iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kids sled

Started by Wlmedley, October 14, 2022, 09:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

Hoping to build my grandson a sled ,hopefully before it snows.Found a picture of one which is built out of red oak and claims to be 10 lbs.This is what I would like to try to build.The only dry wood I have is walnut which was cut on a circular mill about 40 years ago and has been in my barn and is what I will use for everything but the runners. I have some hickory logs and some lumber.Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I could bend and dry green hickory to make runners and seat back.All the walnut will be hand planed .I've already planed some and it turned out pretty good.Want to make it as light as possible.Also any ideas on thickness of runners,can't really tell by picture 

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Wlmedley

Also wondering how wood for bending should be cut.Quarter sawn?
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

btulloh

Cool project. Not trying tp spoil your party, but it's probably better to think about having it for next year. 

Flat sawn hickory for the runners and curved part. You really ought to use hickory or maple for the other parts. Walnut tpreally doesn't habe the best properties for this, although it could be sort of ok. 

The hickory should be from the sap wood for the curved parts. Ideally a younger hickory. Real mature hickory wood is more brittle which is not what you really want for a sled that's going to take some abuse. 

You'll need to make some forms for the bent parts. Rig up a simple steamer box fed by a kettle on your wood stove. Not complicated, just a narrow box big enough to put the parts in one buy one. When you're making stock for curved parts, make extras because some are going to fracture when your putting them in the forms. Pay attention to grain runout along the curved parts. Select for straight grain on the edge with little or no slope. Let parts dry in the forms for a couple weeks.  Sit them near your wood stove to promote drying, but not so close they dry too fast. 

The material looks to me like 1/4" thick or a hair less. Tight bends won't work on thick stock.   

Thin stock like that might dry fast enough for this year's sledding, but you can't rush it too much.

Looks like a real fun project to do - and use. No doubt it will be greatly appreciated and enjoyed.
HM126

doc henderson

I have bent walnut, but it must be strait grained.  it needs heat and moisture.  If you have green wood, you can bend it after heating it and let it cool and dry in the forms.  If you have a mill, this may be the fasted and best.  if you cannot bend the thicker stuff, get thin pieces and laminate several layers.  if you are going for contrast, you could put a layer of maple or oak between two layers of walnut.  you can make one form and stack several runners on top of each other, but it will slow the drying.  lots of "winter glam catalogs" like LL bean sell these "old fashion sleds".  if you have bigger stock, you can bandsaw the curve right in the runner.  since you are the designer builder, you can make the back square if you want.  many woods can be bent and or laminated.  Better to do right off the saw.  why pay for kiln dried lumber to heat and steam moisture in again.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

here is one from LL bean with a cushion.  over 250 bucks.

we have one in the basement, but our kids are 21 and 23. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

One or two additional thoughts:  You'll get the very best results for bent wood by riving out the parts with a fro. Riving gives you the opportunity to follow the grain so there's absolutely no runout. Hand plane and scrape to final thickness. 

Freshly felled young hickory (or white oak) is best.  No larger than 8" in diameter.  Split out blanks form the sap wood along radials the the rive along the growth rings of your blank to make the stock.  Buck to lengths just long enough to make a part, plus a little trim. Selecting a good tree with straight grain is crucial. 

A nice side benefit is you'll make a lot of good kindling in the process. lol
HM126

doc henderson

Larry

A great resource for steam bending information.  Lee Valley steam bending instructions

I like air dried wood at 20 percent to bend.  I've used a lot drier and some wetter.  I use a drywall steamer to put steam in my wood box.  I use old sawmill bands most of the time for the strap.  It takes practice to get it right.  I went from 40% success to better than 90%.  Have to get the time just right for the wood you are using.

Bending red oak for a banana hanger I make.  I have the dimensions and time in the steamer written on the form.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dougtrr2

When you steam bend to a form, keep in mind that the wood will spring back.  You need to take that into account.

