iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good beginner lathe?

Started by sawman, January 30, 2007, 07:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawman

Just got a Grizzly catalog today and was looking at their model G0462
lathe, on page 116 of the 2007 catalog. Anyone have any input or experience
with this lathe or any other grizzly products/equipment.
Haven't had any experience with woodturning other than in high school almost
30 yrs ago. 

Spec on lathe
16"x 43" swivel head
2HP  motor 110v
1" x 8 tpi RH headstock spindle
MT #2 spindle and tail stock tapers
spindle bore 3/8
600-2400 RPM
0,60,90,120,180 degree headstock rotation

Any and all comments and or suggestions welcomed.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

pigman

sawman, I looked at that lathe myself. I have a Jet 1236 that I got when I started woodworking. The Grizzly lathe looks to be heavier than my Jet, but not sure if it is enough step up for me, or should I wait for a big Powermatic or Oneway. ;D  It seems a lot of us have other Grizzly tools like planers, jointers and shapers, but I have not  heard of many having lathes.  I have also been looking at the Grizzly G0456 , 20" X 43" lathe.
I think you should buy the lathe and report back to us how you like it. ;) ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Faron

Sawman, I have the G1495 with the copy attachment.  I am very happy with it.  The copy attachment is real handy if you do balusters and such.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

metalspinner

Sawman,

The specs of this machine seem  impressive for the cost.  Under $500 delivered is pretty good.  The only thing that jumped out at me was the lowest speed of 600rpm. For a machine that can turn up to 16", that speed is pretty quick for off balance pieces.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sawman

What attachments should I consider or would I need to start out turning bowls?
Wallenstein FX85

metalspinner

QuoteWhat attachments should I consider or would I need to start out turning bowls

A good chuck like a Nova, a 1/2" bowl gouge, a scraper, parting tool, face shield, and a sharpening setup.  Of course, there are any number of substitute's for most of this list. :D

The chuck can be as simple as a $50 el cheapo, but you will be limited in the near future when you want to do different things.  There are several good chuck systems like the Nova.  This is the one I have that's why I mentioned it.  Others may volunteer another brand.

The 1/2" deep flute bowl gouge will get you through plenty of turnings.  As will a 1/2" splindle gouge.  It6 seems the sets available always have two or three tools you will rarely use.  I wouldn't recomend you buy a box set.

The face shield is a must for any turning.  They come in a wide variety of styles and prices.  I use a simple one.

The sharpening set up is criticle to your enjoyment.  I have the Wolverine set up on a slow speed grinder.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

pigman

It seems that lathe does not come with a faceplate. For bowl turning you will at least need a face plate and a good bowl gouge. Any 1' X 8TPI faceplate will work on that lathe. Grizzly has one for $15.95 (H7821). There are jaw chucks that some use, but you can do a lot of bowl turning with just a faceplate. I use a 3/8' bowl gouge for most of my bowls. If you plan do  any spindle turning, it would be cheaper to buy a complete set of turning tools. Turning sets run from $20 for the kind not fit to use, to over $500 for some high quality sets. The H1064  Grizzly set I have is a fairly decent set for $104.

It seems metalspinner has answered first and I would defer to his information.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sawman

Thanks to all for the responses, any info is greatly appreciated.
I am looking into things and trying to get a list put together with help from those of you with experience.
I am not for sure when I am going to take the plunge, but hoping to sometime this spring or summer if things work out to where I can.
Keep the info coming, please.
Wallenstein FX85

Don_Papenburg

Pigman is right that you can turn a lot of bowls witha a face plate . BUT if you invest in the Nova chuck or one of the other types like it you will be a lot happier with the wider range of turning that you can do . Abig plus is you don't have to worry about turning the points  off the mounting screws or glueing the bowl to a board.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

turningfool

i have 3 nova chucks myself and although more expensive than the so called cheapos..they are made to last a lifetime..fantastic holding power for recesses or tenons :o

CHARLIE

I bought a Jet 1236 about 1999 and it has served me well. I'm ready to move up to a bigger lathe but can't afford it yet. A lot of your lathes have a #2 Morse Taper. There are a lot of attachments available for a #2MT. The larger lathes seem to have a #3MT and the attachments are more spendy too.

You can spend a lot of money on tools. Metalspinner gave you good advice in not buying a set and he listed the tools needed to get a good start. You can turn a lot of stuff with just those tools. Be sure to buy High Speed Steel (HSS) tools. You can spend a lot of money on tools so look around a bit. Woodcraft, Penn State and Packard have good selections and brands.

I highly advise getting a good 3 jaw chuck. I couldn't be without mine. Sure, you can turn a lot using a faceplate, but you can turn a lot....a lot faster using a chuck and it simplifies turning a lot of things too. I have a Oneway Stronghold chuck and it ran about $280 if I remember right.  Take a look at Penn State. They have a chuck that looks like a knock off of a Stronghold chuck. I don't know what the quality is but the picture looks pretty good and the price is right.

Charlie
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!