iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

color shift table top honey locust.

Started by doc henderson, December 03, 2022, 11:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Hey guys.  I just got some follow up from my tree service friend Sean.  I milled a honey locust for him to make a table.  It has been years in the process.  He stacked and air dried and then finished in a solar kiln.  He is now modifying his own band mill.  He sent me a pic and we spoke today.  He used book matched boards, but had a different tone to the wood.  In the pics you can see they are book matched, but seemed to finish differently.  one has a "redder" tone.  Interestingly, it switches looking from the other end.  they are oriented the same length wise, but were face to face in the log.  what say yall.  He used oil based general finishes arm-r-all.  

but wait, there is more.  He just sent a pic from the end and they look the same.  what the heck.  any ideas?  I assume it may be the reflection/iridescence from the slope of grain?   was noticed some before the finish.

<b

now if that does not keep you up at night and make you not want to work with natural stuff called wood.   :snowball:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Just go a few more pics.  he can see it in most of the book matches but not to the degree of the first example.  yes he made the legs and here is a shot of the table overall.  very nice.  i blame the sawyer (me).   :)

we milled this a few years back before he had his own mill.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

There's a lot of steep grain in those two pieces. Changes the way the light is reflected depending on light angle and viewing angle. It's a very exaggerated example of chatoyance.  Nice table. 
HM126

Larry

Color difference may be from sanding.  If he used a stroke, wide belt, or drum sander and fed the boards from different directions that might account for it.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don P

Quote from: btulloh on December 03, 2022, 11:35:46 AM
There's a lot of steep grain in those two pieces. Changes the way the light is reflected depending on light angle and viewing angle. It's a very exaggerated example of chatoyance.  Nice table.

Bingo, which way your eye is stroking the cats fur.

Look at the grain direction on the edges and you'll see a diagonal. That bias is back and forth when you flip the boards. There is another analogy, bias plies when you "look" through the table edgewise.

btulloh

That table would be perfect in my new house. Can he deliver to Virginia? lol

(I'll need chairs also!)
HM126

beenthere

The table looks great. No question that is some fine cabinet woodworking skill put to work. 

And yes, interesting that the grain seen from different angles coming to the surface gives it the color difference. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

btulloh

Reducing the gloss would lessen the effect somewhat because there's refraction plays a part. The finish in in the open ends of the grain creates a bit of a mirror/lens effect. He probably chose a higher gloss on purpose though. The gloss could be reduced by either rubbing out with pumice or adding a lower gloss top coat. 

I think the color variation is just part of the beauty of working in wood. 
HM126

doc henderson

His young boys work with him.  the table has two legs in this pic, but can extend to 23 feet and the seen legs split and make 4 legs.

doc henderson

Don P

Dark night, hang a blacklight over the table and walk around it. I bet it would be neat.

I dunno, Pink Floyd keeps playing in the background of my mind  :D

Southside

Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

doc henderson

reminds me, what do the USS Enterprize and a roll of toilet paper have in common.

they both circle Uranus in search of Klingons!   :D :D :D

doc henderson

SeanF

Texas Ranger

I refinished an antique oak table top and leaves.  They stained out and finished the same, but had the same reflection shift  when you looked at them from different sides or angles.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

welcome Sean.  getting lots of Ks guys on here!  

SwampDonkey

Nice table Sean. Love the grain patterns. Yeah, the light plays tricks. 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

firefighter ontheside

Amazing Table!  It's like one of those To and Fro toys we used to get that was a different image depending on which direction you looked at it from.  I wonder if direction that the boards traveled thru a planer had anything to do with it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

beenthere

Maybe the direction the grain approaches the surface? Looking away from the cells, vs looking into the ends of the cells? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

they are all book matched, so lived in the log a fraction of an inch apart.  but opened up like a book, so in a sense oriented opposite each other.  I assume they were disoriented and planed randomly.

tacks Y

Very nice! Can you explain how the slide works to get to 23'? I made mine with oak and steel, not as fancy but plenty heavy. Finding it is to small as the family grows.

SeanF

I made the sliders with a router bit from Infinity, #18-633.

There are 3 sliders on each side, about 2 1/2" x 2 1/2". 

The middle sliders of each set are 8 1/2ft long and attached to a leg at each end. The legs are stabilised by a board connecting them near the floor. The satellite sliders and their legs are 8'9" from edge of tabletop to end of sliders, so when the table is extended to the full 23 feet, the sliders overlap about 16 or 17 inches on each side.

Thank You Sponsors!