Doug in SW IA

Wlmedley

Thanks for the information.I don't have a woodworking shop but I still like making stuff mostly without a lot of fancy equipment.I have a fro,drawknife and several planes and clamps and the usual carpenter power tools.No table saw ,power planer or router.I get a kick out of seeing what I can build with limited equipment. I guess I have to many hobbies to be able to invest heavily in any one thing.Some good ideas,I'm going to give it a shot.Probably won't be perfect but if it looks pretty good,is light and will slide in the snow that's good enough for me.Swamp Donkey I read all about your snow sled adventure and really enjoyed it.Will try fro out also.I bought it and have never really used it.Larry I like your jig and bandsaw blade idea.

Wlmedley

PS I will post some pictures as project progresses.Laughing is allowed along with constructive criticism.I have thick skin  :laugh:

SwampDonkey

I've gone out over the hills behind grandfather's for over a mile and harvested yellow birch, and dragged it home on a hand sled for canoe paddles. Then whiddled them out with an axe after having split the log in two with the axe. Breaks the boredom of idleness when you've got something to do in the winter. Need lots of hobbies. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

btulloh

A fro, drawknife and a hand plane will get you a long way. Check out The Foxfire Book series about mountain craft for inspiration.  Book one to start. 
HM126

Wlmedley

Btulloh,You're right about the Foxfire books. I have six of them.Not sure how many there are.I have tried several of their projects.Was wanting to build a spring house once but couldn't find a reliable water source.Dug out a place in a wet spot but it didn't work out.Really liked the story about the old woman whose neighbor slaughtered a hog a brought her the head to make souse.Reminded me of my grandparents.Lot of good stuff in those books.

Wlmedley

Got the frame for my little sled cut and put together.Used hickory for most of it.Two bottom pieces are oak.Got floor boards cut to length but need to round off both ends and plane edges before installing.Have been using screws and glue.I know wood isn't as dry as it should be but plan is put it all together,maybe  clamp some braces on critical areas and set it in front of wood stove for awhile.Going to cut runners and curved back section next.Taking Btullohs advice about using wood stove to help dry wood 

Wlmedley

Got floor boards rounded off and sanded.Screwed and glued them on.Hope they don't move much.Bought inside to let wood dry more and see what happens before I bend and install runners and back piece.Hickory is really pretty wood.

Don P

The first snow was sled building time in one shop I worked in, there was a hill out back. It was strictly slap some scrap together, slather it in wax and hit the slope  :D I think the hit was a very fast but completely unsteerable toe-boggin.

kantuckid

I bend chair back slats all the time, most always walnut. The easiest way for that sled is boiled water as only the ends are bent. Steam is more effective but calls for a chamber.
 Design a form of some sort to control the bend after removed from water. A deep canner would suffice-thats what I use for chair parts is a very deep pan. I saw my rockers, not bent.   I see no problem with hickory or oak, white oak lasts best and stronger but with care several would work. Might want to saw out an extra for a bend failure and allow for some rebound of the curve.
 I have an adult sized toboggan plan but never got it built. We did buy several plastic sleds when son's were young that have a small trike like seat and steerable runners that makes for a super fun rider compared to a wooden sled if they're old enough to hang on and steer. Spray some WD40 on the plastic runners and yer off. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Wlmedley

My little grandson isn't much of a rider .He likes pushing his ride on toys more than riding them,usually down the steepest hill he can find.He will probably want to pull this sled more than ride it so I'm trying to make it as light as possible.He only weighs 25 lbs and I'm guessing sled will weigh around 10 to 12 lbs.When we were kids our uncle gave us his sons old sled which was like new.It was a Western Flyer from Western Auto store.It would carry 3 small kids or 2 larger kids We rode that thing for years.It met its death on a gas line right of way when me and another boy went air borne after hitting a water break.It broke in half and pinched a big blood blister across his behind. I couldn't help but laugh,I still think it's funny 😄 

doc henderson

we lived on a very steep street.  in the winter we would sled down the hill.  after learning to drive, we were taught to get up the hill. do a 180 then steer into the curb to stop.   we would all sled down the hill.  you had to be careful not to hit the back of parked cars.  one time we sledded from after school till dark.  did not even stop to pee.  so, once in the house, I had to "go" and found my zipper packed with frozen snow.  no go then I did go, and it thawed out the zipper.  I was laughing so hard; I could not stop.  

