iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

is this a froe

Started by sawthemlogs, October 16, 2011, 09:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawthemlogs

dad picked this up at sale  .the blade has small curvature on the narrow side of blade
any ideas out there. not for sure if it is wood related..thanks
R.D.

Dave Shepard

No, it's not a froe. My guess is possibly a knife to cut blocks of peat. Doesn't really look like the hay knives I've seen, which would have five or six serrations on them. Not tonight, I've been squeezing apples all day, but soon. I suspect it would have been held with the left hand and beat into the peat with a mallet of club of some sort. I'm not sure of the prevalence of peat harvesting in this country.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_S.

I agree, not a froe...too wide and not sturdy enough. I am thinking perhaps a country store block cheese cutting knife?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

zopi

Yeah...a good maul and some white oak would wear that out pretty quick..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

In Eric Sloane's "Museum of Early American Tools" on p101 it shows a likeness of what is in the pic as a Hay Knife.

I have a copy and also found it on the internet for viewing.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zopi

Eric sloan...good author...his reverence for wood is one of my favorite books.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Don_Papenburg

I just got that book Zopi,  I am going to try propigating some apple trees like they show in the  book.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

jim king

I don´t know what it is called but before we had baled hay we had a couple that were used to cut the hay in the haymow so it was easier to pull loose and throw down the chute into the barn.  The difference being ours had serrated blades.  I don´t even know if that was what it was really for but it worked.

Bill Gaiche

Jim I know what you are talking about. We had one in the loft of our barn and dad used it to cut the hay so it could be seperated from the stack to be fed to the cows and horses. It was about three foot long with serated edge. bg

Ironwood

Hay knife , I have a twin to it here. I also have several variations of the serrated version. It is unusual but they must have been a semi standard design, slightly oversized compared to the serrated ones must have been partially mass produced, mine is nearly, if not completely identical. Mine has more of the tapered blade left on it, yours looks like it was shortened a bit.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!