood "frame" that puts the biggest flat bottom bit you have no closer than 3/4" from the desired cutout.  Then make a sub-frame (or just some sticks) that will get the 3/4" round nose to hit your outside mark.

Cut with the big bit first, making the final pass just a 32nd or maybe a 16th to clean up any burn marks ;)  Then, install the spacer sticks and do the round nose (cove) bit.  If you use just sticks, you can take them out and plane off a 32nd or 16th to do  final pass if needed.

Your plywood frame is going to be bigger than your cover board so you will have to have a backer board and cleats to hold the cover board and big enough to raise up your plywood frame to be above the cover board.  The cleats should be the same thickness or a little shy of your cover board thickness.  Hope that makes sense.

Then for the finishing touch, use a round over bit with a bearing guide to finish the final edge at the surface.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

aigheadish

Thanks John! It kind of makes sense and I plan to watch a few videos on router basics again. I have an idea of how it should work but I want to take advantage of other's experience, not to mention just brushing up.

Crusarius

aig, you said you had a router sled? clamp the cover to the table then clamp stop blocks to the router sled and the table. that is the easiest and fastest adjustable pocketing jig ever.

firefighter ontheside

Samandothers, the piers are 24" deep and 8" diameter poured concrete.  No gravel.  Since its not attached to a house, I'm not worried about if it is affected by freezing a little in the winter.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

olcowhand

Put together one of the Raised Garden Boxes discussed in another thread, which I'll also post in- because I used more lumber than others' have.
I wanted to do something with some of the Red Pine I've been Milling, and I wanted to see how these Box's hold up. I filled mine with dirt, and it's very sturdy. My lovely bride is going to plant Cabbage and Broccoli in it, and wants a longer, shallower one for Strawberries. I intend to sell these eventually....

Tank thinks it's okay; nothing to write home about (which is good, because he doesn't have a pencil & paper- and he's already home...).
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

doc henderson

Nor does he have an opposable thumb!   running-doggy   :)   thumbs-up

Thank You Sponsors!