beenthere

And then you woke up !  8)    :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kantuckid

A steep street in Kansas? :D Thats a good one! 
I grew up in Topeka which had exactly one sledding hill in town. Nearer to me was an even better spot where the hill descended toward the Kaw River valley floor-but you had to kind of watch out for the barbwire. Out west of town ~20 miles, the sledding was lots better as the Flint Hills came into play.
  Now, living in E KY I'm thankful for the few flat spots we own, some I paid to create in fact. I used to CC ski here on our place but knees don't like it much now. 

doc henderson

the street at the top of our hill, was called hill street.  Hill street went down for 5 blocks, and it felt like you could go 30 mph on a bike, and you could barely pedal your 5 speed Schwin home after school.  We had a path in all the back yards as well, and lots of jumps as the 7 houses below us had level back yards with 8-foot drops between the yards.  My dad would walk to the bottom and drive my mom's car up.  It was steep enough that in the winter, over half the neighbors parked at the bottom.  One year my cousin Mike and his family came up for Christmas, so they were dressed nice.  He got out of the car and spontaneously started sliding down the hill in his dress shoes.  he had to grab a car and walk in the deep snow to walk back up to our house or wait till thaw. :snowball:

Wlmedley

Got my jig made to try and bend my runners.Made it  to fit approximately 3/8" thick stock.Don't know if I can or need to make them that thick.Will experiment with different thicknesses.Think I'll try 1/4" first.I hope jig will be strong enough.Braced it where I thought the most strain would be.Turning out to be a pretty big job but that's the way it is with most of my little projects.

Old Greenhorn

I await the next step with baited breath. Neat project.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

looks good.  if there is a lot of tension (depends on species, thickness, heat and moisture) it may try to tip the top edge.  if so, you could make a more solid version and use clamps and maybe even make two at a time stacked one on top of the other.

SwampDonkey

A steam chest is cheap to build. All I used was heat duct, insulated with spray foam outside, closed the ends, one end with a fitting for a water hose supplied by a boil barrel (metal grease pale). Go for it!!  8) 8) Test the boil time on some test pieces,  then jump in with both feet. Work quickly though, have every step rehearsed to get those suckers in the form. Don't forget the insulated gloves. Hot potatoes. :D :D

kantuckid

Using a bench vise as one aspect of a wood bend can simplify the bend. The work bench adds its part to the operation. I bend my chair back slats using pieces of 2x2's and clamping a bunch of slats to a bench top. No jig involved. Your bend calls for some extra length at the extreme bend area. Chair slats I can get by with none. 
If I was building a toboggan I'd do the steam. 

Don P

My porch light was misfiring while playing with the new logsplitter. a lot of bending potential there.

kantuckid

I sold my 3pt hitch mtd., hyd wood splitter to the guy who bought my tractor last year as my back has decided it lacks bending potential. My porch lights only issue is the birds like to build on the ceiling box above it so I've had a Dr pepper can jammed up their for couple of years. Most folks don't notice the can.  

Wlmedley

Bent my first runner today.Made a metal strap out of a old band blade some fool had knocked the teeth off of on his backstops.Larry gave me the idea.Worked out pretty good.Should have made strap a little wider.Runners 3" wide and strap 2 1/2"wide .Had a little splinter on one edge where strap didn't cover.Rigged up a low budget steamer.Got wood hot but only 1/4" thick so it cooled off quickly.Probably will make at least one extra runner in case something bad happens  :laugh:

Wlmedley

My steamer isn't working very well.Hard to control fire and keep from burning my hose up.Found a wallpaper steamer at Lowes made by Wagner for $69.I bought it and some end caps for my pvc pipe.Drilled and taped pipe for a 1/4" nipple which is what hose that came with steamer is.I think this setup will work a lot better.This is what I should have done to begin with.Being tight seems to always come back to bite me.Now I have a burnt up $20 tea kettle. :'(

Don P

Quote from: Wlmedley on November 02, 2022, 07:25:43 PMMade a metal strap out of a old band blade some fool had knocked the teeth off of on his backstops.Larry gave me the idea
Looking good!
Glad Larry's idea about knocking the teeth off on the backstops worked out.

