iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw mill project Ideas wanted.

Started by Taylortractornut, September 14, 2011, 11:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylortractornut

For  a while now Ive been wanting to build a band mill or a chain mill.    I wasnt quite sure how to go about it though.   I had seen the   Logsol and  the Alaskan mills and  neither really suited me.      The other day talking to Meadows Miller and  Banjo picker when they visited  I got some great advice from Chris.     I want to go with a harvestor bar and a riping chain.     And set it up  with  my bar being raised on lead screws and on a carriage. 

My big  problem is   I dont have the cash to sink into another larger saw.     I saw a chain mill today that was used to  slab for a smaller bandmill and   it had a  saw motor but  it used a Jack shaft running a harvestor sprocket but with out a ripping chain.       I thought about this while running the  dozer but instead of a saw motor I can get a  12 to 15 hp   verticle shaft engine  for a  good savings over a new saw.      If I ran this larger sprocket with a ripping chain on my rig  would it work.       Ive got most of what I want for my  mill, I have some nice flanged rollers with bearings in them from some  chains from a papermill.   

I also rounded u a lead screw and a some number 40 chain to connect them.   Im sure I have the  stuff for the track and the tubing to make the carriage from.        I also remeber an  older Husky saw I have i nthe shed that  was low hours but my uncle droed it and broke the handle which was no longer available.      I could make it work on a smaller scale.    Right now  production and speed arent a concern.    I just have a few logs time to time that are too good to fire wood and  I need an occasional  board around the place.  Take care TL
My overload permit starts after sunset

paul case

do a search on chainsaw mill  by member tjb and you will see some pics of his chainsaw mill on some of his posts and i am sure they are in his gallery. i think his mill is what you are describing anyway. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Taylor I've never done it but I don't see why you couldn't use the harvestor bar,chain and mount the chain sprocket on a verticle shaft engine like they use on lawn tractors.Castor wheels are made with a "V" to ride on inverted angle iron.A passible lifting arrangement is a simple shaft with wire cable wrapped around it crank and ratchet to hold position. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Hilltop366

Check out this one.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41080.0/all.html#lastPost

I used a 16 hp (from a lawn tractor) with one belt, two belts would be better with that hp.

MotorSeven

TTN, I had two chainsaw mills(a Hudson & a Woodbug). They work well very plain and simple, but they are slow, and slower because you have to keep chains sharp. I ended up going to a LT15 band...huge difference if you are cutting to build. If for a hobby, chaiunsaw is fine.....jmho.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

sgschwend

Sounds like a good project.  Here is one caution.  The ripping chain is costly.  A 27RA chain is over $.50 per drive link.  Not sure what size you would need for a harvester bar, but their are .404 pitch .063 gauge bars so the 27RA chain would fit those .

I am going to try and use a different model ripping chain, which is half the price.  On my slabber I need 190 drive links, so one 27RA190 chain is $100 plus shipping. 

The other trick is to find a large sprocket so that the chain has decent rpm, I think mine is a 15 tooth.   Those may not cheap either.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Taylortractornut

Hilltop366 I just ran ay icross yours  on  Youtube.    Your mill is 99.9  percent what  I want.     The  3 phase rig I  saw was pretty quick.    Intentions are to later build a    band mill but  a Chain mill had me iterested  for  milling some  landfill trees and chunks for    a later project of a bowl  lathe. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

Hilltop366

Taylortractornut, reply # 6 and 16 pretty well sums up what I would do different if I was to make another, using a large chain saw would be easier and faster than the four stroke but I never liked the thought of ripping with one a lot, there just not made for it.

Bailey's has 3/8 chain @ $.24 per link and .404 @ $.29, The last time I looked they also had harvester sprockets.

Thank You Sponsors!