iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bringing vintage bandsaw back in service

Started by JMichael, June 09, 2022, 12:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMichael

Duplicate post, I'll delete if I can figure out how to.

Topics merged by Admin, See post below for bandsaw details

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  That looks like the type of stack you would see with a hydraulic gland inside of a piston.  I would bring the housing and the shaft to a hydraulic shop and I suspect they could spec out a seal kit that will keep the grease in.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rusticretreater

Determine the make and model and look at the ww.vintagemachinery.org and owwm.org(old wood working machines).  The first website is an archive of machines, with photos and documentation.  The second is a forum like this where you might find tips or information for your saw.

You may get lucky and find the docs and info you need.

FYI
The forestry forum software makes a decision on how to display the picture based on its dimensions.  When you go to add the picture to the post, there are control buttons(-90 +90 degrees) to allow you to rotate it to get the correct orientation right above the big link CLICK HERE TO INSERT IMAGE IN POST.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

JMichael

Hello, I'm Mike. I'm trying to put an old saw back in serviceable condition. And while I'm not doing a "restore", I'm trying to keep it as original as I can although there's going to be some guesstimation involved because I haven't even been able to find out who it's made by so far. But my reason for posting is I'm trying to find out what short of seal this motor used for the output shaft. It has a gear reduction built in to the motor. There are 3 grooves separated by about 1/8". I would appreciate any info on what sort of seal this is supposed to use. And maybe a suitable substitute or work-around. I had already started taking it apart when this pic was taken and I'm unable to find the only pic of it I have showing it complete right now.

JMichael

I found that site a few months ago with the pictures and info on vintage saws and looked at every 18" that I could find in their files and didn't find anything like this one. I'll try the forum you listed. Thank you.

JMichael

Quote from: Southside on June 09, 2022, 12:39:24 AM
Welcome to the Forum.  That looks like the type of stack you would see with a hydraulic gland inside of a piston.  I would bring the housing and the shaft to a hydraulic shop and I suspect they could spec out a seal kit that will keep the grease in.  
Thank you. I know almost nothing about hydraulics although I have watched some cylinders being repaired before on youtube. The closest shop to me is probably going to be 40-50 miles so I'll keep that idea in mind in case I don't find a better solution. Thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!