Wlmedley

Larry needs to be more careful  :laugh:

Wlmedley

Took my runners out of jig today.They seem fairly dry and are only 1/4" thick.Fastened them to sled and brought inside to dry some more.Set in front of stove for picture but moved out of direct heat.Still have an extra runner in jig in case I need it.Now have to bend back rest and sand some more.Don't really know what to use as a finish.I have some spar urethane that would probably be okay.

doc henderson

looks great.  our sled like that spent 20 minutes at a time with little kids on it two or three times a year.  then the rest in the basement.  Urethane will be fine.  could add red and green stain and or paint.  should be a family heirloom.

Wlmedley

I don't figure this one will get used very much.My son and DIL live in a subdivision and if it snows enough and they happen to be off work they might pull him around the neighborhood a little bit.If it holds up maybe it will give him something to remember his old pap paw :laugh:

doc henderson

you will have to find a spot to write something with you name and the date. maybe a message.  i could engrave it but you may find someone closer.
If there is a board that goes across the front, you could send it to me, or draw the dimensions and I could make and engrave it and send it to you.  or just a small plaque to attach.  pm me if you want.

Wlmedley

Doc, I appreciate the offer.I have a butane soldering iron that works pretty well for burning letters in wood that I am going to try.If it doesn't work out I'll give you a holler. Thanks again!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kantuckid

My cross country skis have plastic on the bottom. It might be easier to make a plastic runner from sheet plastic. My skis were repairable surface using hotmelt plastic sticks so a PVC plastic? Also no rust to deal with. 

SwampDonkey

Teflon, countersink some small bolts from the underside in thin stock. Teflon is used up here on potato harvesters along the sides of the elevator beds. I put Teflon on my sleds, I countersunk screws because there is lots of meat to go into. Someone said it will degrade or something. Can't see why (and never did degrade in 10 years) if they can take rocks and mud scraping them up on a potato harvester. :D

SwampDonkey

Forgot to mention it, saw one just like it in the hardware store last week. ;)

Kids wooden winter sleigh.

Wlmedley

SwampDonkey, I like the idea of putting Teflon strips on bottoms of runners.Do you think it would bend okay?It might make runners a bit stronger as I am a little bit concerned about them breaking.Did you just bolt them or use some sort of glue also.Wish you hadn't posted hardware link.I didn't know they sold them that cheap :laugh:Wonder where I could get strips.

doc henderson

I do not think that one will last.  look at the uprights ect.

Old Greenhorn

Teflon is quite expensive, if you have a cheap source I am all ears. I used to to a lot of plastics work in a prior career. If you can find HDPE or UMHW they will be cheaper substitutes by far and are tougher than Teflon, which is quite soft. Often all three materials are confused because they all look similar. Teflon is pure solid white and the other two are more of a milky white. Back when I was using and buying, you could get a whole sheet of UHMW for what a square foot of Teflon cost.

When you attach whatever you get, I suggest using countersunk screws to spread the load out to hold them on better. Just get the head a bit below the working surface and use stainless if you can.

I think you've built a mighty fine sled there and if it's not too late, I would use Exterior oil based poly to hold up to the snow. Make sure there are no bare wood spots left because that is where the moisture will enter and do it's thing. The design reminds of those sleds everybody used to have in the Scandinavian Countries and now you seldom see. Similar design, but a bit larger and the back frame comes up to the height a standing adult would rest their arms at. They were for pushing and used trips to the store for groceries, etc. Like a snow shopping cart. Most just had a low seat on the front.  Officially called a 'Nansen Spark' they are also called kick sleds and have a bit of a following. They even have a world cup race for the spark. https://www.norwegianamerican.com/sparks-fly-across-norway/ and it appears you have just enough time to build one and enter this year's race. :D
Somebody is going to have fun the next few winters!

