iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wet stickers

Started by peterduncan, July 11, 2008, 10:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterduncan

We ran out of time to go and get some dry stickers for our newly cut white oak boards. I ended up  cutting the stickers out of the same oak and building the pile. Everything I have read is against this. In other words am I going to be in trouble with STICKER STAIN? :'(

Brad_S.

Luckily, white oak is not easily prone to staining. You will probably be OK.  In fact, I have read that using stickers that are very dry (i.e. just out of a kiln run) on white oak is not good as it can wick moisture away from the green lumber too quickly and cause surface checking along the wood under the sticker. I personally have never experienced either staining from too wet stickers or checking from too dry stickers on WO.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

peterduncan

TexasTimbers

I have been using stickers cut from the flitches of the same log will not stain the lumber because the MC is the same, and so is the species of course.

I have never heard the issue of stickering heartwood with sapwood in some species addressed, and I do not know if logs that have set for a while would have a lower MC in the stickers soo much that it would make a difference. But when I can, I cut stickers from the flitches (unless it really cathes my eye and it gets set aside) and haven't had any problems.

You will also find you often can't make enough stickers from the flitches of high grade logs (less waste) and you'll need more from elsewhere. I have been using ERC for stickers with every specie imaginable and so far have not noticed any sticker stain at all. The ERC I cut for stickers is as dry as you can get any species and down here they get that way within a week once you cut them. Still, no stain noticed on any species. YMMV.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

jim king

Many years ago I went home to Wisconsin and cut up a bunch of Poplar logs and used stickers from the same wood.  I got striped air dried wood.

The same thing happens here in the Amazon with soft (not dense) species.  The dense ones you can do anything with and not stain them.  I would assume it would be similar up there.

Thank You Sponsors!