EDITED TO ADD: I just took a quick look at Teflon (PTFE) prices and yeah, it will still knock your socks off. Of course if you can get it like SD did and drop offs or scrap you might get lucky. For bending of UHWN or HDPE you can soak it in really hot water  or soften with a heat blanket (be careful!) and just wrap it. Don't soak Teflon. Fist, it is soft enough to make those bends cold, and second, it will soak up a lot of water.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

SwampDonkey

Teflon is very flexible, I used 1/4" I think. I got it at a local fab/welding shop. They have all kinds of scrap. I live in an area that makes potato farm equipment, like conveyors, roller tables, and grading tables.

Like Doc said, the one in the link doesn't have solid jointery like yours. Then again, it is mainly for pre school sized kids. But might depend on what you can't see. There are bolt joints used sometimes, toward the inside face unseen. Basically a hole up through the end of the upright and the bolt end goes up through the base and into the upright. A hole is drilled 90 into the upright where a nut is placed and the bolt threaded up through. See it on backs of old rockers, into the arm. Nut is hidden on the underside. Tension of the nut is on the end grain of the wood, side grain on the bolt head side. Easily hidden behind that steel back piece in the linked sled. ;)

SwampDonkey

You can buy those kick sleds here in NS or Quebec. You usually have to pre order like in November. They come from Europe in January.

Esla Kicksled T6 (Large) | maritime-mushing

Wlmedley

You're right Doc,they didn't do a very good job fastening their uprights.I didn't notice.Makes me feel better about mine.OGH,thanks for the compliment and info.I don't know anything about plastic.It will be awhile before I put any finish on it.I've learned one thing,it's hard to turn an old mechanic into a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

It's been 15 years since I got some Teflon for the sleds, but I don't think it was more than $25 a pair, they cut it off of long narrow scrap. They use narrow stuff to line machinery to reduce wear. In another town 40 minutes from here is comes dry in tubs, they make their own shapes in moulds, something like that. I knew a guy that used their empties to ferment wine. :D

doc henderson

these sleds are designed to pull infants or toddlers bundled in snow suits and get pics for a Christmas card.  I bet the wood is fine, and they will not be trying to go down a hill lubed up like Clark G. in Christmas vacation. :snowball: you could add the plastic surface if the wood really sees some wear.  even use the plastic from an IBC tote liner.  If you can find the right way to glue it up.  I would start plain.  My kids are in their 20s and our sled kept inside looks brand new.

21incher

Remember most plastic will expand and contract 3x as much as wood so it should only be fastened at one end or very thin with flexible adhesive. Adhesive for UHMW will cost you $50.00 a tube  :o
Melt some paraffin on the runners and scrape it flat so the snow doesn't stick for the photo ops. That's all we ever used on our wooden skis and toboggans when I was young.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Wlmedley

Doc,21incher,you're both probably right.The more I do to it the more chances of screwing it up.I'll probably bend back rest and finish it and call it quits. I can always replace runners if needed and I like the looks of it without plastic. I always overthink things. I'm really tired of fooling with it.It will never be used like SwampDonkey used his.

SwampDonkey

Teflon has an operational temperature range of -300 degrees Fahrenheit and +450 degrees Fahrenheit. You'd have to have awfully cold or awfully hot to get those kinds of dimensional changes suggested. :D Never been a problem on my sleds. It doesn't go brittle in cold either and stays flexible. Just saying. ;)

doc henderson

my dad had a roll of plastic that was prob. 14 inches wide.  he made us a toboggin by putting some strait rails down each side and fastened with pop rivets.  it wanted to roll back up and this made the flat seated area and the front rounded up.  we were older and it eventually broke.   :snowball:

SwampDonkey

Reminds me of crazy carpets, they always rolled back up. :D

Mother said all they used was waxed butchers boxes to take apart and slide on. ;D

SwampDonkey

My cousins had a long bobsled with rear brakes by pulling levers and foot steering on front. That would go down an iced or packed snow road. :D  Nice long run down uncle's drive way and down to the church by the main road. I haven't seen that thing in 45 years.

doc henderson

we used to slide down a grassy hill in the fall when the grass was dormant.  used a box until it turned into a flat chunk of cardboard.

Old Greenhorn

Well this is truly a great project with a great resulting build coming out of it. Just for the folks that will read this one for reference for a similar build in the future it bothered me that I didn't take the time to look up those plastic prices for the builder that wants to include them. I priced out 1/4x6x48" pieces, thinking you could get at least two and maybe 4 strips out of it. Using the same vendor, so the prices compare properly.

HDPE= $29.75
UMHW= $82.58
PTFE= $177.13

I just wanted to keep the record straight on that.

As for waxing, probably your best bet, now that we are entering the season if you got to a cross country ski shop, get the white Swix wax. That is the lowest temp and should work for you well as a general purpose sliding wax.

doc henderson

SwampDonkey

Yeah, white Teflon is CDN$437 for 1/4" x 12" x 48" if you go purchase it that way. Scraps are way cheaper, but you need a source. ;D It is also superior to the other plastics against wear and good slide characteristics.

I used to have one of those flying saucer type sleds. It's someplace down in the woods the last time I saw it. :D

Don P

Keep your eyes and ears open too. One of the glass plants here was using UHMW in crating operations. Their drops have been great beam bearing blocks.

As far as mixing plastic and wood through temperature swings, it is a real problem, check the thermal expansion numbers on the data sheets. Wood moves in response to moisture, plastic in response to temperature.

I built a new type plastic topped deck one time during the shoulder season, about now. They were very specific about allowing for thermal expansion and contraction, complete with tables and equations for gaps around notches, ends of runs, etc. I mean there was a small book. Outside in the real world we were doing substantial temperature swings between when stuff was measured, figgered, and screwed down. As it got colder I could see the notches binding on posts and the corners of them turning white. Even with all that brilliance it didn't seem like the best idea.

kantuckid

ebay for plastic small pieces. many sellers of "scraps" plastic and metals. It's my go to spot for certain items. Not that I know what teflon sells for. My skis are not wooden. I use WD40 on our plastic sleds. 

SwampDonkey

A narrow wooden runner might move 1/16" or an 1/8" after being kilned. A narrow piece of Teflon, not much different. It's not going to be a joint, but a topical thing. ;) Don't overthink it like a PHD in physics and 200 degrees in temperature change. It will survive at -100F, you ain't. :D

Wlmedley

I've got to thinking back when my son was a kid and although we had a regular steel runner sled and a metal disc sled we had the most fun sledding on a large truck inner tube.It would slide on about any snow conditions and rode pretty good although you couldn't steer it.I'm going to find one so when my grandson comes up here we can ride it.When I was a kid with no video games and no television we figured out ways to entertain ourselves all year long.A old Buick car hood made a pretty exciting ride down a steep gas line right of way if you had enough boys to drag it to the top :laugh:

21incher

The good thing about  using tubes was at the bottom of our sledding  hill was a stream. If you didn't stop in time with  a tube you didn't  get totally soaked. Sleights and tobbagons sunk quickly. Surviving childhood was tough back then with very little adult supervision.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

Used to like the crust to slide on, could slide about a 1/2 mile down the field before the woods. :D If it was thick enough it was like walking on concrete back up to hill. ;) Wasn't steep. About the only supervision was making sure the snow on your clothes was knocked off outside. :D

thecfarm

I remember sliding with those plastic sleds in my 20's.
One time my brother was taking his 4 year old down the hill. I heard someone holler really loud and saw my nephew all by himself go by me saying MaMa MaMa. I ran after him but the trees at the end of the field stopped him.  :o   He was fine and happy when I got to him. All was relieved as they were all running down the hill!!
We use to slide down the road I live on growing up.
Only had crust maybe once a year to slide on.
I went sliding about 10 years ago down the side of the road. I don't remember the walk back up the road being that long!!!
Then we would go sliding when the full moon was out.
We really thought we had something that night.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wlmedley

Finally got a warm day to bend my back rest which is the last piece I need to finish this project.Built a steam box out of hickory being plastic pipe I used for runners wasn't working to well.Built a form to bend back rest.Took two try's to get a good one.First one bent ok but came out of steamer cupped on one end and when I clamped it it cracked .Second one worked out pretty good.Going to let it dry awhile before attaching to sled.Hope to have it finished by Christmas.Found out building forms and steamer more work than building sled.Maybe I'll build another one someday being I now have everything ready.

Wlmedley

Hopefully this project is about finished.Got back rest on today and cross piece on front to fasten rope to.Predrilled all holes and nothing cracked (I was holding my breath).Brought it inside to dry some more.Need to sand a little more and apply finish.Bought a can of spar urathane .Hope it works ok I used it on my front door and seemed to hold up pretty good.Should be ready by Christmas  :laugh:

Magicman

That is magnificent !!!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

You got'er done. Great stuff. smiley_thumbsup smiley_christmas

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Wlmedley

Thanks for the compliments.Turned out to be a pretty difficult job.Especially for me. 

doc henderson

I made a teddy bear rocking chair for my first great niece.  made simple benches for the ones to come and worried they would all want the rocking chair.  lots more work.  Nope the first one wanted a simple bench since everyone got one.  I explained that she got the nice rocker and she agreed, but very sweetly said she would also like a bench.  I got it.  She was not "evil" or selfish.  so I made her one.  better asses how many grandkids ect. may want one int the future.  do not throw away the jigs.  the rocker was made from a spalted dead standing oak cut down from the house that my wife's aunt and grandmother lived in.  so 5 generations.  she got a letter telling the history of the family spanning that time.  she was just walking when she got the chair.

Wlmedley

4 days till Christmas and the sled is finally finished.Two coats of spar urethane with a little sanding between coats and hopefully good to go.Burnt my initials and year on the bottom.Got it in the house now to finish drying.Had it in the garage with a small electric heater blowing on it so it doesn't smell to bad.Put two SS eyes on front to hook rope to.Now I can concentrate on getting house cleaned up and some Christmas dinner preparations.

Magicman

That is an awesome project and will become a family treasure.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Looks great, but you do need some snow for some real pics.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wlmedley

Weatherman says we will probably get a little snow Friday with pretty cold temperatures so if my little buddy makes it up here Christmas and he isn't sick I'll take a few pictures of him on it  :laugh:

doc henderson

what a perfect gift and Christmas.  

Walnut Beast

Wlmedley

Very little snow so we tried sled out in the house.It seems to fit him pretty good 

😊 

doc henderson

looks great and he can grow a bit and still use it.  perfect!

Walnut Beast

Looks like it was a hit! #hand crafted 💪! 

Brad_bb

I'm late to this party, but that is cool!  Great execution!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

thecfarm

Old Greenhorn

Looks like you got 'the money shot' right there!
 Please do take another one when you get him out into the wild. That could make a good wall hanger of a photo.
 It sure does make all that work worthwhile when you see the smile, don't it?

Jeff

So awesome. It must be such a great thing to have a Grand dad, and for  Grand parents to have Grand children, especially at Christmas.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I'm still up for adoption.  ;D

Wlmedley

Hopefully before winter is over we will have a good snow and I can get him outside to try it out.My son and daughter in law brought him up yesterday with out a heavy coat and no shoes planning to stay inside and a short distance between car and back door.He's a handful and wore me out yesterday but I love every minute of it.

21incher

That smile on his face says it all. Beautiful job.

Crusarius

MM, I would adopt you just to get a fraction of your knowledge.

Thank You Sponsors!